Additional possible builds not mentioned in the short overview are those:
The tanky way consists of building:
and start getting a
afterwards finish either
Then go for either
depending on their main damage source and when this item is finished build the next one.
Last but not least choose if you need more damage then build
if you need magic pen ->
or if you need none of that you can build a
Viable Items can be:
when you play against Swain, Fiddle etc.
later build into
(though i m no fan of this but you can build the chalice in almost every game when you want a little bit tankiness and / or are not so experienced in mana management)
by midgame for more sustain (against some champs which depend on poking you down instead of bursting -> ziggs for e.g.
one of the best items in the game and probably the best Active ability, cleansing every debuff including exhaust, ignite, malzahar/warwick/skarner/urgot ults, morde ult (so he gets no ghost and his dmg will be reduced by 50% because his ult is split into 2 parts a DoT and a first Nuke.) Consider building QSS against a team with WW skarner etc. Build it always against morde and malza in mid and probably even against Ashe since a 4sec stun arrow from bot lane is making you die against your lane opponent. If you think you can flash dodge those arrows all the time no need but against the other options always build it! Its a better cleanse summoner because it can free you from those suppresses.
Now to my explanations about the different items and reasons for picking them:
The standard item build for a glasscannon focussing on mainly single target (your ult) is like this:
Sorc DFG Rabba Void Zhonyas - GA / LB / Rylais
- I strongly recommend DFG to one shot your lane enemy. I do usually go this build on most casters. BUT there are other options. As i told i play glasscannons but sometimes you have to adept to not feed or die senselessly. This means -> get QSS against malza / morde, get mercs against veigar / annie probably, get some mr and life (rylais, abyssal, couple dorans) against strong burst (lb for example).
- A really defensive build can be: Mercs, RoA, DFG, Rylais, Zhonyas, Abyssal. Gives you one of the most tanky builds possible for casters. You can go for a poke oriented combo which would let me set abyssal aside and give you the option to get a WotA for sustain by poking, more burst (exchanging rylais or RoA with rabbadons), more mpen cause they stack (exchange abyssal for voidstaff) or something else like a GA. Good for poke combo or a poke oriented build is Lich bane when you can manage to follow up with an auto attack after your spells (best after stun) so you wont die.
Always adept to the situation.
- Build situationally and DONT always follow a standard route unless you want to end below 1k elo. And i do know players at 500 elo but also at 2.5k elo. If you study the differences or know some by yourself or by watching their streams you will also know a standard build might work most games like 55% but you loose another 45% by getting counterpicked and not adepting.
- And think about red potion if you dont have slots for health pots but only wards. Think about early blue potion giving you CDR (huge stat on Syndra probably the best cause it synergizes with a spamm stile and your ult (more spheres more TONS OF DAMAGE, even if you jungle Syndra :P).
- Blut pot is strong to be used be4 dragon / nash fights or if you want to extend your lane dominance, get stronger ganks or if you think you fall behind slightly (enemy got a kill and you not but famr is equal -> he got more gold to be invested into something like 15-20ap, with a blue pot you get the same amount and CDR -> allows you to keep up for 4 minutes by investing less then he got for a kill)
Varieties for special champs or viable itembuilds:
- You dont have to follow my build. As I said its a standard build and i recommend it in most games but not in all. Last game (about 5mins ago when riot crushed the servers at least on EU) I had to play against Diana in mid. To make sure I win my lane and dont feed since we all know that a fed diana is probably one of the things you dont like, i adepted my build.
- Diana is a champ which either depends on a lot of burst damage (if going DFG route, which my diana did) or on poke (with a more tanky build like roa,abyssal etc something like this).
- Diana is hard to handle but i feel that it was pretty easy with Syndra. I havent had much time training against diana so i decided to go a safe way and build the chalice. It helped quite well since i was not getting bursted with 70 mr and got big mana reg which was really nice since they took my blue 2 times and jungler wasnt really focussing on defending it.
Thanks to the first few comments and the feedback i decided to offer some alternative itembuilds. Those are mostly depending on your enemy and the above story was just to illustrate why i chose to explain this item build section now even more in depth.
So to start off I want to say that there are different ways. The first alternative route i want to show is a bit more tanky.
- Start items are the same (boots 2hp 1mp). Then I would build 2 dorans and a chalice. This gives you 160 life and 30 mr which is a huge bit of tankyness. Usually I d say thats enough sustain against most aps but well sometimes you have to play against 1shot wonders like leblanc veigar etc where some more mr can be saving lifes. Then you build Mercury threads. It helps against veigar a lot (more detailed in match up section). So if you need or want even more tankiness I would consider buildin Abyssal against hard burst champs or some duo / triple ap combs. But when you build really tanky you automatically swap some stats into defense and you could have them in offense. this leads me to the conclusion that you should build another offensive item which is very cheap so that you can finish it without delaying your damage too much. This item is in almost all cases a DFG. Afterwards if you want to go really tanky i believe that chalice can be build into athenes. Rabbadons is another good dmg option and rylais a hybrid option a good mix between defense offense and a nice chunk of utility.
- One of my last games I played against another kind of Syndra player. He started with 12mr in runes and went straight for Chalice and a negatron afterwards. thus he still dealt tons of damage. going to test it over and over because this build seems viable even though it didnt convince me during pbe. final build of her was dfg, chalice, abyssal, rabbadons. thats when the game ended cause we won, even though i had a pretty big problem 1vs1 her.