• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 UglyTractor

UglyTractor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:11 AM

If you haven't done ranked 3s yet this season, I recommend checking it out. I personally think TT is a more enjoyable play than SR...especially solo queue SR. For a little background, at the beginning of season 1. SexyTractor, Illuminati, and myself rushed 3s to the front page for the first two weeks. Since then, SexyTractor has become relatively inactive and we have dropped down to around rank 200 from about 100 elo decay and more from losses.

EDIT: Updated to current patch (11/6)
LeBlanc: Tier S. She is AWESOME in TT. Basically a better version of Kass with an extremely strong early game. She has the burst potential to make ranged look stupid and the escape abilities to get away from most ganks. Awesome champion overall.

Before reading the list: This is a general guideline for a specific heroes strength in threes. Picking heroes with synergy or ones that compliment each other will result in greater success than simply picking the top 3 heroes available in this list.

Tier M: Mundo
Tier S: Singed, Garen, Morde, Gragas, Leblanc
Tier A: Nunu, Kennen, Anivia, Morgana, Akali, Janna, Xin, Warwick, Trynd, Sona, Shaco, Rammus, Teemo
Tier B: Olaf, Taric, Udyr, Ezreal, Zilean, Sion, Shen, Kassadin, Poppy, Nidalee, Corki, Pantheon
Tier C: Jax, Annie, MF, Trist, Cho, Amumu, Vlad, Kat
Tier D (not viable): The rest of the champions.

Tier M: Mundo deserves his own tier. He is both extremely strong and extremely fun during all stages of the game. He is the best hero on TT.

Tier S: For the most part, these champions are either a must have or a must pick. Gragas is amazing for laning and with drunken rage can scale better than almost anyone on TT.

Tier A: Here are some of the more commonly seen champions on TT (since the tier S heroes are often banned). Kennen can outzone almost anyone while still maintaining the ability to farm hard and protect himself from ganks. What makes most heroes in this tier strong is their ability to control the map and keep their team on top. A lot of heroes like anivia and morgana are looked past and can be snagged as an awesome last pick to a good kiting comp. Here are also your strongest ranged champions who posses the ability to both chase effectively and kite even better.

Tier B: These heroes are your situational heroes. Udyr is amazing in the jungle, taking little damage and being able to chase down as good as anyone. Poppy is a very strong pick to counter a ranged hero with no wall jumping ability (anivia, morgana, kennen, zil, ect) or even a melee without strong defensive cds. Janna is an awesome hero who can complete a kiting comp revolving around a strong physical. Some other heroes in this tier have strong slows or other skills that can close the gap against kiting comps.

Tier C: Generally only good for a counter pick or a pick that needs to fill two weird roles (annie being needs stun but more burst than morgana, trynd countering a strong physical on the other team who can kite, taric for babysitting a physical dps while carrying a stun and free armor pen, ect)

Tips for 3s/why certain hero comps work the way they do:

-Make sure you run smite. A team without smite will get buffs stolen from them and will lag behind in map control. Nothing sucks more than having lizard stolen from you at level 1 after you had gragas sacrifice half his health to tank it. Also needed for early dragon kills and jungling smoothly

-Wards are essential. Its 90g to ward lizard for 3 minutes. Thats 4.5 creep kills. 45 CS for 30 minutes, 15 CS per player. Considering a kill is worth 300g (25 CS in gold on average), will warding lizard save you from 2 ganks throughout the game? More than likely YES. Lizard is also a LOT more valuable in TT than other maps. If this means having your WW buy a lantern because nobody else on your team remembers to buy wards, then so be it. You NEED to ward on TT. Wards on dragon are very important too since it is also a popular ganking area.

-Pick intelligently. Don't pick three melee if the other team has a Kennen and a Janna. I made this mistake in my teams first loss of the season. RiotJeffJew took Janna from me and I picked poppy to counter Kennen. Sexy always played gragas and illu udyr. That gave us three melee against a Kennen Janna and Morde. We started off winning yes, as we were stronger early game, but as the game progressed, it became harder and harder to get past the Janna Kennen combo/poke, especially when we were diving into a very strong morde. Lesson? Do not just pick comps that work together, make sure you are outpicking the other team, or at the very least not getting outpicked.

-You don't HAVE to have a forester, but it helps. If the other team doesnt grab someone strong in the forest, take one. Having duo solos, assuming your two solos are capable of doing so, gives you a big advantage. There is always the threat of a gank coming from a Warwick with Red and Speed buff. Scary shit...you also will outfarm the other team and most of the time be in better positions to snag dragon or red.

