Photo

Skype, TS, Vent - Which is better for competative play?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Skype, TS, Vent - Which is better for competative play (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Skype, TeamSpeak, Ventrillo - Which is better for competative play

1. Skype (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Ventrillo (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Teamspeak (7 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mauscop

Mauscop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

This is a friendly argument a community I am apart of have been going round and round with. What is the preferred way of voice coms when playing LOL competitively.

1.Skype which requires no push to talk. It just works.

2.Teamspeak which requires push to talk.

3.Ventrillo which also requires push to talk.

Both teamspeak and ventrillo have an option to make it voice activated.

My personal argument is having 1 less thing to keybind gives you an advantage. Even if it is as small as 1 less keybind and some people laugh at me saying this, but you are still using less of your brain to think about when you need to talk and press that button to talk. You are still utilizing more of your brain to play the game and worry less about pressing a keybind to talk.

#2 ScholesinhoSRB

ScholesinhoSRB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I think TS is the best way to communicate.
The best thing is push to talk,because you dont need to talk always and someone may not have that "cool" microphones that mute other sounds than voice.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesnt say anything its too late to stop reading it.

#3 RawCape

RawCape

Professional Thread Derailer

• Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

In all programs you can change whether you want voice recognition or push to talk (idk about skype @ pushtotalk). And the voice recognition works better on TS and Vent than it does on Skype (too much background noise, which you can reduce in the other programs)

So Skype is no go. Teamspeak and Vent are both pretty good, very minor differences, I prefer Teamspeak, but Ventrillo is also really good. Matter of preference/what you're used to.
"Humans are the embodiment of change, change and permanency. I'm no different. Except in the ways that I am."

"It's really simple, if you don't think about it."

Posted Image

#4 etree

etree

Fulguralis Arboreus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

My vote goes off to Mumble since you didn't list it. Ventrilo is nice but there is a short delay. Teamspeak is.. eh. And skype is just not optimized.

This is a friendly argument a community I am apart of have been going round and round with. What is the preferred way of voice coms when playing LOL competitively.

1.Skype which requires no push to talk. It just works.

2.Teamspeak which requires push to talk.

3.Ventrillo which also requires push to talk.

Both teamspeak and ventrillo have an option to make it voice activated.

My personal argument is having 1 less thing to keybind gives you an advantage. Even if it is as small as 1 less keybind and some people laugh at me saying this, but you are still using less of your brain to think about when you need to talk and press that button to talk. You are still utilizing more of your brain to play the game and worry less about pressing a keybind to talk.

Just adding that Ventrilo (I believe Teamspeak also) has the option to have voice-activated chat, not just push-to-talk.

TFDLXQV.png
My DeviantArt - My Stream - Steam - IGN: etree (NA)

#5 Pheqes

Pheqes

www.twitch.tv/Pheqes

• Moderators
  • 2496 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I use Team speak, but that's only because the clan I'm in uses it. It's not that bad. You have an array of talk options from push to talk, to voice activation, to continuous, along with changing the level of voice pitch it takes to activate voice activation.

Ranked 5s and You! - By Pheqes

Twitch Status: Offline
Activity: None

#6 Kinasaka

Kinasaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

IMO TS3 Is the way to go, consider it not just for competitive play but also for you're community at large. It allows people to have more fun with silly avatar's private message's (unlike ven't which has a lame chat room). also whisper list for you're buddy's which allow communication from other channels.
I could go on over all the little complicated thing's that you would have to learn in order to setup and fun and secure TS "There will always be troll's" but the choice is up to you.

#7 Rueian

Rueian

Out Crossing Animals

• Members
  • 3698 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

If only they added push to talk to Skype.

You only need 5 people in the room.
but as a community you want to avoid skype since you want volume over quality.

Rueian | NA | Silver V 35 | 182 : 200

Initiative Change Persistence Commitment Achievement
Posted Image

Season One | 1305 | 33 : 30

Season Two | 1240 | Top: 1296 | 267 : 271

#8 EvilASD

EvilASD

Cute like Teemo

• Members
  • 1331 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

If only they added push to talk to Skype.

You only need 5 people in the room.
but as a community you want to avoid skype since you want volume over quality.

Can set it on mute and bind a key to unmute on the keyboard. Thats often what i do at least.

#9 JoeBreezy

JoeBreezy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Skype seems fine to me as long as everyone has a half decent mic and there arent more than 3 people in the call. I would try something else though if its 5 people in the call

#10 Rueian

Rueian

Out Crossing Animals

• Members
  • 3698 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

i dont normally have issues with 5 people in a call as long as they arn't on the same LAN

Can you set the same bind to mute and unmute alternatively on skype?

Rueian | NA | Silver V 35 | 182 : 200

Initiative Change Persistence Commitment Achievement
Posted Image

Season One | 1305 | 33 : 30

Season Two | 1240 | Top: 1296 | 267 : 271

#11 JoeBreezy

JoeBreezy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

I've just had some issues with skype slowing down my computer when theres 5 people in the call. I think my main issue was my friends all being annoying and not having headphones or a mic, so there was alot of feedback over the speakers

#12 RawCape

RawCape

Professional Thread Derailer

• Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Tools -> Advanced -> Hotkeys -> Enable keyboard shortcuts -> Set hotkey for Mute Microphone
"Humans are the embodiment of change, change and permanency. I'm no different. Except in the ways that I am."

"It's really simple, if you don't think about it."

Posted Image

#13 inkbutt

inkbutt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Mumble/Teamspeak are what I use most for clans when playing World of Warcraft, League or other steam games like Counter Strike.
Easiest to use, customize and push to talk. Skype is more for just talking to a single person and not caring what's heard from background noise and shit.