• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Kurtastrophy

Kurtastrophy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

So this is mainly a Q&A about Darius, but for some reason ive had a lot of problems with this champion recently. Can someone give me a viable answer about how to counter him/ how to prevent him from snowballing once he gets a single kill

#2 Kanova

Kanova

• Members
  • 1534 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Only play Yorick and if you have a good Udyr, play him.
Bleach is mostly water, and we're mostly water, therefore we are bleach.

#3 Cannonball

Cannonball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Darius isn't particularly difficult to counter. What makes him so dangerous is his kit allows him to easily counter a lot of other, popular bruisers (e.g. Riven, Renekton). To beat Darius you need sustain, ranged harass or both. Yorick has both, Cho'Gath has both. Udyr and Lee Sin have a lot of sustain. Nidalee, Jayce and Kayle have great ranged harass (and Jayce himself can easily disengage from Darius). Or you can just out duel him (Fiora, etc). The hardest part about fighting Darius is harassing him properly because you can't harass him like you can a lot of other champions. If you try to get in and get out, he'll drag you back, slow you and make a brawl out of it and Darius is really good at winning those sorts of brawls (which is why he does so well against bruisers like Rene and Riven). If you can work around that, you're golden.

Alternatively, because he has zero escapes just get your jungler to gank him.

#4 Uskelm

Uskelm

Eat. Sleep. Ball.

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

Alistar.He pulls you?Press Q and punt him away.

#5 Agiond

Agiond

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Darius can choose when to fight. You need a champion who can also choose his fights.

Darius has no escapes, is a melee champ, has no sustain, only has a pull with long CD, relies on AA and needs some passive stacks on you to really do damage. Abuse his weakneses, w/e you want. If I need to explain every champ and every strategy able to counter Darius I'd need a book. So I'll tell you some of my fav champs to fight him and how I play them.

Yorick can abuse Darius' melee range, his lack of sustain and his lack of escape mechanics. Spamm ghouls on him, take some armor and abuse him earlgame. Never go into melee range or you'll not be able to run away.

Jax can abuse his AA mechanic. As you may know, Jax is an anty AA champ, so abuse that. Play passive untill lvl 6, and then go into melee range, use E to dodge, abuse the w+ ult proc burst, stun him and go away. Cleanse and repeat, and the lane is yours.

Jayce can abuse his melee range and simply melt down that Noxian axe. Stand in cannon form, E+Q for sniper mode and laugh at his face. If he pulls you, change to hammer and Q+E and go away knowing that you've won the trade. Never get in melee range to Darius or you'll have troubles to run away (unless his pull is on CD)

Those are my fav champs to destroy Darius. Others can do that too, but as I've said, if i have to explain every champ and every mechanic able to destroy Darius I'd need a book. Know your champ, know your enemy.

"Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam" - Hannibal Barca

"We will either find a way, or make one"

JAX Guide: Imagine if he had a real weapon

#6 NormStorm

NormStorm

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

Darius's ultimate does True Damage. How do we counter true damage? Build more Health. Frozen Mallet, Rylai's, RoA, Warmog's Sunfire, all of those items help
Posted Image

#7 grimgg

grimgg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Take him down when he's alone or scouting within reasonable time.
Have a support with your team,
One of your team go all out on him, the rest can off tank and CC.
As he pulls, get a janna heal and ulti within range,
Stun slow and damage that facker until he's dead, even if he does all that shet to u, he will die hard.

Mostly these darius punks lane alone if possible which is your best chance, but most importantly, they stay within team for team fights.

Have a Support Janna or Ahri.

I was in a premade as Janna, with 3 friends - taric, TF and cho gath and a random vlad,
Against Fizz, Darius, Karma, Evelyn and Fiddle/something else i can't remember.

We won. Hard.

This was a case of bad team play.

But on other serious games, Darius should not be taken lightly, I play as a darius myself, the best way to counter darius, is gank him baiscally or within team fights, shut him down inb4 ulti replenish. Also with new patch updates, get a dupe hero like wu or shaco, so when he ultis your double clone, it doesnt replenish. since patch removed that ability..

#8 Demacian Justice

Demacian Justice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Renekton.
E in, AA, w, q, AA, e out.
Too much burst for Darius.

Darius kinda sucks tbh. He's really not one of the stronger top lane picks at all.
His ult is fun I suppose, but by level 6 you could have already stacked so much health he doesn't really get to use it. (health counters true damage) His pull has a very low range. Don't let him get stacks on you.

