12 replies to this topic

#1 Zomgshanked

Zomgshanked

Sexy Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yesterday I went into a game as Tristana + Leona against Sona + Caitlyn, as Trist I was unable to even cs without taking like 2-3 autos to the face and I couldn't go aggressive because my E+Auto would be quickly healed back. I feel as though this match up shouldn't have been as hard as it was but I was down probably 80 cs end game. What should I have done?

(The Cait was definitely more skilled than I am and I looked up her stats and she was a far higher ELO for some reason in the game but that doesn't excuse me only having a reliable income from the kills I was picking up when jungler came)

tumblr_mqeqcuvK7X1rj9mioo1_400.gif

"Life ain't no Etch-A-Sketch, you can't just shake away the mistakes."

Tumblr: http://itsyaboimichael.tumblr.com/

#2 Pheqes

Pheqes

www.twitch.tv/Pheqes

• Moderators
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

From my experience: Just sustain and farm. Leona is a bad pick against Cait, in my opinion because

A ) Cait can just kite away from Leona before she can be grabbed
B ) Cait can harass from afar and Leona gives no sustain.

Tristana is barely a counter to Cait anyway. Her range goes beyond cait at like... level 16 or something.

I would take someone who can harass with skills like Ezreal, MF, or Graves. And make sure to get a support with sustain. Taric and sona can both give armor and heal. Nami is cool too.

Ranked 5s and You! - By Pheqes

Twitch Status: Offline
Activity: None

#3 juke desu

juke desu

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Play Draven.

Profit.

#4 Lifeless

Lifeless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Tristana:
Level 12 - 649
Level 13 - 658

The only thing you can do against a Caitlyn + Sona lane is pick Miss Fortune and even then it's a tough match-up.

Draven is good at bursting Caitlyn down...if Caitlyn doesn't have her escape up.

Ezreal's abilities are mad easy to dodge, don't ever pick him against Caitlyn.

Graves is able to hold his own as long as he keeps his Passive up, because he'll win trades with his Quickdraw. Otherwise, he's a 525-range scrubnugget.

Or play Caitlyn yourself. In the end, when going up against Caitlyn, your support needs to be in overdrive.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. Taric. Enough said.

Only Up-to-Date Thresh Guide on SoloMid.Net (shameful):

http://www.solomid.n...ort-by-lifeless

#5 1uk

1uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Get Alistar support, if your ad carry is bad max e, if his decent give E 2 or 3 points and max q. With heal you are safe from harras and before 6 lvl you can push you lanes to enemy tower and with ult towerdive her and get 1 or 2 kills for your carry. Give signs to you jungler so he helps you when you get your ult.

I think countering ad carries is more about picking support then ad carry. But thats only my opinion.

#6 Zomgshanked

Zomgshanked

Sexy Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies, and yeh. I think when I see Cait from now on I am going to go with a MF or Draven and ask for a sustain support. Most caitlyns I face I am able to easily trade with this one didn't care about my at all though. :b

tumblr_mqeqcuvK7X1rj9mioo1_400.gif

"Life ain't no Etch-A-Sketch, you can't just shake away the mistakes."

Tumblr: http://itsyaboimichael.tumblr.com/

#7 DeeCee

DeeCee

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

pick Varus
Posted Image

#8 Hedshodd

Hedshodd

Gold Member of Procrastination

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Varus + Sustain Support (best case scenario: Taric) craps all over Caitlyn imo...Varus has way more movement speed than her (Varus has top notch MS among ADCs, while Cait has one of the lowest MS), so when she wants to harass you, you can actually just move into range, before she can disengage and get 1 or 2 AAs on her (with passive buff from killing a minion you might even get three) and pop the blight stacks with your E (hard to dodge, unless she uses her E (which costs a lot of mana though) and the effective range is about as high as her AA range). She should lose those trades and a sustain support can make sure you come ahead in pretty much every trade.
Taric is a beast here, because he buffs Varus' armor, has a heal, and a stun post lvl6 (you need to react fast and ult her of course^^) is a kill or at least 2 blown summoner spells most of the time.
"Enthropy wins. Enthropy always wins." - Thane, Mass Effect 2.

