• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nabonidus

Nabonidus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

First off, this is my first guide, so any feedback is appreciated. This is based on my personal experience with build experimentation and refinement, and is the build that served me best in my experiences.

General info:
Base Stats:
Base HP: 430
Base MP: 280
Base Armor: 12
Base MR: 30
Base Damage: 47
Base attack speed: 0.658
Movespeed: 300

Lvl up:
HP Gained: 80
MP Gained: 45
Armor Gained: 4
Damage Gained: 3
Attack speed: 0.02

Skills
Rising Spell Force (passive): Hitting a target with any of Ezreal's abilities increases his attack speed by 15% for 5 seconds (Max Stacks: 5).
Commentary: This passive alone is why building Ezreal as full AP is always going to be fool's gold. Take the hint.

Mystic Shot: Ezreal fires a bolt of energy, dealing 40/60/80/100/120 damage plus 100% of his attack damage (applies on hit effects).
Mana Cost: 30/35/40/45/50
Cooldown:6/5.5/5/4.5
Commentary:Hands down the most important skill in your Arsenal, whether you're going AD, Hybrid, or AP. It lowers your cooldowns, applies all on-hit effects, and procs sheen/lichbane on the actual spell hit.

Essence Flux: Ezreal fires a fluctuating wave of energy, damaging each enemy champion and healing each allied champion it passes through for 75/125/175/225/275 and respectively hasting and slowing each allied and enemy champion's attack speed by 20/25/30/35/40%.
Mana Cost: 30/35/40/45/50
Cooldown: 10 seconds
AP Ratio: .6:1 AP
Commentary: This tends to be the last ability people level up (Mostly because they're playing AD Ezreal and know not of what they speak). This is a linear nuke, heal, and haste/slow, all in one, with a 6s cooldown at max rank with CDR. It's a hefty mana bill, which is why AD builds scoff at it. But that's why Hybrid Ez sez: "Attack Damage is for POOR people."

Arcane Shift: Ezreal teleports to a target nearby location and fires a homing arrow which strikes the nearest enemy unit, dealing 80/130/180/230/280 damage.
Mana Cost:100
Cooldown:17/15/13/11/9 Seconds
AP Ratio:.75:1 AP
Commentary: This is a chasing/escape ability early on. Use it for anything else and you're bad and should feel bad. Even at max rank, if you're solo and not in a group, don't spam it. Bad. That's a BAD Ezreal.

Trueshot Barrage: Ezreal channels for 1 second to fire a powerful barrage of energy missiles which do 350/500/650 damage to each unit they pass through (deals 8% less damage to each unit it passes through).
Mana Cost: 150
Cooldown: 100 Seconds
AP Ratio: 1:1 AP
Comments: This spell is Ezreal's quintessential dick move. Max CDR, you're looking at 60 seconds. That's 700-1000 Damage on first target, every one minute. Follow the Zen of the HMG, and you will make people wish they could punch you in the face over the internet. Early on, you may want to farm minions with it. But after you've built up enough, it's time to play mind games.

1. Ward Both lizards and Both golems. If an enemy engages, let him get it low, then do the following: first, press R and target the golem/lizard/Nashor's general area. After that, type "Lol, thx". Grats, you just robbed them of their buff, and they know you damn well meant to. All while leaving them at a good 75-50% life.

2. Let an overconfident pusher with a few minions start to push on your turret. Fire R toward them. Proceed to laugh as they start running for their life after realizing that you not only removed ALL other targets from the turret, but you dropped them into low life.

3. Initiate ganks with it. If it's laning phase and they see this wave whack them, you'll visibly see the panic they're in, because now they have to outrun the teleporting machine gun.

4. Fire it off at the start of teamfights, then target your focus. Not only did you just nuke a huge chunk of their HP, but you also just increased your attack speed by 75%. See how high you can get it between rageblade, Nashor's and your passive. My record's 2.0.

Recommended Summoner Spells:
Teleport - Only TF can't make use of it. And he doesn't count, because he's bull****.
Cleanse - Good to have if you're enemies have a lot of CC. Being able to cleanse+blink out means you can survive the transition from "Squishy Machinegun" to "Heavy Machinegun", when you get your soul shroud.
Heal - Squishy DPS is squishy.
Clairvoyance - Generally you will be pretty good at sniping enemies in the forest. But a little help never hurts, and having one Clair is always adviseable. And with his ult it's like a 'get golem free card'. Tip: If you steal a buff this way, type into chat "I Took clairvoyance at champ select, and all I got was this stupid Nashor buff."

