3. Masteries
4. Runes
5. Item Build
6. Leveling Build
7. Tactics
8. Tips and Tricks
9. Closing Comments and Other

1. Lore

There is a place between dimensions, between worlds. To some it is known as the Outside, to others it is the Unknown. To most, however, it is called the Void. Despite its name, the Void is not an empty place, but rather the home of unspeakable things, horrors not meant for minds of men. Though such knowledge is lost to the modern day, there are those who have unwittingly discovered what lies beyond and have been unable to turn away. Kassadin is such a creature, a man once forced to look upon the face of the Void and who was forever changed by it. Once a seeker of forbidden knowledge, he discovered that what he sought was something else entirely. Though a part of him died that day, he knows that he must protect Valoran from the things scratching at the door, waiting to get in and visit their torments upon the world. They are only one step away, something to which the appearance of the abomination known as Cho'gath attests.

''If you look upon the Void, you can't put it behind you. If you look upon Kassadin, he is probably already there.''

2. Abilities and Descriptions

[quote]Weapon Mastery - Kassadin takes 15% reduced damage from abilities and transforms this damage into bonus attack speed.[/quote]
This passive is surprisingly useful. You take 15% reduced damage from ALL abilities meaning that your survivability is MUCH better than almost all casters late game. The next part, as if it could not get any better, is that the damage goes into attack speed. There is not a flat amount nor cap to the attack speed bonus. Instead this bonus stacks as you take more damage and you will start attacking ridiculously fast. Be careful though because you ARE still a mage and not a tank.

[quote]Null Sphere - Kassadin fires an ethereal bolt of void energy, dealing damage and silencing the target for a duration.
Kassadin fires a void bolt dealing 80/130/180/230/280 (+0.7) magic damage and silencing the target for 1/1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6 seconds.

Cooldown
9 seconds
Cost
70/80/90/100/110 Mana
Range
700[/quote]
This is a great sniping spell late game and at levels 2+ a great harasser. It DOES have a slow movespeed for a spell so don't depend on its silence if you are trying to go into creep waves and harass because they can counter fairly easily. Just try to catch them offguard.

[quote]Nether Blade - Kassadin's physical attacks steal a percent of his target's mana and he gains twice the mana drained from these attacks.
Kassadin's physical attacks drain 2/2.75/3.5/4.25/5% of his target's mana and he gains twice the mana drained from these attacks.

Cooldown
0 seconds
Cost
Passive
Range
1[/quote]
This is an OK spell. It is passive so it helps but very little. When most people see this they scream "YES A MANA DRAIN!!" but in reality it does very little to drain mana. This is mostly used to sustain your own mana when killing minions, not to drain casters. And even then, it is only taken late game because it really is a worthless spell early because your burst is not high enough.

[quote]Force Pulse - Kassadin draws energy from spells cast in his vicinity. Upon charging up, Kassadin can use Force pulse to damage and slow enemies in a cone in front of him.
Kassadin draws energy from spells cast in his vicinity, gaining a charge whenever a spell is cast near him. Upon reaching 6 charges, Kassadin can use Force Pulse to deal 60/120/180/240/300 (+0.8) magic damage and slow enemies by 30/35/40/45/50% in a cone in front of him for 3 seconds.

Cooldown
5 seconds
Cost
80/80/80/80/80 Mana
Range
400[/quote][/quote]
This is your biggest nuke and by far your biggest kill spell. The cone is a nice addition but the great thing about this is that it has a slow AND the AP ratio is 1:0.8 so it stacks extremely well. Late game you will be hitting for 650-900 with this ability alone. It can also help with your escape because of the large slowing ability.

[quote]Riftwalk - Kassadin teleports to a nearby location dealing damage to nearby enemy units. Additionally, multiple Riftwalks in a short period of time cause them to cost additional mana and deal additional damage.
Kassadin teleports to a nearby location dealing 60/90/120 (+0.4) magic damage to surrounding enemy units. Additionally, each subsequent Riftwalk in the next 7 seconds costs 100/100/100 additional mana and deals 60/90/120 additional damage.