Posted Image

#9 Agiond

Agiond

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Taric is a beast here, because he buffs Varus' armor, has a heal, and a stun post lvl6 (you need to react fast and ult her of course^^) is a kill or at least 2 blown summoner spells most of the time.

It's better than that. Taric has a lvl 1 stun if he wants to (in fact, picking the stun at lvl 1 is very common). What Taric has at lvl 6 is a huge AOE damage and AD/AP buff. That's why when Taric gets lvl 6 it usually leads to a kill: stun (unless the enemy ADC is stupid enough to let you get too close) + R + W. That will chunk half of enemy's ADC HP, plus the damage your ADC will do... you can 100 to 0 if they don't flash away.

"Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam" - Hannibal Barca

"We will either find a way, or make one"

JAX Guide: Imagine if he had a real weapon

#10 Hedshodd

Hedshodd

Gold Member of Procrastination

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

It's better than that. Taric has a lvl 1 stun if he wants to (in fact, picking the stun at lvl 1 is very common). What Taric has at lvl 6 is a huge AOE damage and AD/AP buff. That's why when Taric gets lvl 6 it usually leads to a kill: stun (unless the enemy ADC is stupid enough to let you get too close) + R + W. That will chunk half of enemy's ADC HP, plus the damage your ADC will do... you can 100 to 0 if they don't flash away.

I wasn't talking about Taric picking his stun late, but when he lands a stun at lvl 6, it's usually a kill, if the Varus can follow it up with his ult, and both Taric and Varus just faceroll over their keyboards and kill the enemy champ they just cc-locked (unless they didn't harass at all, and the Caitlyn is still sitting at 100% hp)^^
"Enthropy wins. Enthropy always wins." - Thane, Mass Effect 2.

Posted Image

#11 Aboithagameboi

Aboithagameboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

from now on I am going to go with a MF or Draven and ask for a sustain support

Bad idea. I used to Draven as my main ADC (Before switching to cait, funnily enough), and you want to abuse his early game. You can't really do that with a sustain support except for Taric. Lulu/Draven is good and Thresh/Draven is REALLY good. Sustain supports can't really keep up with the damage Draven wants to throw at the enemy.

#12 Dominus Ensis

Dominus Ensis

Swiggity swag, what's in the bag?

• Guides Moderator
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sona/Draven isn't a bad combo, and Dina's a sustain support...XD.
The guide is still being constructed. If you really want to see an incomplete Renekton guide, feel free to click the image.

NOTE: RUNES AND MASTERIES UNDERGOING A MAJOR REFORMAT (also I have to reupload the images because photobucket sucks)

Posted Image

Thanks to Foo18 for the image.

#13 Relentless

Relentless

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Bad idea. I used to Draven as my main ADC (Before switching to cait, funnily enough), and you want to abuse his early game. You can't really do that with a sustain support except for Taric. Lulu/Draven is good and Thresh/Draven is REALLY good. Sustain supports can't really keep up with the damage Draven wants to throw at the enemy.

Draven is still one of my favorite ADCs to play, but you really do have to take advantage of being an early game bully. If you're against a Sona especially, I really like making her the priority target as opposed to the enemy carry. She'll normally pack minimal HP early game since she's a sustain powerhouse, but that makes her super vulnerable if you rock an aggressive support like Leona who, in combination with Draven's double axes, can easily 100-0 her in a single engage.

Once you've got both axes up as Draven, throw out the auto-E-auto combo, and just disregard the first axe if it would cost you positioning to catch. Land ignite as soon as you get close enough, and your aggressive support (Leona, Taric, Zyra) will be able to follow up your E with their stun / root if they hadn't already used it.

Obviously if you have an opportunity to take out the carry, seize it, but IMO it's just as effective to take the sustain out of lane. While the support's down, you have free reign to bully or zone the ADC, which helps make up for the native difficulty of trading with Cait.

As a more general tip, try and bait her into using Q as much as possible. Not only will it leave her starved for mana, it has a good chance of pushing the lane in your favor. If you can freeze the wave just out of tower range, your jungle should have ample opportunity to make an appearance as long as you can maintain a little bit of ward control in river.