23 replies to this topic

#1 Reginald

Reginald

BOSS

• Moderators
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Champion: Akali
What kind of champion is this? What does he/she specialize in?
Akali is a great early game champion that has great chase and escape mechanisms. Akali shouldn't be picked in draft mode all the time, because depending on what the opposing team gets, Akali may not contribute to anything end game.
She is sort of the "clean-up killer" and the "KSer." Extremely high damage output if built right but is easily shut down when it comes to Oracles. Akali should probably never be built as AD. She should only have enough AD to activate her passive. Other than that, Akali's damage output is mainly through AP. In my opinion, Akali is the best assassin in the game.

What lane is this champion in?
Akali is good anywhere, but she wouldn't be good bottom lane unless she has a good lane partner (ex. Janna), mainly because shes useless unless she takes a solo or unless fed. I personally like solo laning because hardly anything can counter her Shroud harassment for CS and Q harass. There are a few that can completely shut out Akali in a solo lane, that is (Cho'gath, Garen, Gragas, Kassadin, Kennen, Mordekaiser, Pantheon, and Urgot). Yes, Urgot, but only because you can still Q+E combo her in the shroud. She gets shut out mainly because of silence and just plain tankiness (in addition to high damage output). Akali can completely shut out any other than I just listed, especially ranged carries.
Akali can jungle, but I wouldn't recommend it unless everyone on your team can't do the job. Main reason is because shes hanging on a thread while jungling (sitting at 10% once in awhile). And Akali is very very rune/mastery dependent when it comes to it. Pick up Offensive Mastery 2/2, Armor yellows, Magic pen reds, Flat AP quints and blues (Or Flat HP Quints, up to you). And also, I extremely would not recommend jungle Akali if they have a Shaco/Poppy on their team.

What champions does he/she excel with?
Akali is nothing without her support, she will get shut down if you have none. Great support champs for Akali would be mainly Kayle/Shen... And of course with anything - Janna/Taric. Kayle is great to help Akali tower dive, assuming you have Ignite/Flash, And Shen for that same reason.

Objectives: What are you trying to accomplish with this champion?
What is your role?
Akali needs to get fed early game. It is rare that Akali would still carry even though she lost her lane and has a 0-3 K/D. You need to lane against a champ that you can easily harass (above), and feed off that lane. Keep farming, and don't keep roaming around.
In team fights, your main role is "clean-up." Never initiate fights when the teams are even, especially when they have oracles. Wait for the rest of your team to do as much damage as possible, then it is your job to come in last for kills. If you're actually a threat to the other team and is farmed, they will save their CDs for you if anything, so wait until you see ex. WW ultis someone, then come in for the kill. During a high ELO game, your objective is to carry early and mid game. You most likely cannot carry end game, so you need a ranged AD carry on your team at all times.

Situational Item builds:
Main build:
(Early)
1. Doran's Blade with (3/3 Brute Force)
2. Sorcerer's Boots/Mercury's Threads
3. Hextech Revolver (Optional, only if you blue pill early and you have nothing to use your gold on. Otherwise, skip revolver and go to Rylai's Crystal Scepter.)
(Mid)
4. Rylai's Crystal Scepter
5. Lich Bane
(Late End)
6. Hextech Gunblade
7. Zhonya's Ring

You most likely will never get near Hextech Gunblade or Zhonya's Ring in an average game, only games lasting over 50+ min, or they just mindlessly fed you 20 kills in a 30 min duration.

Masteries:
21/9/0

Offensve: Defensive
(3/3) Deadliness (3/3) Resistance
(3/3) Archmage's Saavy (1/3) Hardiness
(4/4) Sorcery (4/4) Evasion
(1/1) Archaic Knowledge (1/1) Nimbleness
(1/1) Burning Embers
(3/3) Sunder
(3/3) Brute Force
(1/1) Havoc

Rune Set:
+8.5 Magic Pen Reds
+24 Ability Power
+6.8% Dodge

You need to be doing a lot of damage early game, or you won't do hardly anything if you pick up AP/lvl. The Dodge is situational, but its mainly for the early game anti auto attack harass. Yellow runes are completely up to you (ex. hp/lvl is great also).

Skill 1 Explanation:
"Mark of the Assassin" is your best friend, alongside with your R ability. It's focused on your ability power and does an insane amount of burst. Used for last hitting creeps if your solo lane opponent is stomping on you. Stack this always.

When is this good to use?
Main DPS mechanism. It is triggered after you hit them after marking them with it. It's also depended on for last hitting creeps in early game laning.

