- is your only option here. Machete will build into either a madred's razer to help your clear time, or your prime jungle/tank item spirit of the ancient golem. Not to mention it will heavily increase your early jungle clear time because of the true damage. No reason not to take machete for a jungler! :^)
On your first back..
- this is an extremely good item on rammus. Because your W can clear the small minions rather quickly, you still need something to clear out the big jungle creep on every camp. It will take forever for you to kill it only using auto attack, so this will immensely help with your jungle clear speed. This is also especially good on rammus because it gives early armor, and works well with your passive.
- if you don't want to farm the jungle and rather camp the living hell out of a lane, this is a better item. Get this if you're pretty much planning to only clear jungle when you only have smite available, and ganking every other time. This path will let you get your spirit of the ancient golem item much quicker, but you will sacrifice some early jungle clear, which means farm+money lost if you fail your ganks.
- a crucial item on rammus to get, and better as you get it earlier. Gives you a lot of movespeed out of combat, which also works with your 2% movespeed boost you get from your masteries. Rammus is all about the swiftness and being able to zoom through a ward and perform speedy and sneaky ganks so this is really strong.
Your core items
- This is just simply too good of an item to pass up on a jungler. Makes you a LOT more tanky with the amount of HP this item gives, but not only that this will give you tenacity as well as cooldown reduction. You will be getting mobility boots, so the tenacity is invaluable here. One of the most cost effective items in the game, so you should get this as your first or second big buy.
- A strong item to get early because the shield is pretty strong early game when the HP is more valuable. Also gives you some cooldown reduction and armor, both scaling pretty well with rammus. Not that strong of an item late game, however if you want a source of cooldown reduction this is a good buy.
I recommend getting it after the spirit item because the pure hp and tenacity is better earlier, because you still have W to make up for your defensive stats armor and mr.
Late game items that you will be going for.
- homeguards are extremely effective to get on rammus, and the better the faster you get it. You can recall, get full hp/mana, and come back to lanes in like.. 10~15 seconds. It's ridiculous. Must buy ASAP!
- A solid buy against mostly armor enemy. The passive is also really helpful in clearing lane creeps as well as jungle creeps. Has pretty good aoe damage in a teamfight in combination with your ultimate. It's better to get this item early, so i would not get this as your last two items because the aura becomes rather nonexistent late game.
- Remember that one of rammus's weakpoints is that the enemy team can CC you before you get to your target. This will help you avoid one spell, and hopefully it's enough to get to your target. This will also help if you're getting pushed on and enemy is throwing catch spells at you. Really strong against double AP teams!
- Since your bulwark+ your defensive ball curl gives you HUGE armor and mr already, why not increase your hp instead? nothing raises your pure hp more than this item, and once you get this item people will just be discouraged to attack you because you will be taking no damage. I like getting this a lot of times if the enemy team is just a pure damage team, so that i can completely shut them down.
- one of the most underrated item to get on a tank. Especially strong with a hyper carry or if you also have a carry top lane like jax or irelia. Gives a whopping 20% cooldown reduction. If you feel like you don't need any more tanky items, but you want to give more for your team to do those massive dps while youre taunting and tanking, get this item.
- enemy team have 3/4 AD team comp? tryndamere fed? just get thornmail. You will be a god amongst the AD champions, and they willbe doing negative damage as they will kill themselves by hitting you. Remember that you definitely do not want to get this against multiple AP damages, because it will do nothing for you against AP.
- generally a strong buy that gives armor and hp. The passive is strong against auto-attackers like AD carries, and the active is really strong and shines in teamfights with the aoe slow. If i'm not getting a sunfire cape early, i like to go for this item later on because it is so extremely strong. Remember that your active gets longer the more defensive stats you have, and ofcourse you got that defensive ball curl. :^) good synergy.
- this item used to be a core item on rammus to use for initates and ganks. I only get this item early if i feel like all i'm looking for is snowballing lanes. Also if my lanes are ridiculously fed, it's definitely not a bad idea still to rush this item because it will pretty much cause more pressure on enemy laners just by buying this item. Not that great for yourself scaling into late game, so get this only as a snowballing item.
- if you're still dying often to the enemy team because they have a trundle, or a ridiculously fed zed, then you might want to consider buying this to give yourself another life. You can probably have enough time to get another taunt in after you revive, amongst giving you slight armor/mr as well.
Use your intuition to buy the items that will help you carry the team! This applies not only for rammus but for other junglers. One of the most important factors for a jungler is to be able to build correctly, so remember what i said about each item, and get the correct items for your game! good luck. :^)