In this detailed, possibly tl;dr
section, I will expound upon what to expect from various enemy laners and what you should do in the early game to roll them as Ryze. You may want to skip ahead to the mid game and late game sections
and then come back if you want tips vs. specific champions.
Generally, there are a few main categories, and each enemy laner may fit into one or more of the categories:
- The Punching Bag: This laner lacks a strong poke and/or will be punished heavily by you if they try to use it. This doesn't mean they aren't dangerous, just that they're at a disadvantage as long as you play smart.
- The Skillshotter: This laner has a straight line skillshot that cannot go through minions. Try to keep a (healthy) minion between yourself and the enemy laner so you can approach to harass them with relative impunity. Examples include Ezreal and Morgana. To summarize, stay near your minions.
- The AOEist: This laner has an AOE ability that can be useful for farming minions and harassing you at the same time. Solution: try to stay away from your minions somewhat so they have to choose one or the other. Examples include Morgana and Mordekaiser.
- The Sustainer: This laner has a lot of sustain, and your goal is to keep the pressure on them such that they still feel unsafe, but without running out of mana. You should be using your mana almost entirely on harassing them. Try to stick to Q (which is what you should be leveling) for optimal mana usage, but also throw in a burst combo or two if you need to outdamage their sustain. Just watch that mana meter -- remember, the moment you run out of mana, you are powerless. You need about 250 mana to do your burst combo. Often, it will come down to a successful gank and/or a decisive execute combo (see Combos section) -- if they live through that and manage to stay in lane with their sustain, you will probably have to give up and recall. This shouldn't be too much of an issue once you get a Catalyst or Tear, though. Some examples of Sustainers are Vlad and Warwick.
- The Pusher: This laner loves to push your lane like crazy so you lose gold to your tower and so they can go off to gank some other lane. Make sure to call MIAs, try to push back using your autoattacks and Spell Flux (E), and ask your jungler for ganks when they're overextended. Also, use your burst combo on them when you get a good chance to drive them off -- the best time is if they've just blown their cooldowns on pushing the minion wave. Examples include Morgana and, sometimes, Malzhurr.
- The Butterfly: This laner loves to annoy the heck out of you while staying out of your harass range. Usually this involves the use of some sort of skillshot. Try to dodge their skillshots (learn how to sidestep) and then, during the window when their skillshot is on cooldown, harass or zone them. Examples include Ziggs and Lux. Cass is an especially dangerous example.
- The Bee: This laner does TONS OF DAMAGE even without a Trinity Force and possibly also has scary CC. Try not to get hit too much and call MIAs if they leave lane. Wait until you can farm up a Catalyst and Negatron as your first two items (assuming they do magical damage; if physical then get a Chainmail instead, though I can't think of an applicable AD champion at the moment). Then go ahead and face them head on. You should come out ahead, as long as they haven't fed off you or other lanes. Examples include Leblanc and, at least prior to his nerfs, Brand.
And now, individual champion pointers:
: Part Sustainer, part Bee. Try not to get caught by her Orb or especially her Charm, and play conservatively once she hits 6. Try to keep track of her passive charges and Ignite her before she can use it if you're going for the kill.
: Bee if her stun lands too often, Pusher once she hits 6 (especially with blue buff). If you can avoid her slow-moving stun (sidestep), you should be good to go. Don't dive her under her turret; forcing her rebirth isn't THAT useful.
: Butterfly, Skillshotter (Q), AOEist (W). If he misses a Pillar that was aimed at you, harass/zone him. Careful of his full combo when he hits 6.
: Butterfly --> Punching Bag. At first, her attacks and Q's will be deadly and the traps will zone you out. As you gain a few levels and thus gain some armor and ranks in your spells, you should be able to outtrade the hell out of her.
: Butterfly. She is very dangerous because her Q is on such a short cooldown, so you have almost no time window with which to punish her for missing a Q. If you get hit, don't try to attack her unless you want multiple Twin Fangs to the face and another Q. You will likely want to grab an early Negatron (after Catalyst) against her.
: Dark Wind is annoying, but Drain is worse. Don't get too close unless you're going for the kill and you've Ignited him so he can't get back all his health all of a sudden.
: You'll need to change up your harassment methods a bit against him. If you lead with
Overload (Q), he can simply Playful/Trickster to completely avoid it, and if he lands his R and full combo, you could be in real trouble. Instead, lead with
Rune Prison (W); he can't use Playful/Trickster while snared.