Cooldown
6 seconds
Cost
100/100/100 Mana
Range
Global[/quote]
This is what Kassadin is known for and hated for. This is a blink that is retardedly good. The damage stacks per blink and only has a 6 (down to 3 late game due to CDR) second cooldown. This skill can be used for last hitting, escaping, initiating, and nuking. Be very careful in its use though because as it stacks, the mana use for each stacks as well so it will drain you extremely fast.

3. Masteries and Summoner Spells

My favorite build for him is the 9/0/21 typical dps caster build because it gives great penetration, regen, and cool down reduction which are all the necessary things for a good caster. Kassadin can vary depending on your playstyle though so other builds are 21/0/9 (more damage than my favorite but less consistency) or the 10/0/20. The last of those is one used by a good amount of Kassadins as well because with ignite you get the extra 10 AP while only losing summoner spell cooldown reduction.

Summoner Spells:
Ignite/Flash, Clarity/Flash, or Clairvoyance/Flash depending on team composition and map.
Why flash you ask? I know kassadin has riftwalk however levels 1-5 he is easy to take down without it and past that into late game, double-flashing can save lives or grab kills depending on the occasion. Remember Rift Walk doubles in mana cost ever consecutive use so chasing with kass is not easy after more than 10 or so seconds. Ignite is generally only taken on TT if there is not already a CV in my team for the constant uses of Mundo and for grabbing kills.

4. Runes

Magic Penetration + Health... period... There is no varying from this or I will slap you across the face. Let me give my reasoning. CDR is useless because your cooldowns are low as it is and you will almost always have golem on late game plus you masteries which will almost cap you out. AP stacking gives a total of 30 AP at lvl 18 if you are FULLY stacked with it so it is also virtually useless anyway because by that time 30 ap will almost always never change the outcome of any situation. Movement speed? You have blink and +9% from masteries. Attack damage? Stfu noob this is a caster not a melee as some kassadins are attempting to assert. Basically Flat Magic Pen + Health/level (or flat HP if you want early survival) is the way to go. The Flat pen will get you 15-20 at level 1 and the health will let you hit +200 or so at level 18 depending on how you distribute each.

5. Item Build

For a solo lane, unless you are extremely confident in your ability to play kass, take Doran's Ring because the extra health and MP5 will help immensely and the AP is an added bonus. Otherwise just take a sapphire crystal plus a health pot.

1. Doran's Ring/Sapphire Crystal
2. Boots
3. Sapphire Crystal/Amplifying Tome
4. Sheen
5. Mercury Treads or Ninja Tabi depending on your opponents
6. Kage's Lucky Pick
7. Null-Magic Mantle
8. Blasting Wand
9. Lich Bane
10. Fiendish Codex
11. Abyssal Scepter
12. Deathfire Grasp
13. Zhonya's Ring

Mejais: Take when you think you will actually be getting kills. Don't just autotake it early because it is a waste of money until 6+ stacks (ill redo the math later). It is also usually more effective late game, unless you are getting fed, because of teamfights and the more consistent amounts of ganks happening.

EDIT: Ok here is the math:
Blasting Wand is 860 gold so 860/40 = 21.5g/AP
Amplifying Tome is 435 gold so 435/20 = 21.75g/AP
1 AP is roughly 21.625 gold
Soooo
Mejai's Soulstealer is 1235 gold and gives a passive +20 AP.
After a few different tries eventually
1235/(20+40) = 20.58g/AP
This means that at 4 stacks Mejai's becomes worth the gold so it is actually a lot more viable than I first proposed. This being said I still stand by my original argument that you should be cautious when getting this and only take it when you know you will be getting those 4 stacks.

6. Leveling Build

1. Null Sphere
2. Force Pulse
3. Null Sphere
4. Force Pulse
5. Null Sphere
6. Rift Walk
7. Null Sphere
8. Null Sphere
9. Force Pulse
10. Force Pulse
11. Rift Walk
13. Force Pulse
14. Nether Strike
15. Nether Strike
16. Rift Walk
17. Nether Strike
18. Nether Strike

Justification : Pulse is your main burst and primary killing device HOWEVER it is way better to harass your opponents with null sphere early. Nether Strike is not taken at all until everything else is maxed because its current state is virtually useless. You are best suited levels 12+ when you can burst their entire team to half health in with one force pulse.

