9 replies to this topic

#1 nqVic

nqVic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hello,

First of all I want to start with the fact that i am not a very experienced LoL player. I have recently made the transition from dota/hon, and even mroe recently climbed to lvl 30 to play ranked games. Anyway, let's get to the point:

I always try to play solo, because that gives me the best chance to influence the game and eventually carry my team. My favorite champion is Vladimir and so far i haven't had much trouble against any other champion. But lately since I have been climbing pretty fast in ELO I started playing against some quite good Malzahar players and I am having a really tough time. They can simply spellfarm the creeps and push them to my tower, which despite my best efforts costs me some CS and tower health. The best case scenario I play super defensively and end up a bit behind, but then at around level 6 it gets really scary again and until I get level 9 I am in constant fear of getting owned.

First of all if you guys were to go mid with vladimir against malzahar, what items would you start on? So far I have been going with boots + 3 pots to allow me some extra mobility, but maybe something else is better?
Second - how can I keep him away from my turret? By the time I get high enough level to be able to spam Tides of Blood I feel like the turret takes way too much damage.

The other champion I have been concentration on lately is Ryze. I have yet to play ryze vs good malz mid, but I feel like he can have a similar problem.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers,
vic

#2 fnacke

fnacke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

I wouldnt really change any building order if you meet some specific champ in middle with vlad, just shield or regrowth.
Lux is a good midhero since his longrange spells. I don't really have much more to say than that. GL with climbing the elo

#3 aidama

aidama

Momdama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

The best case scenario I play super defensively and end up a bit behind, but then at around level 6 it gets really scary again and until I get level 9 I am in constant fear of getting owned.

Vlad is a pretty weak hero sub level 9. The enemy WANTS to harass you and push the creeps to your tower to reduce your farm and make you weak! So what you've said here is the best thing you can do. You just want last hit as much as possible - even if you miss some CS it's really important to not die. Your jungler should help you keep pressure on Malz.

I think boots and 3 pots is fine for starting items.

#4 led2000

led2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

Vlad is a pretty weak hero sub level 9. The enemy WANTS to harass you and push the creeps to your tower to reduce your farm and make you weak! So what you've said here is the best thing you can do. You just want last hit as much as possible - even if you miss some CS it's really important to not die. Your jungler should help you keep pressure on Malz.

I think boots and 3 pots is fine for starting items.

I agree with this, though I don't play vlad. Nevertheless I would keep w up after 6, so you can pop it when he drops his pit. This will prevent him chaining into his ult, weakening it severely.

#5 aidama

aidama

Momdama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:14 AM

I agree with this, though I don't play vlad. Nevertheless I would keep w up after 6, so you can pop it when he drops his pit. This will prevent him chaining into his ult, weakening it severely.

As a side note, if they're NOT harassing you, then there are two options:
one: they're bad - destroy them!
two: someone is hiding in the bushes. :<

#6 delir

delir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Vlad is weak pre level 9 and it's an easy kill usually for Malzahar. Try to last hit as much a possible from a safe distance. I usually spam Malefic Visions on the enemy champion whenever I can in order to weaken them so avoid at all cost to stay in the cast range on Malzahar's E. Avoid the silence. It will prevent you from healing with Transfusion. You can't do much to a good Malzahar but your jungler can. Malzahar has no escape mechanism except Flash/Ghost. Ask your jungler to gank mid and maybe you can get a kill or if not, you will burn his Flash.
Can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter".
My (approved) Malzahar Guide -> http://www.solomid.n...uides.php?g=405

#7 Arxon Havenloft

Arxon Havenloft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

The best Vlads that I come across as Malz use Transfusion as much as possible to harass. This makes it harder for me to focus on transferring my visions from one creep to the next. When this happens, mana can become an issue for me. Even if I can dot you while you transfuse me, you lose little hp, I lose more than I'd like to, and you successfully slow my farm. I'm not saying that this will keep you from losing your lane, but it is your best approach. Also, if you see null zone, get out.. Ult is next.

#8 Kyt Callinae

Kyt Callinae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

The best Vlads that I come across as Malz use Transfusion as much as possible to harass. This makes it harder for me to focus on transferring my visions from one creep to the next. When this happens, mana can become an issue for me. Even if I can dot you while you transfuse me, you lose little hp, I lose more than I'd like to, and you successfully slow my farm. I'm not saying that this will keep you from losing your lane, but it is your best approach. Also, if you see null zone, get out.. Ult is next.

I play malzahar mid a -lot- and one of the most annoying things a vlad can do 1-3 is stand next to the minion you dot. Force the dot to jump to yourself and transfuse/pot heal it. Malific visions has a fairly high mana cost as compared to malz's base mana pool, so at low levels you'll usually win out in the long run if you soak the dot before it jumps anywhere else. You mana starve malz and that's a bad place to be vs a champion with essentially a limitless harass.

#9 Ginko

Ginko

BOSS

• Members
  • 6534 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

I play malzahar mid a -lot- and one of the most annoying things a vlad can do 1-3 is stand next to the minion you dot. Force the dot to jump to yourself and transfuse/pot heal it. Malific visions has a fairly high mana cost as compared to malz's base mana pool, so at low levels you'll usually win out in the long run if you soak the dot before it jumps anywhere else. You mana starve malz and that's a bad place to be vs a champion with essentially a limitless harass.

Thats why i run mana regen per lvl in runes.
"ELO is a measure of progress, not skill"

Posted Image

#10 Exeneva

Exeneva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

In a ranked game, where you will have a solo top and mid due to a jungler on your team, try to take top instead of mid as vlad. It's unconventional, but I play both vlad and malz and Malzahar is THE Vladimir counter.

If you play safe, you should be able to play against a Malzahar mid, but it will be hard. In a ranked game, where elo is on the line, don't be afraid to ask for the lane change - I've done it a few times before when I pick vlad and then they pick Malz, and trust me, I have not lost a single ranked game where I have done that.

As someone coming from DotA/HoN, you may not know the difference between good and bad lane matchups in LoL quite yet, but you probably already know how important it is to have good lane pairings.

Now obviously if your solo top is someone like Singed, you don't ask for the lane change. Instead, tell your jungler that you're getting pushed back as mid (assuming your jungler doesn't naturally notice this) and to do a "pass through mid."