• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Lefoid

Lefoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

I've recently picked up gangplank for ranked 3s and practicing him a lot because he's a fun champion, but what i'm curious to as is he viable as a semi-competitive top in a gold ELO and if so, how should I play him and when I should pick him (Matchup wise, I've had success in 1v1 GP and kennen). Thanks for your time and I hope you guys can help me out!

#2 Dominus Ensis

Dominus Ensis

Swiggity swag, what's in the bag?

• Guides Moderator
  • 3414 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

He's not in a very good place right now. Takes too long to scale and has a bad lane phase.
The guide is still being constructed. If you really want to see an incomplete Renekton guide, feel free to click the image.

NOTE: RUNES AND MASTERIES UNDERGOING A MAJOR REFORMAT (also I have to reupload the images because photobucket sucks)

Posted Image

Thanks to Foo18 for the image.

#3 x Sigh x

x Sigh x

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

In 5s, GP is really difficult to win lane with against the likes of Renekton/Darius/Zed who can spam all of their abilities and burst you down.
In 3s, GP constantly gets built as a glass cannon crit machine. It's ice to Q someone for 1/3 of their max health, and it works against bad players, but the 3v3 meta favors bruisers who can survive multiple skirmishes and if you build GP this way all it takes is one cc to instagib him. If you build him tanky, he still can't compare to other champions who build tanky but have multiple damage sources outside of autos.
Fun champion, just not very consistent.
Posted Image

#4 Lefoid

Lefoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

He's not in a very good place right now. Takes too long to scale and has a bad lane phase.

That's what I've heard, but do you think there will be any time in the future where his lane phase will be buffed sometime in the future or maybe in any situation against certain champions where Gangplank would be a good pick?

#5 x Sigh x

x Sigh x

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

That's what I've heard, but do you think there will be any time in the future where his lane phase will be buffed sometime in the future or maybe in any situation against certain champions where Gangplank would be a good pick?

GP is quite an old champion and there's a sort of 'power creep' going on now where the new champions are getting better and better and scaling harder and just having more relevant kits.

GP will probably need a rework to be competitive against the hyper mobile, hyper CC, hyper innate offense/defense that we're seeing in champs like Vi and Zac
Posted Image

#6 Lefoid

Lefoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

In 5s, GP is really difficult to win lane with against the likes of Renekton/Darius/Zed who can spam all of their abilities and burst you down.
In 3s, GP constantly gets built as a glass cannon crit machine. It's ice to Q someone for 1/3 of their max health, and it works against bad players, but the 3v3 meta favors bruisers who can survive multiple skirmishes and if you build GP this way all it takes is one cc to instagib him. If you build him tanky, he still can't compare to other champions who build tanky but have multiple damage sources outside of autos.
Fun champion, just not very consistent.

I manage to build a way around 3s, but still, this is all about 5's. Please can I get more info/opinions?
Also I understand that, but I feel like there can still be certain situations where he could overpower a weak early game champion persay nasus, Cho, Kennen and be able to snowball well into mid/late game.

#7 Kniggit

Kniggit

Cute like Teemo

• Members
  • 1347 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

The only reason to get GP is for his ultimate, however with the addition of many more AOE ultimates there just isn't a reason to pick him anymore unless in some crazy duo bruiser lane where he is basicly the support. He is pretty much outclassed in lane by any other bruiser.
Posted Image

#8 Dominus Ensis

Dominus Ensis

Swiggity swag, what's in the bag?

• Guides Moderator
  • 3414 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

I manage to build a way around 3s, but still, this is all about 5's. Please can I get more info/opinions?
Also I understand that, but I feel like there can still be certain situations where he could overpower a weak early game champion persay nasus, Cho, Kennen and be able to snowball well into mid/late game.

The thing is, you don't see weak early game champs because they're bad right now. He was good when stalling farm lanes were popular. Now they aren't.

He's also absolute ass at 1v2. Can't do it.

He can be good, just not in the current meta.
The guide is still being constructed. If you really want to see an incomplete Renekton guide, feel free to click the image.

NOTE: RUNES AND MASTERIES UNDERGOING A MAJOR REFORMAT (also I have to reupload the images because photobucket sucks)

Posted Image

Thanks to Foo18 for the image.

#9 Lefoid

Lefoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

That's what I thought. I really hope they rework him or i can figure out a way to make him scale quick into late. Thanks for your guys' opinions c;

#10 randompanda

randompanda

The One and Only General Panda! Join my Army Peasants!

• Members
  • 4723 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

I fail to see why you guys think he's bad :' I felt like playing him yesterday and it turn out supper well (was a normal 5v5 I'm gold S2/3 vs a nidalee also gold)

First off what changed from S1/2 => S3 is that you want to max your W first which gives you a ton of sustain in lane.

