Janna is best at lower elo.
This is because lower elo players simply do not punish her poor laning stage. Letting her lane stay even in CS/kills is like letting a poppy free-farm top without harassing her... or a veigar free-farm his Q mid.. or a nasus... you get the point. You can exploit bad players by playing a champion that IF YOU DO NOT PUNISH, will have an advantage.
The most important
factor of playing Janna: If you can get out of laning stage successfully (aka survive and not have your AD get completely dominated in CS.)
I ended up getting my account to 2200, and let me tell you, laning vs good tarics/sonas is extremely hard if they know what they're doing. Janna isn't played much at high elo anymore because of this. She will get DOMINATED if people know how to play it right -- full zoning your ADC, and since Janna has almost 0 lane presence, they can just walk straight up to your AD.
Janna works best at low and mid elo (anything under Diamond, IMO. Once you start getting up close to Diamond is when I found people really punish me for picking Janna.) Why, do you ask? Because low/mid elo players...
- usually don't main support
- are bad/passive/simply do not know when to initiate
For example: I was playing Sona at 2200 vs a Janna main. She had just used her Q and it was a bit of a waste, so we immediately went all-in and got the kill. This can also be done when Janna's shield is down -- simply go all-in and the Janna lane has NOTHING to do about it other than waste a ton of mana on Q and running away.
At low elo, people will continue playing passive and farming even when Janna's shield or Q are on cooldown. This is really, really bad, but people simply don't take advantage of this until you start getting into the 21-2200+ range (and even then, non-support mains won't take advantage.)
Just keep that in mind.
- Janna does well vs Blitzcrank (when compared to other supports at least.) The most effective way of laning Blitz is simply activating his movespeed boost and running straight into the opposing lanes champions before pulling. As soon as you see him going for this, simply Q/W and walk away!
If Blitz pulls your AD, be prepared to Q and E immediately! If you can cast Q before Blitz has a chance to knock up your AD, you'll be safe. If you can't prevent him from knocking up your AD after he pulls, try to allign your Q to hit their AD to remove as much burst as possible. Bonus: line up your Q to hit both Blitz AND their AD!
- Janna hard counters leona. You can tornado her mid-zenith blade and stop her.
Otherwise: most of the damage from a Leona+AD lane is going to be from their AD attacking yours with Leona's passive applied. If you can tornado their AD before they get in any attacks on your lane partner, you'll walk out safe.
Make sure you use W on the enemy AD if they're chasing, or on leona if she has over-extended and is now running away. She can't top-to-bottom your AD like blitzcrank can, so you need to make sure you effectively trade if she jumps in and then backs off.
- Taric's Shatter+Auto attack is a ton of damage. When he stuns your AD, try to line up your Q to hit both Taric and their AD before he can shatter.
- A pretty hard lane to deal with. Soraka's harass is better than Jannas with her auto attack animation+silence. They will outsustain you like hell. Just do your best to shield your AD through all harass. Even if your lane loses in CS slightly, Janna is a much better late-game champion than Soraka so it's no big deal! Make sure your teammates understand that if they start to complain.
- The hardest matchup. Trying to shield vs harass is very difficult -- Sona can easily break shield + do extra damage to your AD all by herself, not to mention the added AD harass. With your slow and knockup, try to catch her out of position and throw a W+Q on her while your AD bursts her down. This isn't to kill her -- it's just to give your AD time to farm safely since Sona can't continue her harass.
- His Q harass is the hardest to deal with out of any AD because it's instant-cast. You will shield late quite often, shield when you don't need to, and overall have issues against this champion. Play passive and do your best to predict his Q's and auto-attacks.
- Shield your AD when Ashe casts her W (AOE arrows). It's such a slow cast that you really have no excuse to miss shields. Your ult + Q should be a good enough disengage at 6 that you won't get caught.
- Shield your AD through caitlyn's Qs. Again, they're very easy to shield against. The auto-attacks are the main problem, since she has such high damage and range.
- A faster projectile speed than most, his Q's and W's require quick reactions to shield against. Be prepared to instant-cast your Q after he uses his teleport to minimize his damage output.
- Try to get used to the projectile bounces of her Q. It should be very easy to shield against since she will cast it on a minion before it hits your ally. She's extremely high harass and poke.
- You can't Q him before he casts buckshot, but you can predict when you need to shield since most graves will use Quickdraw as a gap-closer, Buckshot to harass, and the back off. As soon as he casts quickdraw, shield your AD!
If you have any other matchup-related questions, let me know and I will add them in. I haven't had much experience versus Lulu -- she's really good at harassing if you often get caught pushed too far forward so play very far back and make sure your AD is all of the focus of their harass. (That way, you only have to focus on shielding 1 target rather than switching between the both of you.)