IntroductionAmumu, in all seriousness, is an underused champion that is over-looked A LOT. Amumu, The Sad Mummy, has some really crazy potential. Amumu is one of the best tanks in the game (up top with Rammus and Cho-Gath) and your job is to initiate the team fights and do some ridiculous damage while doing damage over time. Amumu is also an amazing jungler, with excellent ganking abilities! Who knows, you might be Amumus best friend!
Oh, and on the side note, Listen to this song while your playing Amumu ;)
Credits to FringeBeats for an amazing Amumu rap :D
UpdatesHere will be post's of updates that I will be doing to the guide. For maybe a new item idea has been added? Amumu has been buffed/nerfed? The metagame has changed? All the updates will be done here.
- Changes to Items according to Season 3 [29/01/2013]
- Changes to Masteries according to Season 3 [16/12/2012]
- Changes to AP-Lane Amumu
- AMUMU NERFS: Amumu has just been recently nerfed for his outstanding 1.0 AP ratio's. His AP ratio has been reduced to 0.8 as well as his to 0.8 from 1.0. However, they kindly buffed his , by reducing the mana cost from 50 all levels, to 30 all levels. This allows him to jungle without usually having a problem with mana at level 1-6.
- SAD ROBOT AMUMU: This skin is truly amazing. Amumu has been transformed unto a Sad little robot! His Bandage Toss are electrical wires. His Despair are oil spilling out. His Tantrum is like an electrical shock, and last but not least, his Curse of the Sad Mummy, is just like his regular ult, but the heiroglyphics on the edges were changed to sad faces that we all use (e.g. :_; ): <:( ). Updated on 05-25-2012
- Curse of the Sad Mummy cooldown reduced to 150/130/110 seconds from 170/150/120 seconds. Amumu also gets 1.25 Magic Resist per level. Just a little magic resist amp-up, and his ult cooldown got reduced by 20 seconds each level! updated on May 1st, 2012.
- Added "Building AP-Lane Amumu" on 13/04/2012
- Guide added on 12/04/2012
Building AP-Lane AmumuNow heres the thing, everyone see's Amumu as a tank, and a jungler. But no one seems to really realize that all his skills scales off AP by A LOT. Amumu can really drop a full health or in seconds without letting tryndamere popping his .
I will present you this picture, of Amumu's stats;
As you can see, his "Spells" is near 100%. Amumu has some really strong damage potential.
EDIT: Amumu's AP Ratio on his and has been nerfed, but don't get me wrong, he still DEALS a lot of damage.
Amumu, the Nuking Mummy
This is just a quick review on his skills once he's being built AP, and what he can truly do.
-- Bandage toss may not seem like a strong skill, well for jungling/tanking amumu it isnt. At level 1 it's magic damage is at 80, at level 5, 320 magic damage.
-- Curse of the Sad Mummy is the extreme of the extreme, and defines amumu really well. AP Amumu or Jungle/tank Amumu, you still do a crap-load of damage with this ult. At level 1, magic damage is 150, at level 3, 350 magic damage.
-- This skill is just ordinary, goings off by +0.5 per ability power. So it would be half of your AP. Still strong.
Items for AP Mumu
Here are the recommended items for a beastly AP Carry Mumu;
Not Necessaringly in order, but these is what turns any Amumu, into one Damage-Dealing mummy.
The skill order for AP Amumu changes. This is because you want to max out Bandage Toss first, so that you can maximize damage with Amumu, and leave Tantrum last.
The new season 3 masteries are actually quite interesting. The new defensive trees makes jungling a lot easier, for Amumu this gives him some extra tankiness and reduced damage taken. Also, It gives me the most effective health and is very effective mid and late game.
Picking up Summoners Resolve for the extra 10g for using smite, and obviously Runic Affinity for longer lasting buffs. This will grant survivability in the jungle and team fights.
AP-Lane Amumu 9/21/0?
This page is for the AP top/mid lane Amumu. 9 points on offense for the Summoners Wrath, cooldown reduction, AP per level and magic penetration. 21 points on defense to still keep Amumu's tankiness, reduction to damage and CC.
