• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 W!m

W!m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hello everyone, im hitting 30 soon and i really want to start playing ranked.
I was wondering if there are certain unwritten rules about ranked that i should know about :)
I'm not a total newbie on knowing what to pick and such but some of the more non predictable rules would help!

Thanks for helping!

Wim

#2 Dilatory

Dilatory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Don't play ranked as soon as you hit level 30 would be my biggest advice.

Build up a pool of champions you're really confident with, have runes for them, play a lot of normals, be the best damn last hitter at your ELO. Know enough to be flexible.

You'll do yourself no favours by jumping straight into ranked imo.

That said, if you're going to insist, I suggest you get decent at some tanky / jungle champs. People are always hesitant to tank/jungle at lower ELO. Udyr can still wreck faces, jungle Amumu always good. Talk to your team during bans, try and establish what people will be playing. Don't pick a champ you can't play just beacause someone told you to pick it.

Finally, try not to be negative. Games at lower ELO are never lost at picking. You can always turn a game around, even when they are down to your nexus turrets. All it takes is one ace. Don't rage at your team, and ignore people who rage at you. Buy a ward whenever you back. Don't be afraid to ask lanes to switch. Remember that you will lose games and sometimes it will be your fault. Learn from them.

#3 W!m

W!m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

Hey thanks for the advice, i already have decent champs that i can play pretty well. I got Udyr and Trundle for jungling, Trundle being my best jungler and for tanky characters i only have Jarvan atm that's the best tanky character i can play with. I'm starting to get good at Shen to though, i find him more usefull then Jarvan because of his mobility and life-saving ult. And if i want dps i usually pick vladimir, i just started building up my runes for Vlad, my book isn't fully finished though. I was thinking of starting on runes for jungling but not sure which ones to pick as Udyr and Trundle are a lot different in terms of runes i guess.. Any advice? I'd prefer starting on Udyr runes first.

Thanks!

#4 cmb3

cmb3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

I would strongly suggest finishing your rune pages before playing ranked. For Udyr(and general junglers), I would get armor pen reds, armor yellows, and magic resist/lvl blues. Hp quints are always good for any champion as well. I am speaking from experience. I jumped straight into ranked at 30 and quickly fell below 1000ELO (ELO HELL DOES EXIST). I tried to raise it for a long time, and I ended up just making a new account (now 1350 ELO). A good rule is to know how to play a few champions from each class.

AD Carry-Corki, Ashe, Vayne
AP Caster-Vlad, TF
Tank-Shen, Cho
Support- Taric, Janna
Jungler- Udyr, Noc, Trundle

These are commonly picked champions in ranked games.

#5 Redfrags

Redfrags

King of Games

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

Start with premades.

Then work with Solos.

I guarantee you'll gain a lot more Elo/experience that way.
Posted Image

~I am the first of Many~

#6 cmb3

cmb3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Yea finding a duo queue parter would help a ton as well

#7 Yumese

Yumese

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Definitely wait until you have at least 2 finished rune pages, one for a jungler (either Trundle or Udyr) and one for Vlad. If you make a rune page for Trundle you can use that for Jarvan as well. The best Trundle runes for jungling are armor pen reds, flat armor yellows, magic resist per level blues, and armor pen quints. Use 1/19/10 masteries and start vamp scepter. Skill order Q/W/Q/E always be sure to use Q directly after an auto attack so that you don't lose your attack animation. You should start at blue, and make your way through a normal path in the jungle (blue, wolves, wraiths, red, golems) you should end up with 1/2-3/4 hp and you can gank right after that. As far as Udyr jungle page you would want 8 attack speed reds, 1 armor pen red, flat armor yellows, magic resist per level blues, and armor pen quints. I run 1/19/10 masteries on him, but you can also do 1/21/8, 1/20/9. Skill order would be Q/W/Q/E or Q/W/W/E whichever you prefer. You are going to want to start each camp with Q then switch to W to keep your health very high. Normal jungle path just like Trundle's. You can either be a full health after double golems or around 3/4 hp after double golems. You can make it full health by spamming W in order to regen your hp, but it's going to be slower than spamming Q to deal more damage, so it's up to you. Going to want to start with cloth armor and 5 hp pots. As far as runes for Vlad you are going to want magic pen reds, health per level seals, flat CDR blues, and Quints can either be flat AP, flat HP, scaling AP, or scaling hp it's up to you. Don't feel as though I need to go into how to play Vlad. As far as runes for Jarvan, you can either use the runes for Trundle, or swap out the armor pen quints for flat hp, or movement speed.

Definitely don't want to start ranked immediately. I did that and didn't realize that leaving during champ select counter as a loss and lowered your ELO until I had 14 leaves. So you are definitely going to want to be careful with that. Duo que is the best way to have a very high chance of winning a ranked game. Playing fully arranged normal games can also help you because you will be facing a fully arranged 5s team meaning both of your teams are going to be communicating, and it's going to make the game much more difficult. If you can learn (and play) Jarvan, Trundle, Udyr, Vlad, and Shen well along with runes to support them you should be good to play ranked. As said before by some people, lower ELO is scared to jungle and most don't tank. Shen will probably be banned every game, but you will just about never see a Trundle, Udyr, or Jarvan ban.