How to effectively use it?
Keep spamming this move when laning, but when your energy is low then make sure you hit the creep after marking it to get some energy back. When you mark an enemy champion, make sure you trigger the mark before marking them again, otherwise its a waste of DPS and energy.

Tips on how to use it better:
The cooldown on this move is short. And the duration of the mark on the enemy is higher than its cooldown by a few seconds. So to surprise your opponent and fully use your damage output, do this: Mark your target, wait for the cooldown to be finished, use your ultimate, trigger Mark, Mark again, trigger second Mark. You bascially trigger your Q move twice under a second.

Skill2:
"Twilight Shroud." Used to stay hidden and to slow down enemies.

It's good for almost all situations. Just be careful, when you use it carelessly and get caught with your pants down because your shroud is on cooldown, you're forced to either use your ultimate (most cases, you wouldn't ulti at their minions towards their tower) or worse case scenario, flash. Use Shroud to last hit minions if you find yourself getting stomped by your lane opponent. And if you control the lane, use Shroud to push your opponent back out of XP range.

Tips on how to use it better?
Use Shroud on the edge of brushes to highly increase your juking. If they try to find you, their going to be near your shroud and not on the very end of the brush that that Shroud was attached to. Don't keep spamming this move, because you're going to eventually need it when you're getting ganked. Also, Shroud increases your MR and Armor, so sit in your shroud when Garen spins near you, a tower shoots you, or if Karthus is using his Ulti. And lastly, while in a lane, when you use Shroud to run towards your opponent to Mark them with your Q move, run away while you're still temporarily visible. And then the INSTANT you become invisible again, you run back towards them to get a close shot to trigger your Mark. You run away while visible in shroud to make them think that you're retreating, but when you go invisible again, run back towards them to trigger your Q. It's fun when it works out in the end.

Skill 3:
"Crescent Slash" Small AoE around Akali for mostly AD damage.

This move is only good for farming. Never spam this move when you're chasing someone or in a big team fight, because before you know it, you barely did any damage with it and you just wasted all of your energy.

What is it used for?
Farming. Also, its very situational to use it to gank someone, unless you absolutely know you're going to kill that person under 5 seconds, then knock yourself out using E for that mini damage.

Keep using this move to a minimum in team fights. Your Q does 5x more damage than your E and also does not refund energy. The sole purpose of this move is for farming.

Skill 4:

"Shadow Dance." Jump at your opponent and do magic damage. No energy cost. Uses Essences of Shadow (x3) that refreshes to max stacks of 3 over time.

Used for jumping running enemies, jumping to creeps for escape, and just for the plain magic damage.

How to effectively use it?
This is a great juking ability. And when used in combination of "Mark of the Assassin," make sure you wait half a second before leaping at your enemy with R, because if you leap in too soon after a Mark, your Mark wont trigger until after your second auto attack, assuming you want to attack right away.

Make sure you don't spam this move, especially early game, because the refresh timer on an additional Essence of Shadow is very long. Ganking with only one Essence of Shadow in most cases would be a bad idea, because you won't have a second to when they Flash/Ghost. Keep in mind you gain an additional Essence of Shadow for a Kill/Assist too.

General tips on this champion:
-Akali is never a 5v5 team fight initiator, unless you are absolutely CERTAIN that they don't have an Oracle. Still very risky, but its better in few cases.
-Don't get Guinsoo's Rageblade. Akali is not an auto attack champion. All you do is auto attack after your Q move to trigger the AP damage. It's one hit then you're done and out. (May only be good for backdooring towers.)
-Akali is a great 1v1 Champion. Use Shroud efficiently while 1v1. Your Q is your MAIN source of damage. So Q then auto attack your opponent, hide in shroud and wait for Q cooldown, then you Q and autoattack again.
-Tower diving with flash can sometimes have a good outcome, Especially because your Ultimate makes you leap at them. Q your opponent, wait for the Q cooldown, R your opponent, trigger 1st Q Mark, Q your opponent again, trigger 2nd Mark. After that, your opponent should be dead. Don't dive with them being over 50% HP, unless its a squishy Kog'Maw.
-Akali NEEDS her passives for her to be strong. have a minimum of 20 AP through runes for her magic damage passive, and a bare minimum of 10 AD through doran's blade and 3 AD from masteries. Longsword may work if you don't have the minimum 10 AD

What should people want to know, to be good at this champ?
Read this guide about 50 more times, and be best friends with Westrice. Then you'll be HALFWAY there.

#2 5inker

5inker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

Stream more. I LOVE watching you play.

#3 Darkshy

Darkshy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

Lol I like the last part "Read this guide about 50 more times, and be best friends with Westrice. Then you'll be HALFWAY there."