: Pusher, Butterfly. Kill his turrets with autoattacks for the bonus gold when you can. Harass with Q, and don't be too afraid to dive his turrets for a kill; they die when he does. But be aware that he can use R to fully heal them and add a slowing effect to their attacks for some time, which can be deadly for you if you were expecting to catch up to him to finish him off.
: Try to harass and possibly combo her but don't overstay your welcome; being hit by Q and then multiple E autoattacks is not a good idea.
: Skillshotter. If you get hit by a Mark, try to stay out of range until it wears off. Don't get chainstunned or you will die.
: Be very careful about committing to a fight. It's tough to run away from him due to huge range on W and R and his slow, and he does a lot of damage. If you are standing next to him, you better be sure he will be the one that will want to run away, or else you are probably dead.
: Bee. Avoid her combo until you get Catalyst/Negatron, unless you like dying.
: Butterfly, AOEist. Avoid her slow and especially her snare, then zone/harass her while they're on cooldown. Don't let her proc her passive without eating a spell to the face.
: Pusher, AOEist, Bee (once he hits 6). Try not to let his Void STDs pass from your minions to you (don't stand next to a minion with it when they're about to die), don't stand in his pool, avoid his silence, and don't challenge him to a duel until you have Catalyst/Negatron. If you are standing in his pool, suppressed, without survivability items, you are in trouble. If he ends up getting fed, consider a QSS to stop his ult.
: Sustainer, AOEist. Pretty much just don't let him Siphoning Strike you and your minions at the same time. You may need to focus on comboing him so you can take out his shield and actually deal him health damage. Consider a QSS to cancel his ult if he gets fed.
: Pusher, AOEist, Skillshotter, part Sustainer. Don't get snared and don't stand in her AOE. Other than her pushing ability, which far surpasses yours, you should do better than most AP mids against her, though.
: Skillshotter, Sustainer. Damaging her is rather hard due to her heal. Don't underestimate her cougar abilities, either. (I mean her ultimate, in case you had the wrong idea.)
: Presumably you read this guide and he didn't, so you will come out on top. This is especially true if he has silly runes like mana per level in every slot or if he's unclear as to how to combo effectively. If he is also a PROfessor, then this will be an epic battle of the gods -- good luck.
: Be very careful if he has his shield up: if he stuns you he will be able to land the shield explosion. If he tries to stun first before using the shield, you might be able to burst him through his shield before he can explode it, canceling it, dealing him damage, and lowering his pushing power. It will cost you a chunk of mana, however. When the shield is on cooldown, harass/zone him.
: Sustainer. Oh, god. The horror. You better pray your defenses will hold up against her MR shredding on Q, and/or that she runs out of mana before you do (now that her E has been changed to not provide herself with infinite mana).
: Sustainer, AOEist. Don't get caught by his snare, or you will be in for a world of pain. Make sure to run away from his crow leash if he gets it on you. Ignite when going for the kill, as is usual for people with lots of healing.
: Turn away at the last second to avoid his W. If he missed with that he's a big softie just waiting to be harassed with Q, pretty much. If he dives you with his blink, combo him once the silence wears off.
: Bee, Sustainer. Try to harass him and not get caught by his spin/slow. You might need to rush a
Glacial Shroud, I guess.
: Butterfly. Don't let him stun you with Gold Card and dodge his Wild Cards (head away and weave in between them). Then harass/zone with Q.
: Sustainer. Oh, Badimir. Don't let him Transfuse you, punish him when he uses it on a minion with a Q (or even a combo), and try not to get hit by E. When you go for the kill, Ignite him before he can pool, and try to snare him before he can pool away as well. Don't stand in the pool.
: Butterfly/Bee. Try to dodge his Q, and watch out once he hits 6 for his E/R/Q combo (which I hear has been nerfed with a delay). Catalyst/Negatron might be a good idea. Also call MIAs because his through-wall ganks can be quite powerful.
: Butterfly/AOEist. Dodge his Q and punish him with Q for missing with it. Try to force him to choose between trying to harass you and farm minions with it. Also watch out for his charged autoattacks, especially at level 1.
Punching Bags, mostly. You should be able to dominate these guys or at least easily maintain the status quo as long as you play smart. (i.e. don't get full combo'd or jungler ganked)