-Dragon is a HUGE buff. It gives the team gold, experience, and a big buff. Being out of position and letting the other team snag dragon when its up is a big nono. We actually lost a game to hotshot and phreak after being up by 5 kills because we got lazy and didnt ward dragon, then got ganked from above after they got it, giving them a tower, 2 kills, and a dragon. Things like that are HUGE mistakes and can often not be made up for. Remember, TT is a shorter game with lesser players. Map objectives mean more.

Examples of smooth comps and their purposes:

Beginning of season 1 we ran Janna, Gragas, Udyr. Started 15-0 because of a mixture of players being unfamiliar with threes and just being bad players in general. Udyr controls the forest. Janna provides the kiting ability, cc, and team buffs (i primarily went starks first, then a health item like banshees or randuins. Gragas provides sick dmg output at level 9 with Janna shield + drunken rage.

After getting bored with our first comp, we decided to swap out trynd for udyr. This is an example of a good use of trynd. Janna shield allows you to dominate lower health heroes that dont stack armor. The aoe dmg reduction is amazing for teamfights too.

Currently we found a comp that we havent lost with yet. It revolves around your physical melee with a buff bot and a stun. Right now, I play nunu, sexy plays morgana, and illu plays xin or ww. Bloodboil provides an awesome dps boost for your carry, morgana shield is great for saves and nunu ult (especially prebanshees). Morgana brings two stuns and a slow, xin/ww have a slow (xin semi stun and ww supression) and nunu has a slow as well. Consume + smite allow for almost uncontested foresting, and with red you can gank with bloodboil + ice ball VERY easily.

Janna Mundo Akali, Akali solo bot, Janna Mundo duo top with dual smite. Push lane to tower then clear jungle above top, having great buff control and being nearly ungankable, this comp is VERY hard to counter

Jax, Panth, Sona: Jax maxes empower first, duos with sona bot. Lane has great burst and farming ability along with easily controlling red, pantheon is solo top and should be almost every other common 3s laner in the game.

Anyways, if you have read this far in, thanks for giving me the time and reading this through. If you are going to quote me, please shorten it to the specific section you want to quote so we dont get giant walls of text. This is my first tier list, and I am open to other opinions, especially since I have been smashed by some of the top players a few times and been sent back to square one.

TL;DR - Solomid > all
Posted Image

#2 Illuminati

Illuminati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:16 AM

Pretty solid if you ask me. Maybe switch up trynd and vlad, but that's about all I would change to it. Thanks for the post bro. Keep doing stuff and be casual like a boss!

#3 met4pod

met4pod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:56 AM

I agreed with but 2 things, Switch Udyr and WW, and Jax although the nerfs hurt like HELL is still viable and is atleast a B because of ult in team fights + his stun can easily hit all 3 in the close quartered map

#4 iRool

iRool

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:04 AM

Thank the god they removed the global xp from lizard. What a head ache the game was becoming the more competitive you were on tt before season 1 changes happened. But do I miss playing 3v3... Riot took away the only thing I liked to play, and so I have settled for solo queue 5v5 since that is the only thing under a 5minute queue timer.

Good list of information.

Is 3v3 normal queue timer faster if you duo queue?
Extreme joy is just as far off center as extreme anger

#5 UglyTractor

UglyTractor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:18 AM

Thank the god they removed the global xp from lizard. What a head ache the game was becoming the more competitive you were on tt before season 1 changes happened. But do I miss playing 3v3... Riot took away the only thing I liked to play, and so I have settled for solo queue 5v5 since that is the only thing under a 5minute queue timer.

Good list of information.

Is 3v3 normal queue timer faster if you duo queue?

I agree, the global xp on red made level 1 fights mean much more than they should.

I have actually never solo or duo queued for 3s. I have always done them with my set group. So I cannot tell you if normal 3s is a faster queue. I'm sure if you are in the 1200 bracket queueing for 3s would be very very quick.
Posted Image

#6 iRool

iRool

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:15 AM

I agree, the global xp on red made level 1 fights mean much more than they should.

I have actually never solo or duo queued for 3s. I have always done them with my set group. So I cannot tell you if normal 3s is a faster queue. I'm sure if you are in the 1200 bracket queueing for 3s would be very very quick.