Support Amumu 1/21/8
- *Credits to Borgous for the support page*
This page is for those who wants to try support Amumu. 1 point on Summoners Wrath for the armor and magic resist reduction on exhaust. 21 points down the defense page for Amumu's tankiness once again. 8 points down the Utility page for the cooldown reduction on your skills and items.
- Greater Mark of Insight - You get these flat marks so that you would be able to rip apart the magic resistance of some of the tanks, that think they're smart and build magic resistance against you and ally casters. Especially for natural born tanks like Galio, with a broken passive.
- Greater Seal of Resilience - These flat seals with give you more survivability against AD carries like Ashe & Caitlyn. This will give you a total of an extra +12.69 armour.
- Greater Glyph of Shielding - Just like the marks of resilience, the +0.15 magic resist/Level will make casters cry while you soak them with your tears of joy. Skills like Annie's Tibbers & Lux's Finales Funkeln got nothing on you son! For you will have a total of +24.3 magic resist by level 18.
- Greater Quintessence of Fortitude - These flat health will just allow you to be more tanky with an extra +78 health.
You can switch out the runes on top with these below according to your liking.
- Greater Mark of Resilience - You can pick up these cheap flat marks that will give you an additional 0.91 armour. If your playing ranked, and your up against a heavy AD team, then ultimately pick this, for they will rage out of their pants and your going to be laughing while you guys ace them. In total, you will get +8.19 armour.
- Greater Quintessence of Avarice - You can get these really cheap quints that will increase your gold rate by 1. This could stack with your & if you get one. Only get these quints if you want to get your items faster and your playing support Amumu.
- Greater Quintessence of Swiftness - The 1.5% movement speed boost can really be an amazing benefit for Amumu's. You can run around in circles while they try to escape you while you slow them down with . In between, taunt them, or even laugh for giggles.
I pick these traditional summoner spells for two different reasons.
Flash - This is used for many things. You can use this to escape disasters, or your can use this to chase someone down. Importantly, this is very needed for Amumu for a team fight. While you guys have a stare down at mid, if someone doesn't initiate, you can force the team fight by: 1. in the middle of the enemy team 2. Pop your ultimate .
Smite - Pretty straight forward, this is used for when your jungling. Read the Jungling chapter to learn more about the jungling route.
Replacing the flash with ghost, could also a good combination for Amumu, for he can chase down the enemies and use to bring their health low.
This is for bottom lane amumu if you're supporting. Exhaust will weaken their AD carry so that your AD carry will poop on their AD carry. :D
Passive: Cursed Touch
Amumu's attacks reduce the target's magic resistance by 15/25/35 for 5 seconds.
This passive make new Amumu players say, "35 Reduced magic resist if I hit someone? What a waste of a passive!"
This is a good single-target passive, and you can really help out your AP casters to do some more damage to the enemies. 35 is actually a lot, no one believes so. You should mainly focus on the enemy with the highest magic resist.
Q: Bandage Toss
Throws a bandage to target location. If it hits an enemy unit, Amumu will pull himself to the enemy, stun them, and deal 80 / 140 / 200 / 260 / 320 (+100% of ability power) magic damage.
Cooldown 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10seconds
Cost 80 / 90 / 100 / 110 / 120mana
This is Amumu`s slice of cheese and stick of butter. This skill can be used in many different ways. You can use it to escape, by grabbing unto any of the minions or monsters in the jungle. You can use it to start a gank, after finishing your jungling route. Lastly, you can use it to stop someone from running away. This is one of the main damage output for Amumu. This is just.. incredible!
Toggle: Nearby enemies take 8 / 12 / 16 / 20 / 24 magic damage plus 1.5 / 1.8 / 2.1 / 2.4 / 2.7 (+1% of ability power)% of their maximum health each second.
Cost 8mana per second
This is another one of Amumu`s damage output. Since it deals health percentage damage, you should use this on tanks so that they can slowly melt. This skill really works well with Rylai`s crystal scepter. As you toggle on Despair, they will be extremely slowed, that they will be crying instead, and your teammates will catch up and melt them down. This skill is also taken at level 1 for your jungling route.
