• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Demacian Justice

Demacian Justice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Been playing a lot of ren. Most of the guides stress going AD runes and rushing a brutalizer. Wouldnt it make his late game a good ammount better to go Armor Pen runes and build AD thru itemization?
How badly would it gimp his laning to run ar pen vs flat ad?

If you DO go all flat ad, is last whisper a core midgame item to keep ren strong into late game? He can still burst down most ap/ad carries even past 35 mins...

Late game core: blood thirster, last whisper, mallet, GA? Swap maw for blood thirster vs double ap?

#2 Agiond

Agiond

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Flat AD is better to boost his earlygame dominance. Brutalizer helps a lot and let him delay his LW so you have time to end FM and BT. Then, LW is a must if you want to still be a thread. Anyway, his E helps a lot on teamfights. That armor reduction really helps.

"Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam" - Hannibal Barca

"We will either find a way, or make one"

JAX Guide: Imagine if he had a real weapon

#3 Cannonball

Cannonball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Renekton doesn't have a stellar late game, so you really need to stress his early game dominance. Flat AD runes and rushing a brutaliser all contribute to doing that. Then, if you make it to the late game, hopefully you managed to gain enough of an early lead to transition into a late game build while still being relevant.

#4 Preu

Preu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've recently started playing Renekton too, and I've found that building extremely tanky late game is very helpful in being useful. Staying in the fight as long as possible allowed you to deal as much damage with your ult. Instead of buying brutalizer, I tend to go straight for a Phage and a Frozen Mallet. Then, add more health and defense on in the forms of Warmogs/Atma's/Maw/Sunfire Cape. I still end up dealing a lot of damage and being able to tank.

I agree with the flat AD rune set up. He's one of the hardest lanes to go up against top and you will secure a kill if they play careless. One time, I killed their top and their jungler came in to finish me off. I ended up killing him, too.

Posted Image
BUUUT NASUS YOU PROMISED ME

#5 thundertaco

thundertaco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

I play a lot of Renekton in ranked games. He is my top-lane (and, most recently with pretty good results, jungler) pick of choice. I have experimented with a lot of different builds, and have wondered the same thing the OP himself has. Here is my feedback:

I do agree that AD runes/quints are better for him then armor pen for the same reason as previously stated: it gives him early game lane dominance, which you need with renek if you want to get to lategame and still be helpful. The two most important reasons are 1) the flat AD bonus increases the damage-to heal ratio from his Q on minion waves, allowing you to stay in lane and thus trade hits much better, and 2) the starting armor of most opponents you will be going up against in lane is relatively low at start (with the exception for champions that will have high armor innately, such as malphite.... but you should not be using renekton vs malphite, ever, period.) Additionally, the flat AD runes allow him to farm jungle creeps between lane mobs (top lane golems, bot lane wolves, etc) much quicker and get back to the lane before your opponent can push too hard.

I have also found that unless you are absolutely dominating, rushing a brut leaves him a little squishy and thus vulnerable to mid-lane and jungle ganks, as well as being easily focused in early-mid teamfights. Get wriggles or double doran's blade first, then throw a warmogs or frozen mallet on him, then get the brut.

Now, as for the last whisper question: Try a black cleaver instead. I have found the damage from the LW to be, well, meh. I will admit I have not done any theorycrafting or any of that crap, but I have found in experience that black cleaver has given me a lot more success.

Reasons I recommend a black cleaver over last whisper:

1) The last whisper is a tank killer item. It is used, lategame, to counter tanky champs that now have a lot of armor. Renekton's role in team fights is not the tank killer. Renekton is best used to slice and dice to the enemy carry or mage, stun, burst, and destroy.

2)Renekton's stun, with the fury bonus, will proc three stacks of black cleaver in one hit (Think WW's ult proccing madreds). That means the target now has a full Black cleaver debuff in one hit, or minus 45 armor. This, coupled with your brutalizer (or if you have it by now, ghostblade) means that ad/ap carry, who typically build a little bit of armor from GA or zhonyas hourglass, Is pretty much back to base armor stats, and is going down very, very quickly. Again hitting them with a LW is going to give you diminishing returns because they normally don't have a lot of armor.

3) having a Brutalizer / ghostblade gives your last whisper diminishing returns: flat armor pen is applied FIRST, then percent bonus.

4) If you are assisting/mopping up your team's carry that is rushed by an enemy tank or bruiser, The armor reduction from black cleaver is going to help your team's AD jungler or ranged carry kill that target you are focusing quicker. The black cleaver stacks will be increasing their damage output as well. LW only increases your own damage output. If they are rushed by an assassin, so much the better. The cleaver stacks mean the carry is going to two-shot them.

5) finally, the increased attack speed from cleaver means you are going to have fury coming in much quicker in prolonged teamfights and split pushing towers. Just a small bit of attack speed on renekton goes a long way in maintaining high fury late game.

Overall I've just done much better lategame with a cleaver over last whisper. Of course like anything though I recommend to just try it and see for yourself.

TL;DR- Use AD runes/quints, try a black cleaver instead of last whisper.

#6 mthayes

mthayes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Flat AD is better to boost his earlygame dominance. Brutalizer helps a lot and let him delay his LW so you have time to end FM and BT. Then, LW is a must if you want to still be a thread. Anyway, his E helps a lot on teamfights. That armor reduction really helps.

And you've just wasted your fury on E

#7 Agiond

Agiond

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

And you've just wasted your fury on E

Renekton isn't meant to be the killer in teamfights. If you can shred the enemy team's armor, then your carry will deal shitloads of damage to them. All you need to do is debuffing aror, stun their carry and hit him.

"Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam" - Hannibal Barca

"We will either find a way, or make one"

JAX Guide: Imagine if he had a real weapon