Queueing solo for unranked 3v3 matches takes a very long time though
Extreme joy is just as far off center as extreme anger

#7 DenAce

DenAce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

Teemo works in 3s with the right team comp. The shrooms help give map control.

#8 UglyTractor

UglyTractor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:07 AM

Teemo works in 3s with the right team comp. The shrooms help give map control.

I wish I could say teemo was good in threes. But honestly, the little map control he gives is over-ridden by what nidalee or shaco bring. He is too squishy for the small damage output he provides, and he is basically useless since he is has no escape mechanisms and is heavily reliant on farm.
Posted Image

#9 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4712 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

Can you tell me why Nunu is so high, and Zil is lower than Bird?
Posted Image
Have a question? Check out my Request thread. Or perhaps you care to play with me?

"It's good to know your opponents' skills so you can think in their shoes, so you know what they're going to do" - ReginaId
"Caddy you are always TL;DR, stop using so much detail"
Decided to go back to my Retro Sig!

#10 UglyTractor

UglyTractor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Can you tell me why Nunu is so high, and Zil is lower than Bird?

Nunu is so much better in threes than he is in 5s. There are less people to interrupt his ult. When he gets a banshees the possibility is even less. Even so, if they do burn a stun on you, your strong dps (xin, ww, ect) who has bloodboil now has to worry about one less stun. Basically, think of every effect in 5s being amplified for threes, since there is less burst and dps for your carry to go up against. Nunu consume and smite allows you to take buffs faster than anyone without a madreds and steal buffs at will. You have a built in slow and a movement speed increase that can be put on an ally, which makes ganking and chasing very very easy. There are also a lot of quick turns and LoS issues in TT, allowing you to channel your ult without people knowing until they walk into the bush 2 seconds after the channel starts.

Anivia is maybe the most underrated hero in threes. Even with wall lv 1, she can block off most paths in TT. A good Anivia can manipulate when and where fights happen, allowing her and her team to burst down a hero before his/her teammates even have the chance to close in on your melee. Bushes also make it easier for flash frosts to land (as you can see in reginalds anivia tutorial). She also has an extremely long attack range, letting you poke well in range, and punish anyone who tries to close the gap with a quick flash frost-frostbite combo. Zilean is a good hero for TT don't get me wrong, but he just lacks the damage output to anyone who builds mercs/another mr item. I guess until I see a really effective Zilean he will lie a little lower on my tier list than other casters.
Posted Image

#11 gostoppable

gostoppable

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

You forgot the biggest counter to Olaf and Mundo which is rare but still happens. AP cho'gath.

Zil > Anivia

and Taric needs to bumped up a tier.

#12 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4712 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

You forgot the biggest counter to Olaf and Mundo which is rare but still happens. AP cho'gath.

Zil > Anivia

Damnit.. I knew I felt something missing.. Yeah, Where is Cho'gath he is great on this map, ~600 free damage? GG.

And I agree with Go, Zil > Anivia, I mean she has an egg only means she gets ignored her teammates die, then she dies with no mana. Zil Brings back who ever he wants. Which can be lulz. As for Taric. PIMP, I agree with Go, on all these points +1.
Posted Image
Have a question? Check out my Request thread. Or perhaps you care to play with me?

"It's good to know your opponents' skills so you can think in their shoes, so you know what they're going to do" - ReginaId

#13 DerWille

DerWille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Amazing post. The best part of it isn't the list itself, but what you include after it.

#14 Otukt

Otukt

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Yeah i really agree on the Zilean part, hes so increadibly strong on this map.
I wont comment on wherei think he belongs but i really feel that you need to rethink when it comes to zilean. Maybe try and fit him in to some of your games and build your own opinion(If you havntplayed him in threes that is).

Nice list overall!
Posted Image

#15 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4712 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Amazing post. The best part of it isn't the list itself, but what you include after it.

Yeah not only did my team run smite.. we ran.. DOUBLE SMITE FOR SUPER FAST EVERYTHING, it was awesome, and I still recommend it.
Posted Image

#16 UglyTractor

UglyTractor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

Yeah not only did my team run smite.. we ran.. DOUBLE SMITE FOR SUPER FAST EVERYTHING, it was awesome, and I still recommend it.

Double smite is very common and has its benefits. Generally you would drop an ignite or a flash for it. I usually run double smite as well, but sometimes we will run double exhaust instead if the other team is melee heavy.

Zil > Anivia

Until I see a Cho'gath who can last in a game against us for more than 20 minutes, he wont be on this list. I have yet to see a successful Cho in 3s. I can see your point in his burst countering mundo, but I feel like Annie or Poppy would be such better choices for obvious reasons.