Acceptable Summoner Spells:
Ignite - Generally, you'll be able to run down and gun down who you please. However, it's all the more infuriating to die to an Ezreal who you thought had failed his gank because your team was chasing him, only to get ignited and watch him blink through a wall.
Exhaust - You should almost always have lizard buff, and that's enough of a slow. But exhaust does give you more room for a first blood, and it's handy if you end up in a DPS stand off with, say, twitch. It also makes for a fun addage - Try to outrun ezreal, and you'll just die tired. Try to outrun an Ezreal who has exhaust and you'll die tired, slowed and blinded.

Fools Gold (DO NOT WANT)
Flash - I'm not even going to say it. If you take flash as Ezreal, I'll just let your teammates say it for me.
Rally - Low cooldown flash should be enough of a hint that if you're standing in one place, you're doing it wrong.
Clarity - Only useful below level 6. After that, you should have golem, then Chalice. If you're still having mana issues after that apologize for your earlier comment about being able to solo the enemy team, and ask them to help.

Some notes:
Ezreal can be built three ways: AD, Hybrid, and AP. Because I find these terms boring, I have decided to name the builds metal slug style:

AD Build: SHOT-GUN!
This is the hard carry Ezreal who doesn't touch any skill except Q. His role is to fire 300-400 damage Mystic shots into your face, and autoattacking you until the "Critical" numbers above your head infest your being and drive you insane, turning you into a hollow shell of a former man. If you get too close, he's going to blink to safety, leaving you with 25% HP and crushed dreams.
This is an effective build, but limiting, and damn boring if I do say so. Not to knock on them. They're striking fear into the hearts of men with Ezreal, and for that they deserve praise.

AP Build: ROCKET LOUNGER!
This is the Ezreal who's going to be negating their passive by using W, R, and E offensively (hint: E offensively: Bad Idea). He'll likely blink behind your team several yards back, fire his volley and W, and either Blink to attack you and get pwned, or blink away and make it a 4v5.
The possibility that this build may be viable still exists. The possibility that Bigfoot exists too, but I'm not camped out in the woods waiting to find him.

Hybrid Build: HEAVY MACHINEGUN!
The best of both worlds, with the ability to act as a solid DPS and still use his abilities to strong effect. But most importantly is the way this build plays: Your job isn't to kill, or chase (though you will be able to do both somewhat effectively). Not even to CC. Your job is sheer mind****ery.
You want the enemy worried that you're always one step ahead of them when they're low, always JUST out of reach, and always making their life hell, be it stealing neutrals, popping through a wall to catch the shaco at 15% who thought he was safe, or hanging out in the back of your group keeping a steady 800 health and 80% attack speed gap going.
Heavy Machinegun isn't just physical DPS. It's psychological warfare. If someone from the other team isn't cursing you out in chat, you should consider it an insult.

Learning the ways of the HMG
First off, you are going to get your butt kicked. Accept that fact. Find some friends to team up with for your first few runs. HMG is 35% DPS, 65% juking. You're going to need to be confident you can land a skillshot on an enemy you can't see, that you can safely blink away at low health from that highlander'd yi and still be close enough to hit and get the kill without dying yourself, that you can heal your ally in a 1v1 with Jax at JUST the right time to turn the tables and turn him into a Dead FOTM before you can call yourself HMG.

That being said, hit the practice games to start. Not with people, not with bots. just you and your lonesome. This isn't about practicing getting kills. It's about learning to hit the broad side of a barn. Practice through walls, from behind, hitting a minion standing next to another minion, etc.

When you're confident in that, practice fighting neutral mobs. Let them get you to low health, and practice blinking just far enough back to escape, but still close enough to hit.

After you've mastered those 2 techniques, you're finally ready to get stomped in a couple games. You pro, you.

Use the time in these games to further refine your technique, as well as to practice A) Lining up as many ally/enemy heroes to hit with W as possible, and B) Prioritizing and lining up which target you're going to hit first with R.

Playing as the HMG
First off, let's get some things straight. You are NOT Ryze, nor are you twitch. Your base stats suck, your movespeed sucks, and your attack speed is terrible. You're not going to be looking for kills early game unless you're 100% certain you can get away with it. And ideally, you want to avoid soloing mid. You're not a Heavy Machinegun yet. Just a squishy pellet gun. Mid is best left to twitch, or your hardcarry Shot-gun brothers, who scale better early than you do.

Rune Build:
Flat Attack Damage and Flat Mana Regen. For Quints, movespeed.