#8 W!m

W!m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

K thx for all the support :) I'll try and finish my rune pages first and keep practising the champs i'll stick to on ranked!

#9 TandemX

TandemX

Uber Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Ask yourself this, are you carrying normal games?

If Yes you are ready for Ranked, if No, then well expect a win:loss ratio of 1:7 waiting for someone else to carry you.
Posted Image
The company making the game, Double Cluepon

#10 Drekor

Drekor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

I hit 30 and jumped right in. I'd really recommend just grabbing a full rune page and doing the same, ranked so far for me has been easier than normal. The only thing I'd point out is not to play gimmicky champs, pick something that is consistently powerful(and isn't banned/picked all the time).

#11 Benefits

Benefits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Don't play ranked as soon as you hit level 30 would be my biggest advice.

Build up a pool of champions you're really confident with, have runes for them, play a lot of normals, be the best damn last hitter at your ELO. Know enough to be flexible.

You'll do yourself no favours by jumping straight into ranked imo.

Quoted since this is the best advice I can give. I jumped straight into ranked and plummeted to 700 elo pretty fast. I've learned a lot in my climb back to 1200 elo but in retrospect there was nothing I couldn't have learned in normals.

You definitely want lots of runes and solid pages (buy the 7 page rune back, it's a necessity). Learn to play a tank, and AD carry, an AP carry, and a jungle inside and out. I know this advice comes up a lot but it's essential. You won't believe the amount of idiots who's only options are insta-lock 1-2 champs. Communicate well; it does you no good if you FP a good AD carry if no one else on your team knows how to tank well (which at 1200 elo will happen... a lot).

Oh, and when I talked about learning team roles it's probably best to learn one that won't get banned at low elo. At 1200 elo there are only 5-6 champs that get banned on a regular basis: Rammus, Amumu, Shen, Malphite, and Nocturne. You'll need to be able to play a tank that doesn't get instabanned every game (I'd recommend Singed or CHo'Gath). For junglers I'd recommend Olaf, WW, or Nunu. Eventually you'll need to learn more than one champion of every 'type' but when you first start out it's more important to have any jungler than say, the jungler that synergizes most effectively with your team comp.

Edit: Oh and read the featured Solomid guides, even if they are for champs you don't usually play. It'll help a lot in general game understanding (you'll at least have an idea of what enemy champs are trying to accomplish). Vlad, Jarvan, and Trundle/Udyr are solid picks for the respective roles, but you really should have a good AD carry as well (like Corki or Ashe).

#12 Harmless

Harmless

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

Hey thanks for the advice, i already have decent champs that i can play pretty well.

Everyone says that. I'm sorry, but unless you're Chu II, no, you don't. You may think you do, and then you end up solo laning mid against someone with 500 wins/1000 normal games played, while you're playing a champ and role you're not comfortable with. It will not end well.

Be the guy with three times the amount of games played than anyone at your Elo range, and you can stomp your way up the ladder. Don't be the guy with ~200 games played total that everyone ****s on while climbing.
Posted Image

#13 HughMyronbrough

HughMyronbrough

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

I have a thread giving advice on the proper mindsets to have in order to get out of Low Elo, which got me from 1100 to 1500+ despite that I'm horrible at this game. I didnt want to give any gameplay advice, since you should get that from High Elo players, not me.

#14 D1eoX

D1eoX

Doer of Barrel Rolls

• Members
  • 3107 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

I have a thread giving advice on the proper mindsets to have in order to get out of Low Elo, which got me from 1100 to 1500+ despite that I'm horrible at this game. I didnt want to give any gameplay advice, since you should get that from High Elo players, not me.

I read the post this guy made on the official forums. It is now saved to my favorites, that's how good it was. Of course I don't know what saving it to my favorites does... I have random Reddit shit in there too :blink:
95x546.jpg

I got MPTS

What happens when you combine The Rain Man and The Odd One? You get The Odd Man... a beast that can play jungle teemo and have ganked top, mid, and bot and gotten four assist and one kill before the clock strikes five minutes. And in every single gank he tanks the tower himself.

#15 TheTrueYako

TheTrueYako

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

I read the post this guy made on the official forums. It is now saved to my favorites, that's how good it was. Of course I don't know what saving it to my favorites does... I have random Reddit shit in there too :blink:

Could you guys post the link. I got to 30 recently and am interested in this discussion. Thank you!

#16 EyeMtheStron9est

EyeMtheStron9est

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:50 AM

Could you guys post the link. I got to 30 recently and am interested in this discussion. Thank you!

You should play well enough with one character of each roll. Then you can ranked. It's even better if you have a second option in case of bans/counterpick/taken.

The one exception is if you play people no one uses. Then you are golden.
http://www.own3d.tv/live/37961
CAUTION !!
Posted Image