7. Tactics

Unlike my Morgana guide, I decided not to go into details about certain ways of playing but instead give an overall resolve of how I play my Kass.

Tactics you will use vary from game to game. You can be anything from the initiator/nuker to the chaser that takes down stragglers with flash, to that annoying son of a b***ch that never goes away. We all have our anger problems right? Well this may be the guy to use those problems without being the right-clicking noob hero like twitch or yi, no offense to anyone who mains as them I just find them to be way too simplistic. Hmm... it turns out anger and aggressiveness plays a large part in my guides... Anyway, after you hit six, you are going to play the smart angry guy. Basically picture a mundo that lost some weight, got himself a monocle and pipe, and shoots void spheres instead of cleavers. You need to be angry smart like mundo wishes he could be. What you need to keep an eye out for are champions with low health or no escapes, bad players, or small skirmishes and team fights. Your job is to pop in, slow and nuke the entire team, silence the caster, smack a b***ch in the face, and then pop out. If you still have more than half health, you may want to skip popping out and silence someone again, nuke again, and slap a b***ch in the face once more. You need to keep in mind that Kassadin's burst is THE FASTEST in the game. It does not hit as hard as veigar nor is it as persistent as twitch but it is the fastest. Mid-late game you can dish out 1.5k-3k in under two seconds and still have an escape mechanism in another 1-3 seconds.

Top and bottom lanes are your sanctuary past early game. You do have the ability to lane mid but be wary of nukers and hard early game stunners such as TF because you will have a hard time keeping up with harassments. You love top and bottom because they are the best places to pop out and nuke some guy's poor face to death before popping back out, taking only one hit from the turret. You also rarely have more than two places to get ganked from on the sides whereas middle has four or more at all times. You may be able to nuke the fastest but you are still a squishy caster. While you are wandering around, pay special attention to your level. Wandering champions have the nasty habit of being underleveled quickly because they do not know when to switch lanes and when to farm. This is where it is useful to have good map awareness, because you will notice perfect gank opportunities or champions that were missing but weren't called. Once you fall behind, you are little more than fodder. It is the same way with any caster really, once they are behind by 2-3 levels, unless they get lucky the game is done for them.

8. Tips and Tricks

-USE YOUR RIFTWALK IN BASE!!! When you are healing or getting you mana back riftwalk around so you get the stacks needed for your force pulse without running out of mana. You never know when you may need it for a kill or an escape.

-Riftwalk, like other blink/jump effects, allow you to go further than they show when going over terrain. The game mechanics make it so you do not get stuck in terrain so if you are close to going over, you will. Do not overestimate it's distance though.

-Laning with a spammer is amazing. I LOVE laning with/against Karthus, Mundo, Katarina, Evelynn, and the occasional Nasus because they love to spam spells for attempted lane control. Spell spamming = force pulse = happy kassadin

Posted Image

#2 Xovar

Xovar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

No Mejai's!?

Also, what summoner spells do you typically take?

#3 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

Knew I would forget something.

My opinion on Mejais: nowadays I play highmid to sometimes (every 2 weeks or so if im on a streak) high elo and during that time it is not often at all it is even worth getting mejais because kills are few and far between and from what I remember last time i did the math, it is not worth having until 6 stacks. I will add a section at the bottom with this but the only time you should get it is if you are getting fed or late game when you will be getting more consistent kills and there are actually team fights.

Summoner Spells I take are normally Clarity/Flash, CV/Flash/ or Ignite/Flash depending on team composition and map.

Posted Image

#4 Dr.Mundo

Dr.Mundo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Flash would be the most useless summoner's skill for kassadin since he already have riftwalk.

I use heal and clarity to stay in lane longer

#5 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

Try reading my post before putting ignorant comments. I fully explain why I take flash.

Posted Image

#6 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

Flash would be the most useless summoner's skill for kassadin since he already have riftwalk.

I use heal and clarity to stay in lane longer

And that's why you're Dr. Mundo and not Darth Vader.
"Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my Chains are broken.
The Force shall set you free.."
Posted Image