IntroductionGalio is in my opinion one of the most underestimated tanky-supports in the game.
He has the ability to completely change the outcome of team fights if played and built correctly.
He is extremely dangerous during laning phase as he can dish out some consistent harass.
Hope you guys enjoy this guide, and as always, feel free to leave questions / suggestions in the comment section below!
I find that Flash - (Teleport or Clarity) works best on Galio
- Flash is a MUST on Galio
- Used to get into perfect position for an ult which catches all 5 opponents
- Can be used defensively
- Can be used offensively to close gaps
- Enables you to miss minimal exp during laning phase as you don't have to run back to lane
- Can help prevent backdoors
- Can be used to push an unexpected lane
- Can be used to join a team fight that broke out on the other side of the map
- Supplies some much needed mana early and mid game
- Can keep a 5 man push going and going
- Can be used to turn the outcome of a team fight if most of your team is oom
Some other possible Summoner Spells might include the following:
Removes all debuffs from your champion, pretty self explanatory.
can be replaced for clarity, but really its just a personal preference as to which you like better.
DO NOT GET:
Let the supports do their job
May be used, but there are much better options
Much better options compared to heal
You're not jungling
I find the following mastery page to work best on Galio
NOTE TO PICK UP PERSEVERENCE AND CLARITY MASTERIES INSTEAD OF TELEPORT AND GREED IF YOU ARE RUNNING CLARITY - FLASH
Note that Good Hands can be replaced for Perseverence, if you feel the need for more regen
Short and Sweet, your main goal with Galio is to achieve as much damage as possible, being able to survive in team fights, and to have enough regen to be able to stay in lane and keep a constant push going.
Going into Detail
- Archmage's Savvy is a must seeing as no other first tier masteries really benefits Galio
- Deadliness is a slot filler
- Sorcery is used to decrease the cooldowns on Galio's abilities
- Archaic Knowledge to deal more damage with your actual spells
- Resistance to cope with early game AP carries
- Hardiness to cope with early game AD harass, while taking reduced damage from minions
- Strength of Spirit to help you stay in lane during laning phase
- Good Hands decreases death timers. You're a support tank, your job is to prevent your carries from dying, usually dying in the process.
- Spacial Accuracy reduces cast time and cd on your ((only get this if you are running Teleport))
- Perseverence slightly increases mp5 and unlocks tier 2 masteries ((only get this if you aren't running Teleport))
- Awareness helps stay up to war in levels, as you are most likely going to be in a duo lane bot
- Meditation supplies some much needed mana regen
- Insight benefits the team as you supply more mana with your ((Do NOT get this if you are running teleport - flash))
Alternative Mastery Page
- This setup provides less defensive stats, but supplies more cdr, more regen, and more movement speed in return
Optimal Rune Setup
Greater Mark of Insight: +0.95 magic penetration
- Makes Galio's spells hit harder, pretty self explanatory
Greater Seal of Clarity: +0.065 mana regen / 5 sec. per level (1.17 at champion level 18)
- Supplies much needed mana regen as most of Galio's abilities don't come cheap
Greater Glyph of Shielding: +0.15 magic resist per level (2.7 at champion level 18)
- Increases Galio's magic resist. Helps cope with AP carries. Supplies some AP with
Greater Quintessence of Fortitude: +26 Health
- You're going to be off-tanking. Health is probably one of your best options.
Greater Seal of Resilience: +1.41 armor
- Increases your ability to cope with both minion damage and AD harassers
Greater Glyph of Warding: +1.49 Magic Resist
- Can be replaced for Per Level MR glyphs, comes down to personal preference as to which you like more
Passive: Runic Skin
Galio converts 50% of his total Magic Resistance into Ability Power.
- Increases your AP by 50% of your Magic Resist
- This is the ability that lets Galio go tanky, while still being able to dish out damage
- Works wonders with items that have both AP and MR like
Q: Resolute Smite
Galio fires a concussive blast from his eyes, dealing 80/135/190/245/300 (+60% of ability power) magic damage to enemies near the impact location, and reducing their movement speed by 24 / 28 / 32 / 36 / 40% for 2.5 seconds.