I ran ghost/teleport because ghost is just >>>> then flash on a bruiser in teamfights even if you have a mini ghost.

Start : Flask + pot + ward

first b : tear (you might take chalice if you prefer that and or are against an AP champ)
=> you max W so you can be at 100% hp most of the time,
=> you can use your Q to harass and farm.

Next b : boots T1 and Avarice for gold/10 and crits, I love crit plank. It builds into shivs for waveclear and Atma's I builded them both that game.

Next you start building you phage, if you get kills you can go for trinity if not a frozen mallet can make you a more tanky support cc bot.

rest of the build is situational.

Here's the game I was talking about:

Posted Image

40 min game and I almost had my full build :) try it out and let me know what you think!

Posted Image

#11 Lefoid

Lefoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

I fail to see why you guys think he's bad :' I felt like playing him yesterday and it turn out supper well (was a normal 5v5 I'm gold S2/3 vs a nidalee also gold)

First off what changed from S1/2 => S3 is that you want to max your W first which gives you a ton of sustain in lane.

I ran ghost/teleport because ghost is just >>>> then flash on a bruiser in teamfights even if you have a mini ghost.

Start : Flask + pot + ward

first b : tear (you might take chalice if you prefer that and or are against an AP champ)
=> you max W so you can be at 100% hp most of the time,
=> you can use your Q to harass and farm.

Next b : boots T1 and Avarice for gold/10 and crits, I love crit plank. It builds into shivs for waveclear and Atma's I builded them both that game.

Next you start building you phage, if you get kills you can go for trinity if not a frozen mallet can make you a more tanky support cc bot.

rest of the build is situational.

Here's the game I was talking about:

Posted Image

40 min game and I almost had my full build :) try it out and let me know what you think!

I'm curious to as what runes/masteries you run on him.

#12 tortillagirl

tortillagirl

BOSS

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

I prefer him in midlane than toplane, although hes realy great for farmlanes top as he is a carry and thus if you can find a farmlane you can generally outscale alot of toplaners.
Tortillagirl - Wins 37 - Losses 23 - Platinum Division V
Tortillagi - Wins 128 - Losses 116 - Platinum Division V
BagelBar - Wins 69 - Losses 49 - Gold Division I

#13 Deemez

Deemez

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

Archon is running a great build, but I wouldn't buy Atma's though. An infinity edge is better for his purpose.
And since he's already got Trinity, I'd buy something like Randuins instead.

Run the usual AD/MR/ARMOR on him.

Posted Image

#14 Rousland

Rousland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

Loses lane to too many champions

#15 Deemez

Deemez

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

^Define ''loses lane to many''.

As in 1v1?

As in outfarmed?

Gangplank can't lose his lane once he gets a few of his items.

Posted Image

#16 Lifeless

Lifeless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

Every night since Thursday, a Spooky Gangplank with Thornmail has been haunting me in my dreams. He always manages to find me when I have 99 HP before Statikk Shiv's Passive procs off a minion, and then I wake up in a cold sweat right as the electricity hits my body.

Only Up-to-Date Thresh Guide on SoloMid.Net (shameful):

http://www.solomid.n...ort-by-lifeless

#17 Lefoid

Lefoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

Every night since Thursday, a Spooky Gangplank with Thornmail has been haunting me in my dreams. He always manages to find me when I have 99 HP before Statikk Shiv's Passive procs off a minion, and then I wake up in a cold sweat right as the electricity hits my body.

You're beautiful.

#18 randompanda

randompanda

The One and Only General Panda! Join my Army Peasants!

• Members
  • 4723 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm curious to as what runes/masteries you run on him.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was :

Armor pen red
Armor yellow
scalling MR blue
AD Quints

Armor and MR (flat or scaling depending on lane)

Reds: AD and Arpen (maybe AS?)
Quints : AD/Arpen/MS/HPregen

depends a bit on your play style but a lot of runes work on him tbh

Posted Image

#19 Uskelm

Uskelm

Eat. Sleep. Ball.

• Members
  • 1072 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

In yoloQ I just play farmplank.I rush Philo and Avarice and last hit with Q.After those I get a Phage then rush Warmogs.I finish Statikk Shiv and start building towards Frozen Mallet.I take Flash and Teleport and I don't leave top lane until the 25th minute.To compensate I just use my ult to help ganks and objectives.I'm currently 6-0 in ranked using this strategy.

#20 Tetsuo

Tetsuo

↓↘→ Hadouken!

• Members
  • 2717 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Gangplank mid is one of the best laners in the game, don't listen to anybody in this thread.
Posted Image
If you are looking for a place to discuss all gaming-matters in a civil tone with awesome people...well, why not join us than at the Omnigamers Forum?