My favorite champions have always been poke-heavy mids: AP Corki, AP Kog'maw, pre-rework Nidalee, Jayce, etc. As a general rule, this type of champion is incredibly strong in solo queue due to a lack of coordination on the other team. You may know me from my Solomid guide on AP Corki, which was sadly nerfed from its OP state. As a result, I've switched back to maining AP Kog'maw.
Overall, I have approximately 250 AP Kog'maw games played with an estimated winrate of at least 70%. The AP itemization rework of patch 5.13 greatly favored AP Kog, particularly via buffs to Rylai's and Liandry's. Since patch 5.13, I am on a 11-1 run with Kog'maw. My ranked stats are also shown below.
AP Kog'maw is quite possibly the most extreme champion in League of Legends (extreme, not overpowered). A lategame AP Kog is one of the strongest hypercarries, and can deal his damage from nearly an entire screen away (2200 range). I'm not exaggerating when I say that I almost always do the most damage to champions in the game, and quite often deal double the second highest value. On four recorded occasions, two since patch 5.13, I've dealt more damage than the rest of my team put together:
In competitive play, this feat is not particularly rare. When an organized team groups around an AP Kog'maw, ludicrous amounts of damage will be dealt. Look no further than Bjergsen's last two Kog games in the gameplay section later in the guide.
- Best champion in the game at level 16 powerspike
- Longest range and most damaging poke in the game
- Extremely strong sustained AoE DPS
- Decently good burst with E-R combo
- Instant long range waveclear at level 9- safe farmer, and best turtler in the game (comparable to Ziggs)
- Can singlehandedly carry games after ~25-35 minutes
- Can engage and disengage from long range after Rylai's purchase
- Tank killer: sustained DPS with W and R, % health damage on W and Liandry's, Penetration on Q and Boots/Liandry's/Void
- Lion Dance skin is awesome
- Weak early laning phase and map pressure
- Assassins can crush you in lane and snowball
- Relatively long ramp-up time
- Squishy with no escapes - mitigated by Flash/Ghost
- Hurt by blue buff denial
- Skillshot reliant- inconsistent damage and difficult to play