44 replies to this topic

#1 Soulouri

Soulouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hey guys,

I just played Udyr vs Rumble and got relatively destroyed. Was my first time playing this specific matchup, but Rumble's pre-level 6 (and itemless) burst was crazy.

I'm trying to theory craft in my head who would be a nice counter pick and actually lane ok vs him... in theory I think that these champs would do ok;

Yorick / Irelia (maybe) / Talon (maybe) / Garen

I think Singed and Cho would do alright too but I'm thinking of something less tanky and a little more potent.

Does anyone have some experience matching up against RUmble on top?

#2 Salang

Salang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Irelia would get stomped by Rumble, most solo tops beat Irelia in lane nowadays till she gets farmed. Garen would probably do fine, Talon definetly destroys rumble, just W spam till he's low enough and finish him off with a full combo. Rumble is a pretty strong laner, but usually as long as you have decent range or can trade blows and come ahead (like with garen) you'll be able to beat him. Just dont overestimate him overheating at 100% cuz those normal attacks are pretty strong nukes.
Bad Poker Player

#3 crystal

crystal

Uninstalled

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

Rumble like morde lacks sustain until the revolver, so press your advantage with a sustaining champ till then. Yorick would eat Rumble in lane, so definitely a strong choice there. Gangplank, Udyr if played right should beat Rumble too. Tiger stance does so much burst damage at lvl 1.
I hate all League of Legends players. Except you of course

#4 Kanova

Kanova

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Not Talon, I can't see it. Garen, Yorick, GP (If you could manage your mana) and probably Riven if you had the proper rune/mastery setup.
Bleach is mostly water, and we're mostly water, therefore we are bleach.

#5 Soulouri

Soulouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Rumble like morde lacks sustain until the revolver, so press your advantage with a sustaining champ till then. Yorick would eat Rumble in lane, so definitely a strong choice there. Gangplank, Udyr if played right should beat Rumble too. Tiger stance does so much burst damage at lvl 1.

yeah I thought Udyr would do ok too but he really didnt, the tiger stance burst was ok but Rumble out-damaged it, even with turtle stance being spammed also :/

#6 `Lewis

`Lewis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

Garen does for sure, how would cho gath do?

#7 Shmup Nasty

Shmup Nasty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Renekton is the really strong against rumble he gets all his damage in too quick for rumble to react
Same with Garen Great counters to him on TT aswell.

#8 No Promises

No Promises

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:34 AM

Nocturne is possible as well. Yi with wuju style could out-damage him with the right runes.

#9 softis ^O^

softis ^O^

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:14 AM

Nocturne is possible as well. Yi with wuju style could out-damage him with the right runes.

This has to be a joke :blink:

#10 crystal

crystal

Uninstalled

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:33 AM

yeah I thought Udyr would do ok too but he really didnt, the tiger stance burst was ok but Rumble out-damaged it, even with turtle stance being spammed also :/

I think the Udyr needs some work in playing lanedyr... Don't fight to the death in melee range while getting his flamethrower unless you have a significant creep wave backing you up. tiger burst rumble slowly as a hit and run tactic. Bait out his flame thrower with bear stance if you have to. All of rumble's other skills are insignificant on damage so play out bear - bait flamethrower, bear stun into a quick tiger hit - or safer is tiger stance run in, bait flamethrower then switch to bear stance, hit stun which will proc tiger DoT and retreat back. This with turtle stance will make sure udyr won't lose the lane or get out harassed by rumble, at least until lvl 6 or jungle ganks.

#11 Lachrymose

Lachrymose

Just Another Kassadin Player

• Members
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

lanewick

#12 No Promises

No Promises

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:51 AM

This has to be a joke :blink:

Can someone explain to me why my above-mentioned suggestions won't work?

#13 Lachrymose

Lachrymose

Just Another Kassadin Player

• Members
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

Can someone explain to me why my above-mentioned suggestions won't work?

I don't think Rumble's Q is blocked by Noc's shield. And considering in order to harass Noc uses physical(which draws creep aggro) while Rumble uses magical, I think Noc will take heavy damage from creeps everytime he commits.

About Yi, it might actually work but I wouldn't focus on Wuju Style. Maybe AP Yi? Rumble has no way of applying hard CC on you, so you can meditate like a boss and regain HP everytime you're low. Also alpha striking 3 creeps left every creep wave will eventually bring Rumble low enough to be killed/forced to return to base.

#14 L0rentz

L0rentz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

If Rumble is using his Q to harass while you try to hit minions he will automatically push the lane. Try to bring in ganks alot since he has no real escape except his W which is just a small speed buff. As long as you actually don't stand in his flamethrower while he tries to harass you you could probably do more damage than he does, atleast before he gets to level it up alot.

COMIC SAAAAAAAANS

#15 No Promises

No Promises

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

Thanks Lachrymose for your explanations. Actually I wasn't focusing on the shield anyway. I was thinking that the extra AD that Duskbringer gives you would help out-damage Rumble but from what everyone's saying, I'm probably underestimating Rumble's potential DPS output.

Has anyone tried Lee Sin against Rumble? There's another thread talking about how strong Lee Sin is. His stable damage output combined with his sustain from his lifesteal and spellvamp might prove possible to take down that smelly yordle.

#16 crystal

crystal

Uninstalled

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:32 AM

Never seen a rumble vs lee sin lane. Rumble is pretty easily beatable by most casters actually. Just stay out of his q spam which most casters can do pretty easily. A great champ that owns rumble is soraka. Silence then hit him with starcall every time rumble tries to walk towards you with his Q on. If you take any minor damage, just heal yourself back up.

#17 Yttrasil

Yttrasil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Heya, my first post here... am a main rumbler and have played countless games vs very good people with a wide variety of champions. I made this little picture for teamliquid and it fits this post pretty well =)

You can see what "counters" rumble and what he counters in a general game with 2 ppl of about the same skill.
http://imageshack.us...221/rumbla.png/

Edit: If you want to know specifics of why a character beats rumble, when and how and wise versa I'd love to explain it. Some of the reasoning above is very good and true, some not =) I.e a rumble should beat Talon and never lose to a cho-gath etc.

#18 deyor

deyor

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Rumble beats pretty much everyone who must go melee range.

Correct me if I'm wrong but at level 1 Flamespitter must be the hardest hitting ability in the game?

#19 Yttrasil

Yttrasil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Rumble beats pretty much everyone who must go melee range.

Correct me if I'm wrong but at level 1 Flamespitter must be the hardest hitting ability in the game?

That is wrong now, with the nerfs it has had it is now actually not very strong at level 1 even with overheat. You can not outdamage many people with it now, leblanc etc has much higher dmg on their lvl 1 spells. On level 2 it does twice the damage though and becomes quite effective but it's first on level three you can basically outdamage anyone on lower levels.

#20 Endrance

Endrance

• Members
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

Rumble's Skillset counters Udyr's Skillset completely. Rumble is still the hardest counter Udyr can get. There is nothing a good Udyr can do against a good Rumble, but be denied 50% of his last hits or feed. It's like laning 1v2 on Udyr against 2 ranged champions.
Posted Image