• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Mocca

Mr Mocca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

I usually never go mid cause I only play with my premade and they always play AP champions, like the faggots they are. Recently I stopped playing with them, cause they always play AP champions. ( Seriously all of them would pick mages and I'd be stuck with a tank). So I've been doing some solo queue recently and people there don't pick as much mages so I'd figure I'd give some of them a try.

I played some Anivia mid, it was OK, altough it didn't feel like anything special. I played some Annie, Ryze, Malzahar, Fortune, Corki, you name it. But there was one champion that really caught my eye; Kassadin. This was actually the first champion I've ever bought. I haven't bothered to play him ever since cause back then I sucked terribly at this game, but I tought it was all Kassadin's fault.

Anyway, after playing this bad boy for a few games I started to notice something, mages can't do shit to him. I run in, Silence, run back. Usually I trade the damage with one of their spells, but it's usually in my favour. Now you can keep on doing this untill your opponent is at relatively low, then when you hit level 6, ult in, barf all over him and silence him one final time for an easy kill. But this is not where it stops, I found that when Kassadin has a kill advantage over the other mage, he's basically unbeatable. After this point you can ult in at any given time, silence him, get in some hits and run away for some ridicilous damage output. This will force the other guy to a: Hug their turret or b: Die.

This way Kassadin can get an easy farm up and he happens to be a boss at ganking other lanes, so you can help out those without fear of losing your turret.

I've been experimenting with him a lot, and thus far I've won about 8/10 of my total games with him. Now most of these games were in normal, I've got about 570 wins there. My ranked ELO is around 1350, so that isn't terribly high either.

As you can tell by the text above I'm thinking high of Kassadin, but at the same time I think a proper physical ranged carry could take him down, easily. Corki for example, however I've yet to come across a decent phsyical carry.

Tl;dr
Who is the best solo mid champ and why?

#2 Berdine

Berdine

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

I cant say for sure what "champ" is the best, because there are so many that excel in that position, and it becomes more of a player skill issue. Kassadin at lvl 6 is a beast against another AP as you said with his heavy poking ability, but a well played Ezreal is also amazing, as he is hard to gank, and his poking and finishing ability is very good.

Pantheon is a solomid noob crusher, as is anyone that has a good poke and burst.

Leblanc can be a very tough solo as well, if played right.

#3 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4712 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

I have spent a lot of time talking to my friends about this subject. There is a lot of different definitions that make a great solo lane champion to every player and their specific playstyle. So I won't go to being very specific on what exactly makes the best or the better solo lane, but I will state in my eyes who is the strongest solo lane champion in the game.

I feel it is Malzahar - with no question.

For a mage, he has a phenominal farming potential - gaining more mana back than he payed for a single spell if done right. So he has phenomenal staying power. As you mentioned before he also has a silence which is very deadly against other mages (though I don't get it till later in the game). And he has a pool that does % based damage, which is the best type of damage you could do in game - next to true damage of course. Malzahar also comes with a suppression, meaning your target has no option but to stay there where he wants them too. Meaning people are susceptible to ganks where ever he wants them (granted he can get a good position).

So using the moves of FOUR DIFFERENT DOTS, granted you are carrying ignite (which you should). You have your E (Malefic Visions), your W (Null Zone), your R (Nether Grasp) and an Ignite. These in a combination can drop almost any champion from 70% life to death. So of course there are many other factors that factor into a great solo lane champion.

But in my eye's Malzahar is the best solo lane champion in the game.
Posted Image
Have a question? Check out my Request thread. Or perhaps you care to play with me?

"It's good to know your opponents' skills so you can think in their shoes, so you know what they're going to do" - ReginaId
"Caddy you are always TL;DR, stop using so much detail"
Decided to go back to my Retro Sig!

#4 Berdine

Berdine

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

Malz being one of my mains, i have to agree that OVERALL, Malz is one of the best. You cant push him in, hard to get close to, and if you do, he will make you hurt. Though Kassadin, i have found to be a bit of a counter after level 6. This was solo top mind you, but besides longer distance back to turret, same thing applies.

Took over for a MF who was complaining about Kass and died twice to him. I offered switch, which she accepted. Basically, if i tried moving too close to the creeps, he would ult into range, poke me with his silence/nuke and walk away. This was a very good Kass, he never had a pattern to when he would flash/silence/nuke, so I could never tell when he would be setting up a poke. At this time, he was also hitting very hard.

At best, I can counter with my dot, if i react instantly, and its not the best trade off. You cant respond by ult, due to the silence of his nuke either. I resigned myself to sitting back and taking shots with my Q and waited for my jungler to move in for a gank.

Otherwise, Malz is boss against anyone in a 1 on 1 lane.

#5 Morbid Lynx

Morbid Lynx

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Ima gonna say urgot is the best solo mid champ. As long as you can land the noxious bomb in the face of the opposing mid you can stuck them with 2 Q's for epic dmg early. And this is even b4 level 6! At level six u can swap a heavily damaged opponent to gain extra resistance and finnish him off.

Mid/Late-game is a whole other question though.