#9 pcsrbetter

pcsrbetter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

I think everybody is forgetting kayle. have ult on self-smartcast, and whenever he ults you counterult and kill him.

#10 Demacian Justice

Demacian Justice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Right kayle is probably his hardest counter. That being said, who really wants to play kayle? :P

#11 GrandmistressD

GrandmistressD

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

^true dat

I always use Vladimir with movespeed quints and 9/21 masteries. Just kite that bastard!

#12 Uskelm

Uskelm

Eat. Sleep. Ball.

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

I play Kennen against him.I win my lane every time.

#13 Mero Furuya

Mero Furuya

Rumble trainer!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

ninja tabi + double dorans shields u also need to bait his hook thingy

#14 BurntCod

BurntCod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yorick and Jax - fight broken with broken!

#15 Enforcerx

Enforcerx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Are some people actually saying jax/fiora/CHO'GATH beat darius?

Are you serious or crazy? Fiora gets harrased from range with q and can never even come close, jump in reflect one auto then darius does half her hp with a q w combo and then some more from his passive. Cho gath just gets fucked up the ass pre 6 and a good darius will NEVER let him get stacks. Jax has an ok chance but loses early game so hard that he needs a jungler camp. Cho'gath might have the sustain, but has ranged poke(Easy to dodge, low dmg) is not going to do anything. The only way to beat darius is just pick a ranged champ with an ESCAPE/defensive ability that has a good early game. Even if you pick a range champ like mf, come 6 no matter how low darius is he will just pull you in and pretty much one shot you. Seriously, the darius has to play so braindead to lose to any of these champions that it's not even funny. He can just use his movement speed buff to run away from jax's stun and aa immune and then pull him back in for some S&m action. Cho will straight up explode pre-6 and definetely the moment he hits 6, but will turn into farmfest if he somehow gets more than 3-4 stacks. and fiora just jumps in to insta die. All you have to do vs fiora is ulti before she is low HP, or at around 50% hp and full stacks of ur passive, ignite q w r and and dead before she can even ulti(fiora
s ulti has like a .5 sec delay before granting immunity)

Some of these advices are good, but the only way to really counter darius is yorick, ranged champs with escapes or jungler camps top(sometimes that doesnt work because he will be destroying lane so hard by the time you come top he will be 2-3 lvls ahead of your jungle and just 1 shot you and the jungler). Renekton also does fairly well, jump in, stun, jump out, just make sure it doesnt resort to an exchange where he can aa/cast abilities, or his dots will do like 200 dmg afer the exchange.

#16 Cannonball

Cannonball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Are some people actually saying jax/fiora/CHO'GATH beat darius?

At the very least, you're seriously misguided in your estimation of Cho vs Darius. The fact that you believe Rupture (Q) is Cho's early source of ranged harass proves as much. Good Cho's level Feral Scream (W). A long range, instant hit, hard damaging spell with a long silence attached. Darius gets harassed all to hell by Feral Scream and can do nothing about it. When it looks like he wants to engage with a pull in? Scream. No pulls. He's hanging back? Scream. If Darius does managed to engage with Pull (and that's the only way he should be engaging) Rupture at your feet and walk out.

Please note that Cho doesn't have to get stacks to beat Darius' ultimate. Feast is already far superior to Guillotine. It has almost half the CD at level six and does nearly twice the damage. The fact that it also gives you significant amounts of health (making Cho even harder for Darius to deal with) is just icing on the cake. There is nothing a Darius can do to Cho'Gath past level 3. And after that it's all down hill - especially when Cho begins to build Frozen Heart which is easily one of his core items.

#17 LaMigra

LaMigra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Vlad works well but you have to start cloth5 and bait his.hook. once he fails it just harass the.hell out of him. but if you get hooked early its gg. pretty much just play safe until level 6 also saving troll pool for his ult works wonders in close battles when you guys are both low and you have your ult on him.

#18 MoonChildQc

MoonChildQc

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Teemo

Nuff said.
Posted Image

Welcome to the League of Draven !

#19 Agiond

Agiond

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

Be carefull: Cho Gath bites.

"Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam" - Hannibal Barca

"We will either find a way, or make one"

JAX Guide: Imagine if he had a real weapon

#20 Coxy

Coxy

Busy.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Another very viable counter against Darius (top lane) is

Ashe. Her auto-attacks fall outside the range of his abilities, Slow, Volley, he's never able to lane a hit on you. Then bam, two ADC's.
Season 1 1310
Season 2 1512
Season 3 High 1873 low 930

CoxamusPrime - Plat5
Coxamus - Gold2
OnlyJunglesShaco - Gold5