Taric in threes is....meh. He is reallllllly overrated and doesn't bring that much to his team. His heal is fairly subpar, since of TT revolves around early teamfighting. He really lacks in damage and auras aren't nearly as effective in threes as they are in fives. TT is where Janna, the king of babysitting 1 champion, shines. She is the better choice in most situations.

Lastly, why do you guys feel Zilean should be higher up? I personally rarely see him aside from when I choose him myself for Santa Lawls. What makes him more viable than anivia?
Posted Image

#17 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4712 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

So not to be rude here Ugly but... You cannot put a champion into your list JUST because you have never seen one or seen one do good. That would be me like putting Morg in a lower tier because baddies play her all the time and fucking blow asshole; but that does not mean she is prob the best support DPS in-game; and honestly the best 2v1 in a lane.

As for why Zil > Bird, here is a few things I think; His Ulti > Egg, more spammable burst damage, his is not hit or missed, cannot be dodged or avoided; a he allows a tank or enemy to do something you want. Like getting a Olaf in their face, or getting a Kennen into your group. Furthermore he gives you a big edge in having a jungler with his exp mastery. Having a wall block is cool, but one slip can be bad and you might fuck a teammate, with a speed or slow that won't happen, so less likely of a mishap. Anivia does have good burst and a stun which can be unreliable, I think the support an probally more constant DPS zilean offers is more reliable.
Posted Image

#18 UglyTractor

UglyTractor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

So not to be rude here Ugly but... You cannot put a champion into your list JUST because you have never seen one or seen one do good. That would be me like putting Morg in a lower tier because baddies play her all the time and fucking blow asshole; but that does not mean she is prob the best support DPS in-game; and honestly the best 2v1 in a lane.

As for why Zil > Bird, here is a few things I think; His Ulti > Egg, more spammable burst damage, his is not hit or missed, cannot be dodged or avoided; a he allows a tank or enemy to do something you want. Like getting a Olaf in their face, or getting a Kennen into your group. Furthermore he gives you a big edge in having a jungler with his exp mastery. Having a wall block is cool, but one slip can be bad and you might fuck a teammate, with a speed or slow that won't happen, so less likely of a mishap. Anivia does have good burst and a stun which can be unreliable, I think the support an probally more constant DPS zilean offers is more reliable.

What I mean by "until I see a good one" is more along the lines of, until a Cho can prove his worthiness in TT he won't have a spot on my list. He is kited way too easily. His stun is easy to dodge. His silence got nerfed. Chos biggest problem though is how much he relies on farm to be effective end game. AP cho provides some nice burst, and once level 6 is strong for buff taking, but aside from countering a select few heroes (and not even as well as most) he is outshined and doesn't really have a place in threes.

Having said all this. Cho could be considered a viable counter for Mundo (though poppy is still better), so I will add him to my list

As for Anivia vs Zilean, I'm going to cheat a little and refer to a slightly outdated tier list. http://www.leagueofl...e=4#post2629631 Go to page 1 to see where Mega places a lot of the popular threes champions. Note his placement of Zilean. This was before the small Zilean nerfs. Anivia provides both burst dmg and sustained dmg. This is what Zilean lacks. Anivia really doesn't have to worry about running "oom" since 3s has minimal poking and a much shorter farming phase. Anivia scales better than Zilean, and I'm not going to assume your Anivia player is more than solid enough to land walls properly. I personally would rather have a Janna over a Zilean.

I have lost countless games due to opponents dragging them out and armor stacking to counter our physical. At a later point in the game, a zilean will get dove on and have to burn his ult on a teammate, who will get focused down anyways. At a higher level I rarely see Zileans, like I honestly can't remember the last time I saw another team pick him.

I did move Zilean up a little though, but only because I do see him as an extremely strong last pick if the opposing team lacks burst.
Posted Image

#19 DerWille

DerWille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

I have lost countless games due to opponents dragging them out and armor stacking to counter our physical.

Specifically, which heroes, items, teamp comps, strategies, etc counter this? It's the main reason why I started to lose 3v3's.

#20 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4712 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

Specifically, which heroes, items, teamp comps, strategies, etc counter this? It's the main reason why I started to lose 3v3's.

Nothing really Wille, you have a few choices pick a new comp, do what we did and optimalize against armor stackers, or beat their fucking faces in before they can get enough armor to stop you.
Posted Image