• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Dalton

Nick Dalton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

So I came across a thread today talking about who's better solo-top between Wu-kong & Talon. However, I'd like to hear your opinion as I plan on playing that position for my future team and i'd like to hear peoples thoughts on who are the top 5 ''solo top'' champions overall.

ytefaS

My published guides are listed below!

ytefaS: Elo Progression

#2 Umashi

Umashi

Womanizer

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

Solo Top is all about counter picking the enemy solo top or high sustain. I personal am best with Warwick and Singed is something a lot of people play well but nothing specifically is better then anything else. It's all in counter picking.

#3 tapobu

tapobu

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

the best top facerollers i see in my elo are nasus, gangplank, tryndamere, wukong, and irelia, and it's just because nobody knows how to stop them in low elo. these are all very good places to start because if you learn how to deal witih your enemy, you'll win your lane. it takes a player of a certain level to be able to respond to a winning lane. most low elo top players play their champ because they have a certain way of dealing with their enemies and continuing to farm. if you can stop their farm or stop their harass, half the time they won't know what to do.
Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. - CS Lewis

#4 Esthasolyte

Esthasolyte

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

Actually I have no idea what to do against Tryndamere. They always rush wriggles and become unkillable with so much sustain and damage. Especially with cleanse+heal/flash/exhaust/ghost. You have to constantly gank his lane to prevent him from outfarming anyone (and tryn seems to need only zeal to stomp anyone).

My Guides

Vi Top Lane

Akali - Top and Mid | Cassiopeia | Diana Jungle and Mid | Karma Mid

Season 1: 1402 | Top: 1552 (Esthaniel)
Season 2: 1405 | Top: 1405
Season 3: 1309 (current) | Top: 1441

#5 Umashi

Umashi

Womanizer

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

Actually I have no idea what to do against Tryndamere. They always rush wriggles and become unkillable with so much sustain and damage. Especially with cleanse+heal/flash/exhaust/ghost. You have to constantly gank his lane to prevent him from outfarming anyone (and tryn seems to need only zeal to stomp anyone).

Nasus can beat Tryn by farming
Teemo counters Tryn
Nidalee can beat Tryn
Etc

#6 Grim Jester

Grim Jester

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Solo Top is all about counter picking the enemy solo top or high sustain. I personal am best with Warwick and Singed is something a lot of people play well but nothing specifically is better then anything else. It's all in counter picking.

This is what top is all about, so depending on what the opposing top champion is the "Top 5" champions will change, for example Garen can counter many top laners because of his huge early game damage, but against him Kayle is one of the best top lane characters.

Its all about who you verse but some of the more common top champs would be; Garen, Nasus, Wukong, Irelia, Singed, GP and Renekton.

So when you go to top do what you can to dominate your lane and leave them a player down, Deny Nasus and irelia farm as best you can. Do what you can to outfarm the stronger laners till later when they drop off the face of the game.

Hope this helps

Grim

#7 Malkethos

Malkethos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

This is what top is all about, so depending on what the opposing top champion is the "Top 5" champions will change, for example Garen can counter many top laners because of his huge early game damage, but against him Kayle is one of the best top lane characters.

Grim

So I'm actually curious about this - I used to run Kayle a lot and I never really had any problems with top laners - except Garen. And its not even that it was a terribly hard lane; I'd be winning far and away in CS / harass, but the moment his flash + exhaust/ignite come up, I get screwed. Flash + silence would take away my heal/slow/flash/invulnerability, and suddenly I'd be super low and a prime target for getting picked on. My solution was always to just start playing super careful or something, but it was always very, very annoying.

#8 Nick Dalton

Nick Dalton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

I appreciate the responses, I typically play solo-top in solo queue as Skarner and I'm trying to run Nidalee as well. I needed a good idea on who were considered the more used solo-top players so thanks for your input guys.

ytefaS

My published guides are listed below!

ytefaS: Elo Progression

#9 Decker87

Decker87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

For what its worth, I pretty much always stomp people with Nasus. But you also have to know when to pick him: the best is when the enemy has already chosen their solotop and jungle, and both of those champions do the same type of damage. For example, Cho'Gath and FIddlesticks. This means that you can just stack MR/Armor and farm farm farm.

The thing I love about Nasus is that even if you get pushed to your tower and have equal CS with your opponent, you've still "won" more than he has.

#10 Deji

Deji

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

I've had great success with Olaf.. he's quite obscure that people don't know how to play against him, he will stomp early game against champs that are weak early and scales ridiculously well with farm (Wriggles, Warmog's, Atmas and you have nearly 300 damage when you press W).

But as mentioned earlier, solo top is mainly about counter picks.. I will never pick it before the enemy has (which means I don't usually play solo top in solo queue unless the opponent has already picked their solo top) and I laugh at people who firstpick something easily counterable, which happens quite often in my ELO.. this one time I picked Olaf and the enemy team picked Nasus as a response (?!)

But in general, almost all of the solo tops are viable assuming you have mastered them.. often times, even if your champion is getting counterpicked, if you're really good at your champion and the opponent's experience with his counterpick is quite limited, you will come out ahead regardless.

#11 anubrak

anubrak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

any counterpicks to irelia and singed?

#12 iExPLiiCiT

iExPLiiCiT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

imo: Renekton, Nasus, Tryn, Riven, Singed
OrdinanceGaming.com
@OrdinanceGaming

LoL Summoner Name: iExPLiiCiT

#13 Zeraphlol

Zeraphlol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

What do you guys think of Yorick and Vladimir as solo top champions? I've decided to pick up this role after learning the current jungle and would like some other player's input.

#14 iExPLiiCiT

iExPLiiCiT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Yorick is a really good solo top but very underplayed. But now that The Rain Man did superb with him at Providence, I think more people will start to use him.
OrdinanceGaming.com
@OrdinanceGaming

LoL Summoner Name: iExPLiiCiT

#15 Hollow

Hollow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:10 AM

top 5 for me: skarner, gp, nasus, singed, riven ... i dont like yorick that much cause his ult is 2much team dependable :D and he scales with vayne with maxed "w" soooooo freaking good!

#16 Chainer9999

Chainer9999

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:48 AM

I'm biased because I've never lost a game where I was solo Lanewick B)

I think top 5, if played right, are

GP, Singed, Cho'Gath, Riven and Warwick. Then again, I'm usually bot (ranegd AD) unless I play Lanewick, so......

#17 Racker

Racker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:11 AM

GP, Singed, Nasus, Ire, WW (Played right), Talon, are all very strong, but also can all get shut down if people want to.
Did i say something Helpful, Witty, Silly, Rude, Or just unneeded?
Do you want more?
Just a man and his buddies, we cover League of Legends, BF3, MW3, D3, and Skyrim. Check us out: http://www.youtube.c...essGaming212012

#18 SouK Ahra

SouK Ahra

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Skarner's too strong
Life is, basically, suicide in slow motion.

#19 Helios Black

Helios Black

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:35 AM

Skarner's too strong

Skarner's only super good against melee ad's.

#20 NinjaMasterYoda

NinjaMasterYoda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

Talon ftw tbh if you know how to play him that is