Jungle Udyr

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

So, getting tired of the normal laning Udyr, I decided to try out a Jungle Udyr. Starting straight from the get go in the Jungle.

I like it.

A lot.

When Playing Udyr, I find that now his Early game is a bit off with not a lot of Mana steal from Turtle, and is easier to harass and such. I also find that Udyr REALLY shines mid-late game.

Jungling makes this A LOT easier. The only downfall is having to get smite and rally as spells, with isn't that bad when you think about it. Rally has allowed me to get plenty of kills in teamfights and everything.

A level 2 you can solo golem, at level 5 you can solo dragon, no sweat.

I want to hear other Udyr players opinions on this. Since I have been jungling, I have seen a HUGE improvement in my game play with Udyr. I level quicker, gain gold easier, and even get ganks in here and there.

Because of the need to get madreds Razors in jungling, I have found myself going ahead and getting Madreds Bloodrazers on Udyr, is this a good idea?

Right now this is what I have been doing with Jungling.

Start with Vampiric Sceptar
madreds Razor
Boots of Mobility
Malady
Sheen
Recurve Bow
Triforce
madreds Bloodrazer

then it depends on whatever from there. I don't think I can go back to a lanning Udyr after seeing how well thisworks out for me!

Thoughts? Comments?
"Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.
Through Passion I gain Strength.
Through Strength I gain Power.
Through Power I gain Victory.
Through Victory my Chains are broken.
The Force shall set you free.."
Posted Image

#2 Unifizz

Unifizz

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

My friend mained Udyr for 2-3weeks.
He soloed mid with him (this was before his nerf) and he got pretty much those same items.
Different order, but still.

He was amazing with Udyr, so good job and have fun with him!
Posted Image

#3 Sanji Watsuki

Sanji Watsuki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:29 AM

Out of curiosity, does this still work even with the nerfed TR Udyr?

#4 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

The only reason I WENT to the Jungle was because of the nerf. Post-Nerf it's easier to Jungle with him than to lane. Before the nerf I solo'd middle, and even do sometimes still post-nerf.

I've been running Udyr a lot since he came out, but I just wanted some speculation on a Jungle version of him.
Posted Image

#5 Sunrah

Sunrah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

I have been running a jungle Udyr for the last few days in mid level solo pubs, and I have had good success. I start out buying agility elixer and 5 healing potions. Summoner spells are Smite and Celerity. First skill is Phoenix. Go to area next to golem. Wait for first jungle creep. As soon as they appear, pop elixer, hit phoenix twice kill those creeps. Pop first health potion. Go around corner, hit phoenix and smite on golem, phoenix again, another health potion, clarity then phoenix until golem is dead. Then take turtle. Go kill the wraiths and the other ones on the other side of the lizard. Then smite will be up. Go get lizard buff. At this point you will be level 4 with 2 turtle and 2 phoenix. b back to base, buy vamp sceptor and one more health potion if you do not have any left. Run straight to dragon and kill it with golem, lizard, and elixer all still active. Usually after that I take bear and try to score an early gank.

Of course this only works against mid level teams that do not stop you from jungling, and seems to work a little easier on blue side then purple side, but I am not sure why. As long as the rest of the team is not dieing you will level as fast as the solo lanes. Down sides to this method is that you absolutely need golem buff until level 10-11, and sometimes other team mates get crabby. You also need to try to steal it from opponent jungle whenever possible. I always ask if anyone minds if I solo jungle before start, and if someone minds, then I do not do it. Masteries are debatable. I currently run 16/0/14, but 21/9/0 seemed to work as well. Mostly health and dodge runes.

I would be open to trying other strategies if anyone has them.

edit: fixed typos

#6 mehacton

mehacton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:37 AM

I think some discussion on this idea needs to be restarted, I'm now a convert to the jungling Udyr concept.

I've been realizing how comparatively weak Madred's Razor is late-game, but also how insanely difficult it is to transition to Bloodrazor - Udyr's immediate needs seem to lie in other directions (namely Trinity Force) so I'm not entirely sure how to resolve this problem.

One possible solution I've been toying with revolves around dropping Malady - while I think some sort of regen is vital to Udyr's early success (turtle certainly isn't enough on its own) I don't think VampScep is it, simply because Udyr's base damage is too low to really make good use of it - more specifically it's too low in the beginning of the game, once Udyr hits level 4 or so it's a moot point since Phoenix Stance is powerful enough to drop creep spawns.

I suggest this build for further experimentation:

start> Cloth Armor + health potions (immediate goal: farm Madred's Razor)
Boots of Speed (to help with general travelling)
Phage (health boost and potential slow)
Sheen (killing power and mana increase)
Boots of Mobility (Udyr can't walk 55)
Giant's Belt (health gain)
Trinity Force (game usually ends here)
Frozen Mallet (health, damage and slow)

I'm still monkeying around with the idea of a Sunfire Cape on Udyr.

~ Mehacton

#7 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

Trinity Force and Frozen Mallet are not needed together.

I also play Jungle Udyr a lot different now, and just Udyr in general. Because of his abilities he doesn't need a lot of damage, more so attack speed. Malady is a cheap and very effective attack speed item, and the life steal is amazing. Udyr is one of the few champs that can go from 100 health to full health in 1 or 2 jungle camps.

I also have move speed quints, so I can get berserker greaves instead of mobility.
Posted Image

#8 PandaPanda

PandaPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:32 AM

What mastery setup/Summoner spells do you run for jungling? I'm wondering if smite speeds it up significantly as it does with Warwick?

#9 Natu Utan

Natu Utan

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:02 AM

Smite makes it a lot easier and safer, but it not needed if done right with Udyr.
Posted Image