Masteries:
Offense: 9
Deadliness: 1/3
Archmage's Savvy: 3/3
Sorcery: 3/3
Sunder: 1/3

Utility: 21
Spatial Accuracy: 1/1
Perseverance: 3/3
Awareness: 4/4
Greed: 1/1
Meditation: 3/3
Utility Mastery: 2/2
Quickness: 3/3
Intelligence: 3/3
Presence of the Master: 1/1

Item Build
Mana Manipulator
Boots of Speed
Pickaxe>Rageblade
Meki Pendant
Boots of Mobility
Chalice of Harmony
Mana Manipulator>Soul Shroud
Fiendish Codex
Nashor's Tooth
(If doing well: Soulstealer, if not: Sheen)
Lichbane
Rylai's

Early game
First, grab a mana manipulator and get to your lane. Ideally, you want to lane with a melee or tank: someone beefy and intimidating. Your first skill should be Mystic shot. Follow that at level 2 with Essence Flux, then Shot, then Arcane Shift. From this point on, your priority is: Trueshot barrage, Essence Flux, Arcane Shift, Mystic shot.

At this point in the game, you are fragile, slow, and generally useless. Your goal right now is to farm. Let enemies get low, and last hit them with Q. If an enemy starts to wander too close, autoattack him for harassment. Your mana income is currently welfare status, so you shouldn't be wasting Q to harass.

After level two, keep a discerning eye on your ally. if he starts to lose noticeable health, toss him a flux. If he's going for a kill at the time, you'll get an assist out of the deal.

At some point, kindly ask your partner if he'll help you kill golem. Somewhere around 3-4 should be enough. If you've been playing nice and acting like a team, he will surely acquiesce, since this will allow you to be a better pocket healer, and it'll give YOU the mana to last hit more and actually use Q to harass. Win-win, I say.

Your first trip back, you want to grab basic boots, and your pickaxe (or if you've had a good early game, the entire rageblade). If you have enough left over, meki pendant. Head back to your lane, and repeat ad nauseum.

Once you hit level 6, feel free to use your ult a couple of times, ideally on the suckers you're laning against. Clue your partner in so you two can clean house. If for some reason the enemy isn't there (Say, they've died and are running back, for example?), fire it off at the minion wave. You'll hasten your farming, build your attack speed for faster last hits, and probably smack some shmuck on the way back to the lane, confirming that yes, you have a nuke, and you ain't afraid to use it.

Mid Game
At this point, your lane's tower should be down. You should ideally also have your boots of mobility and your Chalice. At this point, you're probably upsetting some people, so finish your Soul Shroud, then work on Nashor's.

Continue to roam, trying to stay near a teammate's general area in case things go south. At this point, be opportunistic. No ganks around? Help push a tower. Someone hugging a turret at low health? Snipe them through the wall with Q>W. Enemy group trying to push a lane? Hit em with Barrage and make them think twice.

If you're doing well, grab a soulstealer, then sheen. If you aren't doing too hot, just grab sheen and start rushing lichbane.

Late Game
The ganking phase might have ended, but your psychological warfare hasn't. Stick with your group, opening with Barrage after your tank Initiates, and autoattack the primary target, while spamming Q and W to keep your team healed and hasted, their team hurt and slowed, and your passive at max.

If someone's foolish enough to come after you, blink back just enough that you'll still hit them, and start gunning them down, which shouldn't take long since your team isn't going to take kindly to focusing you (You're not just DPS, you're healing and hasting you're team every 5 seconds.)

Most likely, Lichbane will be the last item you finish. Should this not be the case, grab Rylai's, going belt, then Wand. Now you're an even HEAVIER machinegun. One that aoe slows both attack and movement speed, does considerable DPS, and can blink every 6 seconds. There's really not much more to add, because at this point, the enemy is too busy tearing their hair out to focus, and you've probably won.

I'll be adding and tweaking to this as I see fit, but in general, it sums up the playstyle. Just keep in mind: Rome wasn't built in a day, and the HMG doesn't make people cry overnight. It takes a bit of practice and getting into the groove of screwing with people. Don't give up if you don't rule the cosmos right away.

#2 Reginald

Reginald

BOSS

• Moderators
  • 2175 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for writing the guige!

#3 RiotPirate

RiotPirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:17 AM

Just wondering, if this build is designed to shine in the late game why do you think it's worth keeping flat runes over runes/level?

#4 QuesoRayao

QuesoRayao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

most pros take flash with ez... so, not sure wut ur talking about... -.-?

#5 Lachrymose

Lachrymose

Just Another Kassadin Player

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

holynecro

#6 Red Panda

Red Panda

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

most pros take flash with ez... so, not sure wut ur talking about... -.-?

hardest necro I have seen in a while :D

Dude didn't you see the thread is one and a half years old? How did you even find it? All that on a first post :)

#7 Lachrymose

Lachrymose

Just Another Kassadin Player

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

if it was written today regi's post sounded like sarcasm much lol

#8 jakebro

jakebro

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I didn't see the post date and I was like.
Heal.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (check date)

#9 Optimistic

Optimistic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:49 AM

I was thinking the whole time "this guy is so biased, got the numbers wrong, AND thinks he knows how AP or AD should be played" then I saw Regi and was like WTF.

And then I saw the date.