#6 Lordgrom

Lordgrom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

I like malphite in mid.
Yes malphite an amazing tank/asskicker
When In mid its so easy for him to stay there haraas with his Q and farm creeps while the other player goes back multiple times.
He is great at getting a kill early on because once you keep your harass up when they drop to lower health you can just ult in smash the ground shaard them and ignite (assuming you brought ignite)
I love him maybe not the greatest mid but a good mid when played right.
Thats no banana!
That's a MANGOOOOO

#7 Trsi

Trsi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Kassadin outplays almost every champion in the LoL on mid. There are few exceptions or you are caught offguard beaten off by malz or some other supress stuff. Urgot is a very very strong pick as Malzahar or Malphite is, with Malphite and mp/5 runes + ignite you have a guaranteed kill at level 6 (including dorans ring). I am tempted to buy malzahar while having mastered kassadin on mid. Really OP stuff imo. MF is also very strong if u can land much of Q's . :)) Sum up all of those to have a line up of best mids :D

#8 Gallerz

Gallerz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Yes i must admit im a huge fan of kassadin.. espcially his burst..

personally malzahar is probably the best solo mid char that i have seen specially because if u ult and W at the right time and even ignite (if u take it) its some insane damage

i personally prefer solo lane kassadin for amazingly easy farm and with a competent jungler/mid laner you can easily pick up kills

Gallerz

#9 Anunaki

Anunaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

AP Malhazar
AD Corki
Posted Image

#10 Dyrus

Dyrus

Elite Member

• Moderators
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

mundo
damn you photobucket

#11 RheA

RheA

BOSS

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

Sivir laughs at any mages mid since they rely so hard on harassing usually with one ability which can be easily shielded almost every time. Uh but wait...there's even more to it...sudden flash / ultimate combo? I don't think so...uh oh and what happened to 40% of your health now you just moved in to her to harass? Booom BB in da face! I'd say similar for Morgana as well who can make anyone's sorry ass hurt from daring to touch her. Or even ashe...volley crit combo is uaually a good tradeoff for most single spells mages harass with early levels. Thoughts are for 2 opposing players of similar skill who have got the timing / countering for the skills of their champion and opposing one.
From all mages however Malzahar is the toughest to counter since he can keep anyone at bay from safe range with maleffic visions, silence and nullzone + his ultimate combo which is too predictable though to be landed on good players (same as annie's ulti combo).
As a sidenote I haven't tried it yet but in my games with GP never faced Malzahar - I was wondering if you kill an ally minion while he has the maleffic visions on him whether it would jump over onto another minion or not; if it doesn't, indeed that would be a great way to dent malzahar's farming / harassing.
Posted Image

#12 Caddy

Caddy

• Members
  • 4712 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:21 AM

Sivir is a great mid lane champion because yes she does have defensive capabilities and a good nuke once she is past 6; otherwise the damage is pretty minimal. But she is a good farmer; and not even that good at low level. Her spell shield is nearly a 20 second cooldown, and though good for eating a harass - it holds no bars against any legimate caster because their cooldowns are no greater usually than 10-15 seconds.

So in essence, yes Sivir is a good solo lane champion - she does not hold up to the others that might hold the title. And as for Mundo - he can't CS well -because he is melee, and his cleaver is aite, but you can miss it or not be able to hit it.
Posted Image
Have a question? Check out my Request thread. Or perhaps you care to play with me?

"It's good to know your opponents' skills so you can think in their shoes, so you know what they're going to do" - ReginaId
"Caddy you are always TL;DR, stop using so much detail"
Decided to go back to my Retro Sig!

#13 Leer

Leer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

What about a really good Ashe?
If she levels up her E and gets 5 gold for each kill at level 5?
Her slow abilities are pretty good escape options vs a solo champion, not that easy vs a gank though.

#14 Spiegelmann

Spiegelmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:06 AM

If we're talking about outlaning potential it'd probably be malz.

Or mundo. Mundo is ridiculous vs the array of squishies sent to mid and his dps is insane by late game.
Posted Image

#15 aerobassist

aerobassist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

as a kass player i love ashes mid cause they die really really fast

#16 RheA

RheA

BOSS

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:35 AM

Leveling up E doesn't make too much sense because you can get the gold from last hitting well vs sacrificing Q and W which are far more important to get a kill (and much more gold than gained from maxing E first).
Posted Image

#17 RheA

RheA

BOSS

• Members
  • 1549 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

Ashe might not be the best counter for Kassadin but a tankish / regen champ like Gragas / Chogath / Mordekaiser can pretty much wreck and outpush Kassadins.
Posted Image

#18 Trsi

Trsi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

Akali is more or less counter depending on your skill level of kassadin. Good kass's wreck akalis but bad kass are just outdone by them. grammar fail I guess but you get my point. Ezreal is decent mid aswell, very decent I'd say I had great results with him.

#19 Morbid Lynx

Morbid Lynx

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

What about a really good Ashe?
If she levels up her E and gets 5 gold for each kill at level 5?
Her slow abilities are pretty good escape options vs a solo champion, not that easy vs a gank though.

I always lvl it to three. W -> E -> E-> Q -> E -> R, then it's just W and Q to tha max. the three extra gold can get you that b.f. approx. one or two waves before it would have otherwise. Which gives and early midgame edgde.

#20 captivate

captivate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

The hardest type of champs to play against as kassadin are people who are...

1. Beefy on hp/tanky
2. Physical damage

What happens if you silence an AD ranged champ? They just auto attack you, which is where all their damage comes from anyway.

High hp characters are also difficult to deal with because burst champions are all about crushing people in very few bursts. High hp/tanky mr characters are almost impossible to kill as kass.