But I started using akali with this rune build and I've been dominating. It's surprisingly good.

#4 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:03 AM

It's nice to see people that we (well I know) are extremely good at the character - making guides.
Posted Image
Have a question? Check out my Request thread. Or perhaps you care to play with me?

"It's good to know your opponents' skills so you can think in their shoes, so you know what they're going to do" - ReginaId
"Caddy you are always TL;DR, stop using so much detail"
Decided to go back to my Retro Sig!

#5 PlasteredBeener

PlasteredBeener

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

can you make irelia build?
(Removed by Caddy - too big)

#6 Udunson

Udunson

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:01 AM

Hmm, What about Guinsoo instead of Hextech?

#7 Muckbeast

Muckbeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

There are some missing offensive mastery points there. Also, why 3 pts in deadliness? The extra 1.33% crit chance on auto attacks is pretty pointless no? I almost wonder if 2 pts in offensive mastery (+4 dmg to minions) is better since it at least helps you farm early.

#8 I Snort Whey

I Snort Whey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hmm, What about Guinsoo instead of Hextech?

He talks about this... just read the guide.

There are some missing offensive mastery points there. Also, why 3 pts in deadliness? The extra 1.33% crit chance on auto attacks is pretty pointless no? I almost wonder if 2 pts in offensive mastery (+4 dmg to minions) is better since it at least helps you farm early.

It's really easy last-hitting with akali already. +4 damage should really never make a difference. Then again, 1.33% crit is going to increase her burst by so little it's also pretty insignificant, but probably less so than minion damage.

Also, the two missing offensive masteries are 2 into Alacrity or 2 into Offensive Mastery (+4 minion damage)... I've seen him use both. I prefer attack speed because I figure it might make the difference in getting in an extra Q activation once every few games.

3/0/0/3
4/2
1/1/3/0
0/0

or

3/0/0/3
4/0
1/1/3/2
0/0

Luv Korean Girls - 2050 elo
Synthony - 2050 elo
I play on Luv now, so add me there (or both)! Looking for a team

#9 Thergood

Thergood

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Awesome guide. Akali really owns the early/mid game with this build.

Just an idea I'm throwing out there. Sometimes (stress the sometimes) I will run AP/lvl glyphs. I know I don't start off with as much burst but it can be awesome for some bating trickery. Q + consume at level 1 or 2 and your opponent thinks they know your approximate damage output. By level 3 or 4 you have a few more AP points and your passive kicks in. This adds up to a pretty significant damage increase, far and above typical damage per level increases of abilities alone. If they're not very closely monitoring this it becomes very easy for them to slip and think they can take you, or at least tank your damage. Too bad for them.

#10 Arragoth

Arragoth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

Westrice is an amazing Akali and I originally modeled my Akali from his. I would open his profile in game and study his builds and rune/masteries.

I have since moved away from his core idealogy. I am at heart a jungler so I do jungle Akali most games I play her. I do only pick her when I see a few targets I know I can pick on, otherwise I go Sion or Xin.

#11 Rudlow

Rudlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hello, nice guide, but I also disagree with few talent points in use. Deadliness 3/3, why? Crit chance for akali is useless, so those 2 points can be used in Offensive mastery (to farm creeps easier at low level) or Alacrity (to activate your Q faster). Of course in this scenario flat AP Quints and Glyphs are a must (dodge works pretty nice aswell). Also u get both of your disciples activated in 1st level, which is really nice (and +10AP from Burning embers). That leads to about 34AP + 13% bonus damage + Ignite damage at 1st level!!! (quite impressive).

edit:// also I start to question Sunder 3/3, is it necessary (cant decide the importance of Alacrity)? Any ideas?

Thats the build Im thinking about now:

1/0/0/3
4/4
1/1/1/2
0/0

#12 Thergood

Thergood

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

Hello, nice guide, but I also disagree with few talent points in use. Deadliness 3/3, why? Crit chance for akali is useless, so those 2 points can be used in Offensive mastery (to farm creeps easier at low level) or Alacrity (to activate your Q faster). Of course in this scenario flat AP Quints and Glyphs are a must (dodge works pretty nice aswell). Also u get both of your disciples activated in 1st level, which is really nice (and +10AP from Burning embers). That leads to about 34AP + 13% bonus damage + Ignite damage at 1st level!!! (quite impressive).

edit:// also I start to question Sunder 3/3, is it necessary (cant decide the importance of Alacrity)? Any ideas?

