Let's look at the HP items in the game, shall we?
- Small amount of HP, lots of other stats, and it makes your entire team tankier. Someone on your team should have this item. In and of itself, it's really not that bad for tankiness, but it only gives a bit of extra HP to you, the driving force of the team, so get a top lane or support to build it if you can.
- Some HP, some mana, a ton of resist, and a spell-blocking shield. This is a good item, but it's not a good fit for most junglers, but it can work. If you intend to be a full-tank and you don't have any healing steroids, Banshee is a good alternative to Spirit Visage for resist.
- Now we're talkin. This is a wonderful item that gives you tons of hp HP, a little damage, and the all-important peel. It's not my first choice for an item because it's so expensive and gives no survivability outside the HP, but it's ok if you are going for more of a bruiser than a full-tank.
- No, it's not a fully upgraded item, but I am going to list it. Its price is now down to 1k gold, which makes it extremely affordable for the average jungler. Not only that, it builds into a lot of really wonderful items, all of which are useful on some jungling champ or another.
- Ehh, more for the AP champions, but I wouldn't discount it. It's a nice thing to have for Fiddlesticks or Diana, but not much of a jungler champ.
- u mad bro?
- Great, great item that gives 500 hp, 70 armor, and a slow every time you get hit. They want to shred you with cleaver? K, have fun hitting slower and being an easy target. Oh, and the active. USE IT. It's wonderful.
- Decently ok if you're going for the tanky-AP Amumu or Maokai, but it's not really a 'tank' item per se, so I avoid it.
- This is a fun item. It's an AOE Frozen Mallet for champions more focused on their abilities than their auto-attacks. Cho'gath and Volibear put this to great use.
- Not as useful as it used to be, sadly. Still a good pick, but better left to supports.
- CORE ITEM ALERT. CORE ITEM ALERT. YOU ALMOST ALWAYS WANT TO BUILD THIS ON AN HP TANK. Notable exception: Hecarim. This item gives you regen/mana regen, lots of HP, and TENACITY. This means YOU DON'T NEED TO BUILD MERC TREADS.
- CORE ITEM ALERT. Spirit Visage only gives 200hp, BUT it gives other stats you need. The 50 MR means you won't need to build any more MR items unless you're vs a really fed AP carry. The CDR is also nice, but most important is the fact that all healing effects are 20% more useful. That 30% heal on Volibear is now 36%. 60% heal on Mundo is now 72%. You get the point. This enhances your effective HP a huge, huge amount. So basically, the more HP you heal, the more HP this item is worth.
- For the HP tank who's always in the middle of a fight (read: for every HP tank ever in the history of the world). There are other items that are better, but if you just want HP, armor, and extra damage, it's solid.
- A little HP, but this item is mostly about damage. If you are tanky enough that you can survive five people attacking you for a good ten seconds or so, Trinity is ok, but it's just so expensive...it often leaves you feeling far too squishy to make effective use of its damage. Better for top lanes.
- The mother of all HP items. For champs like Mundo with extra regen, it's amazing. Not only that, it synergizes with Spirit Visage, which will increase your HP regen by 20%. So 1.5 becomes 1.8%hp per second. The down-side to this item is it gives you no armor or resist, so it's just pure fluff if you don't already have those stats.
- A good last item if you're already tanky enough to survive the apocalypse. It increases the overall damage of your team by a lot, and if you're an auto-attacker it gives you a bit more HP by vamp.