Passive: Amumu takes 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 / 10 reduced damage from physical attacks.
Active: Amumu deals 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 / 175 (+50% of ability power) magic damage to surrounding units. Each time Amumu is hit, the cooldown on Tantrum is reduced by 0.5 seconds.
Cooldown 21 / 18 / 15 / 12 / 9seconds
Firstly the passive parts reduce damage from minions by 10, which is very useful for farming and jungling. This is what makes you strong in the jungle. That damage reduction is significant, especially on early levels, and the damage itself is very nice. You can also basically spam your Tantrum, for that every time your hit, the cooldown is reduced by 0.5 seconds. If your focused in a team fight, this is your number one damage!
R: Curse of the Sad Mummy
Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units, causing them to be unable to attack or move for 2.5 seconds, dealing 50 / 100 / 150 (+35% of ability power) magic damage to them each second.
Cooldown 170 / 150 / 130seconds
Cost 100 / 150 / 200mana
This is Amumu`s game changing ultimate. This is what defines Amumu and seperates good one from the bad one. This ability is really powerful, deals some good damage and has a very big AoE range. The cooldown is abysmal 170-130 second, so save this to use in inportant teamfights or chases. A good combination is when you Flash into the middle of the enemy team, and you use your Curse of the Sad Mummy to get them all rooted. If your team has AoE spell casters, like Brand and Fiddlesticks, then that itself, IS OP.
Skill Order/Combination-> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> ->
This shows the order of how you put up your skills. Maxing out Tantrum, Then Despair followed along with his ult Curse of the Sad Mummy. The Bandage Toss is maxed last. But, in my honest opinion, you can switch how you want to put up the skill order. You can max out bandage toss first, so that the cooldown is extremely reduced.
Ganking/Starting a team fight: -> -> ->
Chasing someone down: -> -> or -> (If you haven't already)
Item BuildsHere, I will explain the Core items and the Situational Items. Here will let you know when or why you should get these items to either build up Amumu or help out your team.
; Build your into this. Not only does it let you clear the jungle, it gives you ability power, mana regen, AND spell vamp! This item will allow you to sustain in teamfights and jungle, and deal a bit more damage aswell.
; These are the boots you should get almost every game. They give you decent magic resistance, which is great since you don't get any MR items early game, as well as reducing most CCs by a significant amount. These are basically the best boots for a functioning Amumu to have.
; This item is beast for Amumu. It gives you a lot of bulk, AP for your abilities and the amazing "slowing" tears. It has amazing synergy with Abyssal Scepter because you can deal more damage near the enemies.
; This will speed jungling up greatly, as well as giving you needed bulk. If you're up against a team consisting of mainly magic damage users, you may want to get the Giant's Belt before the Chain Vest. This item synergizes extremely well with your Despair, and it is considered core on every AP Amumu ever.
; This item is great in that it gives you both Magic Resist (always good for a tank) and flat magic resist reduction to your enemies. I say that the magic resist from the Scepter is too good to pass up. In addition, Abyssal Scepter greatly helps out a magic-damage heavy team.
; The cooldown reduction combined with the Golem buff brings you well over the 40% CDR cap. The extra mana lets you spam spells longer without relying on the Golem. Finally, you get 99 extra armor, which is always fantastic against physical DPS.
SITUATIONAL ALTERNATIVE ITEMS
; The Ohmwrecker is a really good alternative item on Amumu. It gives him bonus health, mana, and armor. The passive is really good if you want to tower dive as a team with Amumu. Make sure you land a Q, pop your ultimate, and use ohmwrecker on the turret. Trust me, it helps a lot.
; Runic is also another good item on Amumu. It has extra added benefits than . 15 extra magic resist and 150 extra health to your teammates. Worth it you could say.
; This item is very useful for fighting fed AD carries, such as Tryndamere, Master Yi, or Fiora. It really makes enemy carry sick to attack you, you might feel as they do no damage at all. Beware that you should not just buy this item when they have 5 AD team. Buying thornmail when they are not fed will just draw fire from you to your teammates. Use it at your teammate's risk.