/ 65 / 70 / 75 / 80mana
- Incredible harass during laning phase
- Easy to hit AoE nuke
- Incredible AoE slow for chasing enemies
- Amazing for clearing creap waves
Galio shields a friendly champion for 4 seconds, increasing their Armor and Magic Resistance by 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90. Each time the unit suffers damage, Galio is healed for 20 / 32 / 44 / 56 / 68 (+30% of ability power) (-20% healing for each consecutive hit).
- Part of the reason what makes Galio such a great support-tank
- Increases target's Armor and Magic Resist
- Should be used on your carries in team fights to help them survive throughout the fight
- Slightly heals Galio every time the target is attacked by an enemy
E: Righteous Gust
Galio unleashes a gust of concussive wind that deals 60/105/150/195/240 (+80% of ability power) magic damage to all enemies in its path. A directional draft remains for 5 seconds, increasing the movement speed of allies passing through it by 20/28/36/44/52%.
Cost 70 / 75 / 80 / 85 / 90 mana
- Amazing harass during laning phase
- Can be used to close gaps
- Amazing for clearing creep waves
- Can be used to help allies escape from an enemy that is chasing
R: Idol of Durand
Galio channels for 2.5 seconds, taunting nearby foes and blocking 30% of incoming damage.
After channeling, Galio deals 220 / 330 / 440 (+85% of ability power) magic damage to surrounding enemies, plus an additional 10% damage for each attack he suffered while channeling. Max 80% bonus damage.
Cost 100 / 145 / 190 mana
- The skill that makes Galio so good
- Taunts everybody in a 550 unit range, deals 220 / 330 / 440 (+85% of ability power) plus an additional 10% damage for each attack suffered while channeling.
- Should be used during team fights once everybody is stacked up
- Amazing for keeping your enemies in place while your carries blow them up
- Works wonders against teams with high attack speed
- I choose to level this first as it provides an amazing nuke early game
- Great harass for wearing your opponents out
- Amazing for farming creep waves
- Excellent for keeping your enemies off of you and your lane partner
- I choose to level this second as it provides amazing defensive stats to whoever is targeted
- Amazing for keeping your lane partner alive during laning phase
- Amazing for keeping carries alive in team fights
- Can be used to slightly heal during laning phase
- I choose to level this last as it doesn't quite benefit the team as much as the nuke+slow or the increased defensive stats does
- Decent damage regardless
Item BuildsDue to , Galio simply has to build tanky - as it provides him with both defensive stats, as well as offensive stats.
Defense Items w/ MR
Keep in mind that Galio benefits greatly from getting Magic Resist, hence why people don't usually build too much AP on him.
Provides much needed mana regen in order to keep your mana pool up. The MR really shouldn't be overlooked. Galio's abilities cost so much mana so this is extremely important in his build. Galio easily goes oom, even when having
Provides decent MR, and you should always upgrade your tier 1 boots lol.
Excellent item as it provides Health, Mana, and tons of MR. Built so that your ult can completely channel, without interruption.
Supplies both MR and AP. Great item to get on Galio is both stats greatly benefit his spell layout. In the end, you get nearly 150% of the AP provided on the item.
Amazing item early and mid game as it supplies lots of defensive stats to your team. Should be your first purchase after and if you plan on getting it.
Supplies an amazing passive, which can easily turn the outcome of team fights. Tons of MR.
Defensive Items w/ Armor
Amazing item as it supplies Health, Armor, Health Regen, and an amazing passive slow. The stats on this item are absolutely amazing. The Unique Active should ALWAYS be used right after you finish casting ! NEVER CAST IT BEFORE CASTING YOUR ULT as it will simply result in your ultimate doing less damage! Best used right afterwards, when the enemy team is trying to re-position themselves.
Absolutely beautiful Mana and Armor provided with this item. The passive attack speed slow is amazing when vs'ing champs like , , etc..
Be careful when purchasing this item as it WILL decrease the damage done by your ultimate as you will be receiving less hits.
Amazing item as it provides all the stats a tank could ever ask for. Being able to rezz half way through a fight and help your team finish off the enemy team can be absolutely devastating.
Great Armor and AP provided with this item. The Unique active should generally be used either right after your ult finishes with its channel, or right after they start to focus you in the team fight.
Offensive Items weren't covered so much in this Item Build as Galio should be played as a tank, not an AP Carry.
Early GameGalio's early game is pretty standard.
You want to buy your first item (usually +, and head to go help your team with the level 1 team fight.
