• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Feel a Fear

Feel a Fear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

I just bought a new computer the specs are.

i7 930 2.9g
GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
8g ddr3 ram

With this set up I run Dark Void on max settings at 200 fps. But in League of legends I get around 100 on summoners rift and as low as 60 on the winter version. If anyone has any idea why this is the case I would love to hear it.
*edit* I found if I set it to benchmark I get 300 fps on the winter version (until I start recording and stop then it hovers at around 150). I also noticed that when only 4/8 of the processing threads are active for LoL I'm assuming this is because LoL does not support hyper-threading(should I disable it?).

When I run Fraps I noticed it locks my game fps rate (at least in LoL) at the capture rate (or tries to). If anyone knows how to capture at a different rate then your viewing fps I would love to know. My problem is that in order to play effectively and FRAPS at the same time I need to set the capture rate to at least 60 fps, and that sometimes works fine, but often on the winter map becomes unsteady (Like my compute can barely handle doing both when it should be more than able to.)

I'm hoping there are some tweaks and tips you guys might know about to help out.
*edit* My FRAPS settings are capture rate of 60 at half-size, and I disabled sound.

I was also wondering if live streaming would harder or easier on frame rate than FRAPS.

#2 sevenlives

sevenlives

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

You have the wrong number of ram sticks. i7 9xx series run triple channel memory, so sticks need to be in multiples of threes. I doubt thats the primary issue, but 3 sticks in triple channel is faster than 4 in single channel, as I understand it.
Its an observation, not an accusation.

#3 Feel a Fear

Feel a Fear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

You have the wrong number of ram sticks. i7 9xx series run triple channel memory, so sticks need to be in multiples of threes. I doubt thats the primary issue, but 3 sticks in triple channel is faster than 4 in single channel, as I understand it.

Incorrect, while it is capable of using triple channel, it still runs dual channel fine. Here's a link where they showed that on some tests dual channel performed better with a 9xx series. http://xtreview.com/review232.htm (ctrl+f "dual")

#4 tr1bute

tr1bute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

Try recording fraps to an external HD. I had fraps issues and when I tried this, I hardly noticed the performance difference.

#5 pagansaint

pagansaint

Go Home Posts, You're Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

Like tribute said, its mostly a read/write issue with the hard drive. The faster the hard drive's read/write speeds are, the better your fraps'd games will run, or alternatively, have fraps record to a different hard drive.

#6 Guest_Stope_*

Guest_Stope_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

You pose two intermingled questions and one separate one:
1) How to record without locking game FPS to record FPS
2) How to capture winter map without computer becoming "unstable"
3) Is live streaming easier or harder on FPS than fraps

People rarely take the time to actually listen/read a question when people ask unless you spell it out for them. Here are the answers:

1) Use a different program than fraps. Not all of them require you to lock your FPS at the recording rate. Maybe even newer versions of fraps do not require this.
2) Not really sure what the problem is with the winter vs summer map or what symptoms you are refering to when you say your computer becomes "unstable." It may be your hard drive, but "unstable" is vague.
3) It can be better, it can be worse. "Livestreaming" encodes video, or rather compresses it while simultaneously uploading it. This puts more stress on different components and less on others. In short, live streaming will probably be limited by your upload bandwidth, not your computer, and you should be able to get very high FPS in-game FPS while doing it. Will your recorded FPS be high? That all depends on your internet connection and quality requirements.

I wrote a guide on how to gauge your internet connection and set up procaster (livestream.com's video streaming software): http://www.solomid.n...__fromsearch__1

I do not believe that procaster has an option to locally record video. However, you can search for other video recording software that does. Procaster's quality most likely will not quite be that of fraps or other premium, locally recorded software. For most people, this is fine as they just want to have some kind of decent quality recording.

#7 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:58 PM

Jeebus, what is up with everyone talking about FPS and such?

Since I've started playing LoL, I've always ran about 20 fps and I do extremely fine. < <
"Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my Chains are broken.
The Force shall set you free.."
Posted Image

#8 Lithin

Lithin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

Since I've started playing LoL, I've always ran about 20 fps and I do extremely fine. < <

So you are the one that takes 5 min to connect that im always waiting for?
Posted Image

#9 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

So you are the one that takes 5 min to connect that im always waiting for?

No, it takes about 2 mins for me to connect (good internet). My laptop just isn't the best. I've never played with 100+ FPS, but I have 0 lag on my machine. 20-30 works perfect for me.
Posted Image

#10 Lithin

Lithin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

No, it takes about 2 mins for me to connect (good internet). My laptop just isn't the best. I've never played with 100+ FPS, but I have 0 lag on my machine. 20-30 works perfect for me.

it takes me around 15-25 seconds and then you sit and wait on everyone playing on an Atari

EDIT: just timed it. 9 seconds.
Posted Image

#11 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:23 AM

it takes me around 15-25 seconds and then you sit and wait on everyone playing on an Atari

EDIT: just timed it. 9 seconds.

okay I just checked for me, 17 seconds. loool
Posted Image

#12 Lithin

Lithin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

okay I just checked for me, 17 seconds. loool

yeah 17 seconds is nothing but sometimes you sit there and i can go grab something from the kitchen, check my cell and go to the bathroom in the time it takes some people to load.
Posted Image

#13 Feel a Fear

Feel a Fear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

Try recording fraps to an external HD. I had fraps issues and when I tried this, I hardly noticed the performance difference.

Sounds like it should work, just gotta get one.

#14 Feel a Fear

Feel a Fear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

Just did a test run with the second hard drive and my fps stayed around 120. :)

So now that I can have it record at any fps I want, is there a universal recording fps or something I should be using? Or does it not matter at all?

#15 Icon

Icon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Atari is win.
Posted Image
----------------------------------------------------If You Run...You Die Tired-----------------------------------------

#16 varmin

varmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

yeah 17 seconds is nothing but sometimes you sit there and i can go grab something from the kitchen, check my cell and go to the bathroom in the time it takes some people to load.

A SSD + Good internet is what boosts connect/loading time a lot.

If you are trying to fraps + play at the same time, I would cap your LoL at 60-80 FPS.
Also, you have to remember that LoL isn't a 'clean' game. The developers have always said it won't run as well as other games.

EDIT: Also you should look into overclocking your processor. I have my 920 @ 3.4, and most people I see OC up to 4.0. 930 can likely go even higher while safer.