Thats the build Im thinking about now:

1/0/0/3
4/4
1/1/1/2
0/0

Honestly, there are three important things in the offensive tree when it comes to Akali. 15% magic pen, the AD for Doran's blade passive activation, and the 5% damage increase.

You're not min/maxing armor pen, attack speed, or crit on Akali and since the values you gain from the masteries are so miniscule it pretty much doesn't matter. It's pure preference outside of the things I mentioned above.

4% AS, 3% crit, a few points of armor pen, and hitting minions a tiny bit harder aren't going to turn the outcome of an Akali fight, and if they somehow do then generally you're doing something wrong.

#13 I Snort Whey

I Snort Whey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Awesome guide. Akali really owns the early/mid game with this build.

Just an idea I'm throwing out there. Sometimes (stress the sometimes) I will run AP/lvl glyphs. I know I don't start off with as much burst but it can be awesome for some bating trickery. Q + consume at level 1 or 2 and your opponent thinks they know your approximate damage output. By level 3 or 4 you have a few more AP points and your passive kicks in. This adds up to a pretty significant damage increase, far and above typical damage per level increases of abilities alone. If they're not very closely monitoring this it becomes very easy for them to slip and think they can take you, or at least tank your damage. Too bad for them.

AP/lvl glyphs work really well in normal games and low elo games where you aren't faced with as much harassment. I used to use them, but after playing in 1600-1800 games, I definitely agree with westrice that flat AP for the small boost in your lvls 1-5 game is more important.

Luv Korean Girls - 2050 elo
Synthony - 2050 elo
I play on Luv now, so add me there (or both)! Looking for a team

#14 Thargoid

Thargoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'd like to see what rune setup Westrice uses now with Tome + pot or boots + 3 pots

#15 Thergood

Thergood

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

I'd like to see what rune setup Westrice uses now with Tome + pot or boots + 3 pots

Good question. Haven't had a chance to play her really since the patch.

Is the 10% spellvamp important enough to drop the magic pen runes for flat AD runes?
With boots + 3 pots do you even need it for laning?
If you get through laning without it, is it something you need at all?

The only real use I've had for it was a little extra regeneration in the laning phase. I guess the question would be this -

Does Doran's Blade 3% lifesteal + passive 10% spellvamp give you more healing then the 600 HP you would get from 3 pots between, say, levels 1 to 6?

If it is more healing then you may just want to stick with Doran's blade only. If not, then boots + 3 pots and no spellvamp passive would be the way to go I would guess. Unfortunately, that's pretty damn hard to test. Just a pure guess, I would say that the 3 pots are more total healing, but that could be totally wrong.

#16 Dilatory

Dilatory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

Well the last Westrice stream I watched he used runes/masteries to trigger both passives at l1, and then was boots + hpots. At the moment I've been playing with runes to trigger the first passive (ad) and starting tome + pots to great effect. I am going to soon try Westrice way. It's nice either way as if you think you face super harass, you can start with shield and still have both passives.

#17 Thergood

Thergood

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Well the last Westrice stream I watched he used runes/masteries to trigger both passives at l1, and then was boots + hpots. At the moment I've been playing with runes to trigger the first passive (ad) and starting tome + pots to great effect. I am going to soon try Westrice way. It's nice either way as if you think you face super harass, you can start with shield and still have both passives.

Yea I did what he's doin too. I changed my runes to trigger the AD passive along with the AP passive I've always had. Then I take boots + pots. Doran's shield is an option I guess if you're soloing against ranged AD, but I don't like it. Tome and pot is a good choice, but since I'm already running around with ~24 AP I usually opt for boots.

I've just noticed having boots + pots in a solo lane is almost always better then someone with a doran's item. By level 3 or 4 I can usually force them back to heal while I stay in the lane having popped 1 or 2 pots with 1 or 2 in reserve.

#18 Newbieduck

Newbieduck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:10 AM

Moonflair Spellblade + Sorc Shoes is worth looking into. Granted i'm some super scrub 1479 elo akali player but man it does so much damage. The item slot is debatable, but 22 spell pen akali is so good.

#19 eihn

eihn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:51 AM

So detailed! im definatly going to try akali out after this!
Posted Image

#20 Thergood

Thergood

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Moonflair Spellblade + Sorc Shoes is worth looking into. Granted i'm some super scrub 1479 elo akali player but man it does so much damage. The item slot is debatable, but 22 spell pen akali is so good.

This is something I've been debating over. I've never had any kind of spell pen on Akali except the 15% from masteries and have never had a problem doing enough damage.

I'm not sure yet if the additional gold, loss of item slot, and 10% loss in CC reduction (over mercs) is worth the extra spell pen.

I have to test more with it.