Photo

Yorick as a counter pick to mid lane assassins?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mothergoose

mothergoose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

I have had a few games where, unintentionally, I have found myself playing yorick mid lane. Strictly speaking yorick is a strong top lane champ. Most mid lane champions can out harrass and out poke yorick in mid lane do to how short the distance between the two towers, and yorick is somewhat vulnerable to ganks so it is hard to push the lane. I think against most standard mid lane picks yorick is not the best choice, especially in the later stages of the game where the extra damage from the a strong AP champion is much more important than marginally winning a lane with a champion that doesn't scale that great into the late game.

However, there are some popular mid lane champion picks that are really dangerous and difficult to deal with using a more standard AP pick. Namely, kassadin, akali, and fizz are really powerful and snowball extremely easily. However, all three of these champions, in my experience, seem to fall apart if paired with a tanky champ with strong harrass. Yorick has probably the best tool kit, in my opinion, for punishing melee squishies because of the extreme harass and zoning capabilities of his ghouls (amazing range too), as well as his standard build is very tanky and and his Q gives him a lot of sustain. I haven't seen him played ever in mid lane in games before, but I think that he is probably the best counter pick in mid lane to a lot to all AP assassins. Would it be wise to use him as a counter pick in this situation? What problems might there be with this strategy?

#2 Valkasha

Valkasha

BOSS

• Members
  • 3568 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yes sending a bruiser mid if your team is uncertain about the matchup between your ap carries is a good idea, you better make sure your ap carry can play vs a bruiser at top lane though or you might end up worse off. It also mathers what side you on, as you generally want your AP carry close to the blue buff, which is impossible if you send him to eastern top lane (redbufftop side) This ofcourse doesn't mather if your ap carry doesn't need blue buff (vladimir,katarina,mordekaiser etc)
Posted Image

#3 zepy18

zepy18

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

True, I've been running bruzers and ad casters mid for a very long time, other people that work mid well are jarvan, talon, riven and renekton, to name a few. Also, rainman has been running yoric mid for months.

Posted Image
etree made the awesome sig, check him out here: http://sfang.deviantart.com/

Shameless guide plug: http://www.solomid.n...des.php?g=26343

#4 CactusLime

CactusLime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

Yes sending a bruiser mid if your team is uncertain about the matchup between your ap carries is a good idea, you better make sure your ap carry can play vs a bruiser at top lane though or you might end up worse off. It also mathers what side you on, as you generally want your AP carry close to the blue buff, which is impossible if you send him to eastern top lane (redbufftop side) This ofcourse doesn't mather if your ap carry doesn't need blue buff (vladimir,katarina,mordekaiser etc)

It doesn't necessarily require a lane switch. Your usual mid player plays Yorick, your toplane guy plays Vlad/Kennen/other common AP top champ and you'll be fine.

If you're jungler is AP (say Fiddle or Maokai) you could probably even have 2 Bruisers on the map. It would allow your jungler to build more damage and you'd likely destroy the lanes that way

#5 thresholden

thresholden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

Bruisers mid is something I want to see more of. I've played Garen mid before, it was a complete shit show cs wise but the silence + spin dominated the lane. Rushed Merc/Hexdrinker and never had to worry about dying.

#6 Returnthebomb

Returnthebomb

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

I think I need to buy yorick since everyone complains about him. Also Yorick vs Kassadin is LAWL, I'm thinking if I actually play yorick well Ill just leave kassidin open during the ban phase and counter pick him with yorick all day!
Posted Image
Signature by Etree ^^

#7 zepy18

zepy18

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

I think I need to buy yorick since everyone complains about him. Also Yorick vs Kassadin is LAWL, I'm thinking if I actually play yorick well Ill just leave kassidin open during the ban phase and counter pick him with yorick all day!

Or you could go the like, 50 other counterpicks to him. Honestly, no idea why everyone think's he's op.

Posted Image
etree made the awesome sig, check him out here: http://sfang.deviantart.com/

Shameless guide plug: http://www.solomid.n...des.php?g=26343

#8 Sethlans

Sethlans

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

I wouldn't, he's the most boring champion in the game to play.