• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Xhal

Xhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:16 AM

Reasons I think this will end up costing Reginald more then it will be worth. First of all from what I see you guys are really kinda lazy. You do realize Korean houses are like 16 hours of gaming a day right? Like a Go4LoL tournament, Ok yeah doesn't sound like a lot of money but what is it 100 dollars for your Sunday? Well most of you make no money in the time and just play LoL anyway. Plus I know more people watch your streams when a tourney is going on anyway, adding more money to your cause. This is also a cost that will help cover bills in your new home. I realize you guys don't really care about the small tournaments but lately you guys haven't preformed up to par at all, plus small or not, whatever you can get out of the tournaments helps cover the bills for your new home. I wouldn't rely on winning big tournaments as great as that sounds that might not happen.

Maybe you guys will buck up and I'm wrong, but I've watched you guys stream for awhile and always say you will buck up and scrim, scrim, and scrim. Well really it hasn't happened. Like I realize you guys are cocky and what not but lets keep it in prospective you haven't won a big tournament yet. Like they say if your 2nd you mi-swell be last.

I'm not saying any of this to be an ass b/c I support you guys and want to see you guys do good but, I think you also need to be realistic, which isn't really happening at the moment.

Realize this TSM was considered the best NA team before dreamhack. Now I have no idea where I would put you guys. Maybe 4th or 3rd. I hope that isn't good enough for any of you.

#2 RawringKevin

RawringKevin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:02 AM

Pretty sure sponsors pay for the houses.

#3 Xhal

Xhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:10 AM

Pretty sure sponsors pay for the houses.

LOL you realize the sponsor is Solomid (aka Regi).

#4 7G Salsoul

7G Salsoul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

Oh they are doing the team house ala starcraft style type thing?
That's an awesome idea and pretty much the dream of any gamer haha. From what the owner of FXO told me it's one hell of an investment so hopefully they can handle the ups and downs of taking such a big risk.
(っ⌒‿⌒)っ︵ ┻━┻

[7 GemZ]

Just discovered smart casting. I'm in love <3

#5 Xhal

Xhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

Yep

#6 PsychoticDreams47

PsychoticDreams47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:56 AM

1. im pretty sure regi wouldnt do this without thinking it through thouroughly.
2. im pretty sure hes sponsered, considering he was in dreamhack and considered the best brand in the world
3. why the fuck does it matter to you and how does it effect you in any way what so ever?
and 4. does your sister have any nudes?

#7 10101001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:07 AM

if you notice how gaming houses are built. its very hard to have one in the US compared to korea. Gaming in the US isnt as popular or as big of a career compared to european players and asian players.

#8 RawringKevin

RawringKevin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

He can be sponsored by companies like Razor, Steelseries, pretty sure TT, even a soda company can sponsor them and all they have to do is stream with the logo on screen or in the background.

#9 Wasabi Kitty

Wasabi Kitty

I can change my member title, jealous much?

• Moderators
  • 2466 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

Obviously they just threw a ton of money out for a house and everything without even thinking about it, especially a house in new york where the cost would be huge compared to anywhere else.

sdK3pgL.gif

#10 softis ^O^

softis ^O^

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

Time will tell D:

#11 Xhal

Xhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

LoL yeah they have sponsors but there sponsors are not paying for there house you are beyond ignorant.

TSM took this all into there own hands, Regi himself even said this is a risk for him b/c he is forking out so much money.

Do I think it was rushed of course I do, they got a gaming house in one of the most expensive states in America. It's not as easy as we will stream and get all this money back they need to win tournaments to or this gaming house was a failure.

#12 Xhal

Xhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

1. im pretty sure regi wouldnt do this without thinking it through thouroughly.
2. im pretty sure hes sponsered, considering he was in dreamhack and considered the best brand in the world
3. why the fuck does it matter to you and how does it effect you in any way what so ever?
and 4. does your sister have any nudes?

This post is just ignorance and proves you know nothing, that and you can't spell. You do realize what the TT sponsor does for them gives them keyboards, mouses, and headsets that's it. Big sponsors won't even fork out money unless you've won things that means first place, not for 2nd or 3. TSM is sponsored mainly by (Regi) the majority of money put into this team comes from him.

Oh lastly I don't have a sis, sorry bro.

p.s. - glad to know so many morons play this game.

#13 RawringKevin

RawringKevin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

Are you looking for a reason on why its okay to move in...? You're kind of hostile and sponsors will pay for their house. Have you seen the CLG streams? They just add the logo on and when people want to buy things, they go to that company because people go "Oh, he and she uses this, I want to use it too!".

#14 Pingmeep

Pingmeep

SoloMid Tournaments / News

• Moderators
  • 1410 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

Outside of Regi and a few other people no one knows for sure what is being spent and what is going in.

What we do know for sure is there is a major push to make SoloMid (the site) work as a brand. That means things like making NA and EU tournaments possible with steaming (what major US state works well for that? Oh that's right NY.) They are making initiatives like getting top players from several regions to provide better coverage and have full time streaming (see Locodoco's new comp). They also are prepping for DoTA2 coverage. There is more but we aren't privy to it all.