Level 1 Team Fight
Your goal in the fight is generally to either be in front (if your team doesn't have a strong tank), or to be right behind your tank (if you have a strong tank) when you initiate / get initiated on in the jungle.
As far as "strong tanks" go, I would consider the following champions "strong tanks":
During the course of the actual fight, your main goal is to pop your on as many people as possible, while trying to prioritize the squishies so that your carries have an easier job getting into the initial fight. Remember to keep auto-attacking in between those cooldowns!
If You're Not Fighting
Buy your items, and head to either bottom lane, or top if your team doesn't have a second solo.
During early game, your goal is to get a decent farm while keeping constant pressure on your opponents.
If you're laning with a carry (which you should be), simply let them get most of the cs, only taking about 10% - 20% of the actual creep kills.
Your main goal early game is to protect your carry while they are getting free creep kills, while keeping their lane fairly pushed back away from their creep wave, essentially denying them a bit.
Whenever you see their team moving in on either you, or your carry, simply pop a on whoever is about to get focused, hit a on them, and lead yourself / your carry with a .
If you're laning with a support such as , simply discuss how you want to share the creeps. Galio is not very item dependent outside of his core build, so letting your team get some items is never a bad decision!
Once you get your , be sure to start playing aggressive as your lane opponents try to go in for last hits. Make them pay for getting that last hit!
Remember to always pop your on either yourself or your lane partner whenever you charge in on them / they charge in on you, as it will significantly reduce incoming damage.
Mid GameBy now you should at least have your ++.
By now you shouldn't have to worry too much about your mana as your chalice will basically take care of any mana issues that you might be having.
Your goal is continue farming your lane whenever your lane partner is out of the lane, while keeping constant harass on your opponents. Very similar to early game.
Keep in mind that provides incredible defensive stats, so whenever your lane opponent gets a little too cocky, simply pop your W on him and he will receive significantly reduced damage from all sources.
By now you should be level 6 and should have gotten your , the skill that truly makes Galio who he is.
I will cover how to use in Chaper 11: How to use Idol of Durand.
Late GameLate Game is very similar to Mid Game with a few exceptions;
- Your s will be hitting for decent amounts of damage
- Your will basically be saving allies left and right
- Your should make chasing a breeze.
- Your will completely turn the tides in team fights
Your goal is to have constant control over both dragon and baron, keeping both of them warded.
During Late Game, it is absolutely essential that you stick with the rest of your team and babysit the shit out of them. Do NOT let them run around the map aimlessly, just to get caught in the jungle by their entire team.
Communication is key in games.
How to use Idol of Durand
How to Use it
Idol of Durand is an ability that requires you to know whats going on around you, as there are many many many ways to use this ability incorrectly.
To start, 80% of the time, you are going to use the following combo to ensure that at least 80% of their team is caught with the ultimate:
Simply pop Bulwark, flash into the middle of their team, and pop
Going into Detail
Firstly, you should always try to hit as many people as possible, as the more people you catch, the more damage will be done.
Secondly, be sure to your use --> combo right before going in, allowing your team to get to their team and dish out massive damage, as well as giving you the ability to re-cast everything once your ultimate finally does go off.
Thirdly, you HAVE to know who is on the other team, and who can counter your ultimate. Some of these champions are as follows:
(Your biggest concern - Biggest counter to Galio)
Not that all of these champions have abilities that activated, and will perform some kind of interruption when pulled in towards you.
i.e. Blitzcrank knock-up will interrupt it, Kennen auto-attack stun will interupt it, Udyr Bear Stand will interrupt it, etc, etc..
Whenever you see the enemy team activate these abilities, simply save your ultimate until after the ability is used. This however, is what makes Udyr such an amazing counter to Galio, his auto-attacks stun your every [x] amount of seconds. Not that you should NEVER use your ultimate whenever an Udyr (who is in bear stand) will be caught.
Much props to StanfordLikesCake for providing this brilliant Youtube video on how to use Galio's ultimate. He has multiple videos on Galio, feel free to check him out! His channel can be found at http://www.youtube.com/user/StanfordLikesCake
Final CommentsThanks for checking out my guide on Galio, The Sentinel's Sorrow.
I feel like he is an incredibly underused champion that really does deserve some more attention.
As usual, leave suggestions, questions, etc.. in the comment section below.