; This item is late-game oriented, when dying can costs your team a game. You are very suited with this item due to the fact that you regenerate your health fast. You also deals AoE damage, so if enemies surround you while you are reviving, you can punish them with your Tantrum and Despair damage. Note that you should buy this item as the fifth or sixth item.
; Your own Cleanse! Use this to counter ultimates that cause suppression: Warwick, Malzahar, Skarner. It really has no restricted usage, but it's best used to counter a suppression ult, as Banshee's veil + smart positioning is probably better for the purposes of avoiding regular CC.
; Absolutely awesome item for every tanks in the game. It boots your survivability and health to the astronomical level, when all enemies fear to even touch you. Rush this item when they have a lot of true damager champions, like Vayne, or high Armor/MR penetration champions. Usually get it after your main resistance items. You will learn to love this.
; This item is the great item to build from Philosopher's Stone, it offers high CDR and movespeed to boost your team's initiation and chasing. Definitely grab this instead of Banshee's Veil if enemy have little or no CC.
Early Game/JunglingYour early game is basically in the jungle. In this chapter, I will be talking about your jungling route and when to gank.
Amumu is a really good jungler, and he has an amazing ganking skill (Bandage Toss), that can really help your teammates when their in need of assistance. A video of the jungle route might be made.
Here's your long awaited Jungle Route:
- Start off by buying a & a Health Pots, with one point into Despair.
- Head your way into the wolves camp. Once it hits 1:40, turn on Despair and kill the wolves (Make sure you kill the brown wolf first).
- Move on to the Blue Buff camp. Pop a health pot and Smite the blue golem, and you shouldv'e leveled up so put up your Tantrum.
- Make your way to the Wraiths camp, kill them.
- Go back to the Wolves camp. Kill them all, And put a point into Tantrum.
- Go to red buff, have your Despair up and Use tantrum as much as you can. Smite whenever you can.
- Go to double golems. Your going to be level 4, so put a point into Bandage Toss.
- Now finish off any left over camps, like wraiths and wolves. You should have about 750g. Recall after.
- Buy a &
- GANK A LANE!! / Or continue jungling until level 6. THEN GANK!!
Late GameBy the time laning phase is broken, and everyone is roaming, remain to stay in the jungle or near the turret. Amumu works well in the jungle, and he can really bait a few enemies into a team fight. A simple tactic that any Amumu can do is faking baron and dragon, and then bait them into the team fight. BUT only fight if you have your ult up.
By late game, around 30-45+ minutes, You should already have your core items, and with and , you should be able to slow everyone down with your and melt them down with everything you got.
ALWAYSkeep control of Baron and Dragon, you would want to get that extra 150g from Dragon, and that 300g from Baron. This will allow you to get that global gold that probably that one player in your team needs to finish off an Infinity's Edge or . Also that damage increase from Baron buff will benefit your team well.
Team FightsAmumu really excells well in team fights. His ult, Curse of the Sad Mummy, is one huge game changing ult, if the game`s favor is on the opponents team. If you can land a perfect Amumu ult, and your team jumps in, and targets 1 squishy after another, you will be able to turn the tables.
You can also refer to the chapter, "Skill Order/Combination", to know how to initiate a fight, or you could also try:
-> + + -> .
KEEP TO NOTE: Always alert your teammates for when you have your ultimate, or seconds away from it.. A good Amumu will always remind their teammates when they have an ultimate up, or when they about to start it. Once you used your ult, you want to start going for either the;
Damage-Dealer (, ),
or any fed champion on there team (, , ).
Final CommentsThis concludes my In-Depth guide for Amumu, The Sad Mummy. Please, do not flame this guide, do give it a try, and if you DO have a problem with my guide, please leave some constructive criticism, as I will be updating this guide from here on out.
: "Lets be friends forever!"
I WILL ADD A SUPPORT AMUMU CHAPTER! I am terribly busy with school. My apologies.