All of these things diversify the risk (compared to only relying on sponsors and winning tournaments which they are are working on too) and benefit you and this community. Only time will tell if these investments will pay off. There is a ton of risk but they are going into this with real goals that may not be immediately apparent to us on the outside looking in.

As for TeamSoloMid many of us want them to succeed and we have done our part to get them to a point where they can succeed. It's a frustrating time to be a TSM fan. This gaming house will hopefully get them all in the same place so that they can scrim more something you point out as an obvious flaw. Being able to scrim against EU teams will also be beneficial. A low 100's ping is better than 130-160. Dyrus is moving in to take advantage of this.

My concern though is that TSM may get caught up in all the other things and end up failing to preform as a team. It's now time for them to decide whether this is a gainful profession or just an expensive hobby.

Good luck SoloMid and TSM.

#15 VonLego

VonLego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:40 PM

Korean pro scene is a much more professional world. Teams have direct sponsors (with more viewership), prize money is high with a monthly GSL, and teams have rigorous schedules planned out by their team managers. Work days are full of hours of scrims (it isn't 16 hours a day as previously mentioned, but it usually is a longer day), and folks ladder in their own time as well. Five young guys moving in together in an expensive house is not the same thing as the gaming houses of Korea. Will it work out and be beneficial? It really seems so, it can't hurt their play and actually might really give them the leg up in the future. Does it matter to me, op, or you? No of course not. This is there decision. I sincerely hope however that we all want the best for these guys and want to cheer them on whenever we can.

My only fears for them is that New York seems like a really poor place to choose just due to how expensive living conditions are. I'm sure they have a reason, I just don't see it. The other fear is that the work ethic of folks like HuK and TLO from the SC2 scene really doesn't compare with folks from league of legends as a whole. Upper Elo seems more about who can put on the best show with trolling and raging in order to maximize the entertainment value. Sure HuK does some crazy stuff, but ultimately he's a guy that can grind away all day long practicing and improving his builds.

TLDR: There are striking contrasts of the Korean SC2 scene and high Elo LoL and as such if a gaming house is a good idea or not doesn't have a black and white answer. A lot of folks have reservations about TSM moving to NY but ultimately we'll cheer for them and hope they find success. As long as the site doesn't become clogged with ads again when they're unable to make rent I'm happy for them (and even if that is what they want to do, it's their right).

#16 Xhal

Xhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:52 AM

Rawring Kevin you have no idea how sponsors work in the gaming world at all. Talking to you is obviously useless because you have a below average IQ.

#17 Isobri

Isobri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:58 AM

I work as a financial consultant for individuals and small companies. The first thing I've learned is to NEVER give unsolicited financial advice, particularly negative. The fact of the matter is 99% of us don't know TSM or Regi's financials. It's stupidity to criticize their financial decisions without knowing their situation. Someone might have the money out of pocket. They might have sponsorships which they can use towards the mortgage. This might be a step to expand their brand value. Regardles, feel free to cheer for or against them in LOL, but there's no reason to give unasked for and ill-informed financial advice.

#18 Xhal

Xhal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:31 AM

I work as a financial consultant for individuals and small companies. The first thing I've learned is to NEVER give unsolicited financial advice, particularly negative. The fact of the matter is 99% of us don't know TSM or Regi's financials. It's stupidity to criticize their financial decisions without knowing their situation. Someone might have the money out of pocket. They might have sponsorships which they can use towards the mortgage. This might be a step to expand their brand value. Regardles, feel free to cheer for or against them in LOL, but there's no reason to give unasked for and ill-informed financial advice.

LoL so apparently that automatically qualifies you, I've heard on stream Regi say this is a big risk for him. This money is coming out of his pocket what don't you understand about that? I'm saying there is ways they can gain more money without letting more go out so this risk Regi is taking is more worth while. You are smart one.

Anyone that knows anything knows there choice of area for house was bad, beyond the point of NY IEM. You guys realize they are not sponsored!!! There sponsors currently just give them keyboards/whatever. They make majority of there money off this site/ads. Videos youtube/streaming.

If there sponsors gave them shit you think they would of asked for donations to go to Gamescon?? Also a lot of the cost coming out of Regi's pocket? This really shows how much you actually watch them stream or even pay attention maybe you should get your shit right and have half a brain before you make comments. Mister Financial consultant.

#19 Isobri

Isobri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:10 AM

Doesn't matter if he made the downpayment with a credit card or if he has a wealthy uncle. It's none of your business, you don't know the financial details, and your an asshole for coming to his site and criticizing him about a financial matter you know nothing about.

On a side note, congrats to Regi and TSM on getting a house. Certainly an exciting time, best of luck.

#20 RawringKevin

RawringKevin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:03 AM

Doesn't matter if he made the downpayment with a credit card or if he has a wealthy uncle. It's none of your business, you don't know the financial details, and your an asshole for coming to his site and criticizing him about a financial matter you know nothing about.

On a side note, congrats to Regi and TSM on getting a house. Certainly an exciting time, best of luck.

Hammer on nail.