IntroductionVeigar is one of the best and strongest AP characters in League of Legends.. I mean Veigar IS the best and strongest AP character. That is, if you know how to play him efficiently enough. Veigar can be lethal in the hands of a proficient Veigar player. In this guide i will show you a different way of playing Veigar than most people, and it is a veritably dynamic style of play. I've played Veigar for about a year and a half now and i can say that i understand and have the logic behind Veigar. The mindset of a pro Veig player. I will update this when new AP champs come out or when they change Veig.
If you needed gameplay footage, you can find vids on my twitch channel.
I will be streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/ikarry
Pros & Cons
- One of the best nukers in the game.(Highest Dmg output)
- Area of effect stun, crowd control
- Can farm AP which scales into skills
- An anti mage ult
- Deadly late game
- An excellent ganker
- Wide range of defensive items and STILL have a lot of AP due to his Q farm
- Low sustain early game
- One of the squishiest AP champion
- Weak early game
- Low mana pool
- Often targeted in team fights
- Not very defensive
- Magic resist counters Veig
- Misplacement of stun will probably result in death late game
- Extremely easy to dodge W (small area of effect) (huge damage)
Throughout this guide, i will show you how to "fix" or adjust his cons. Meaning i will inform you what to do to erase his cons.
MasteriesFor the masteries, as you can see i've went offensive with the 21-0-9. If you dont agree with this or think immediately that this is bad, please take time to finish my whole guide and understand the whole concept. These masteries allow you to have more offense rather than defense. After all, the best defense is a good offense. Since Veig's AP scales higher late game, the offensive tree is more beneficial. Also, I've gotten the "swiftness" mastery (2%movement speed). Movement speed and mobility is crucial in this guide. The Runic Affinity mastery ( 20% more time on buffs) is very handy when you take blue buff.
Summoner SpellsI always get
- is mostly used early game, (laning phase) to burst down the enemy. Late game, not as useful. Unless the enemy team has champions such as
- Flash is just OP. Used to flash in and stun an entire team, escape, juke. All that other stuff.
- +8.6 Magic Penetration-Mark
- +3.7 Mana Regen / 5 sec-Seal
- +13.4 Magic Resistance-Glyph
- +4.5% Movement Speed
- I chose Magic Penetration marks over Ability Power because Veigar can FARM the AP. He cannot farm Magic Pen. Also, Magic Penetration starts getting useful during Mid-Late game. +8.6 MagicPen> +5.3 AP (if i were to choose AP marks).
- For the seal you see i've gotten Mana Regen /5. This will help you farm your Q up a bit more. Works really effective with your passive. Which i will get to later.
- Magic resistance glyphs for pure protection against AP mid. Increases sustain/nurture in lane, especially if you're against big harass champions.
- Movement speed is a beautiful thing. The more the merrier. Movement speed can be used offensively(such as chasing enemies for the last hit, catching up enemies to land a stun). It can also be used defensively when you run away or back. Also, when you lane against champions with skill shot, it is much easier to dodge and that is important.
Veigar's PassiveDid you know Veigar has a passive? Yes he does.
Keep in mind when laning, to keep your mana low to put your passive to its full potential. Now, I'm not talking about 30 mana low. Always be sure to have 80-140 mana for your stun in case the enemy team's jungler tries to gank you. So before you farm your Q, your mana should be around 160-210. UNLESS you are saving up your mana for a gank.
Veigar's mana regen is increased by 0.5% for each 1% of mana missing.
Explanation:Really helpful early game while you're farming your Q. Look to previous chapter for more details.
Q: Baleful Strike
Active: Unleashes dark energy at target enemy dealing 80 / 125 / 170 / 215 / 260 (+60% of ability power) magic damage. If the target is killed, Veigar gains 1 ability power.
Passive: Veigar gains 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 ability power when he kills a champion from any source of damage.
Cooldown 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4seconds
Explanation:Very important skill for Veigar. The ability to farm AP every time you kill creeps with it, its just amazing to me. You should use this to farm your AP early game/laning phase. Also, when you kill a champion with any source of damage, you get AP also. Late game, this skill should be used to harass, since it has low cooldown especially if you have blue. Very efficient harass while running.
W: Dark Matter
After 1.2 seconds, dark matter falls from the sky to the target location, dealing 120 / 170 / 220 / 270 / 320 (+100% of ability power) magic damage.
Cost 100 / 110 / 120 / 130 / 140mana
Explanation:This skill is your 2nd most powerful ability. It does 100% of ability power. So if you had 650 AP, it would do 320+650=970 damage. This skill is 100% ability power because it affects a small area and takes 1.2seconds to land. Using this right after you land your stun on enemies are very efficient way of hitting it. If you catch 2 or more enemy champions with your stun and they're very close to each other, they will both take damage. Also, late game you would use this on creeps to farm faster. This skill can potentially steal baron if timing is perfect since its long range.
E: Event Horizon
Active: Veigar twists the edges of space around the target location for 3 seconds, stunning enemies who pass through the perimeter for 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 / 2.25 / 2.5 seconds.
Cooldown 24 / 22 / 20 / 18 / 16seconds
Cost 80 / 95 / 110 / 125 / 140mana
Explanation:Probably one of the most important and hard skill to fully master. Using this correctly will decide team fights. Potential to stun ALL enemy champions for 2.5 seconds. This is used for defense and offense. You will dive with this skill, and escape with this skill. You will trap enemies in this, or stun them. Many ways you can use this stun effectively. Also used to help land your .
R: Primordial Burst
Blasts an enemy champion, dealing 250 / 375 / 500 (+120% of ability power) plus 80% of his target's AP in magic damage.
Cooldown 130 / 110 / 90seconds
Cost 150 / 200 / 250mana
Explanation:Probably one of the most highest damage dealing ult in the game especially if your target has high AP. This is used to dealing enemies half health of finishing off enemies. 120% of ability power. Which i find absurd because if you have 500 AP, at level 3, it would do 500+600=1100 damage to the enemy IF they have no AP and if they have high AP, it would do even more. This is a great skill used AGAINST any enemy that has high AP.
Deadliest Combo Out There
And Veigar has it
Veigar has a ridiculous combo that deals massive damage to ANYchampion. Even more damage to high AP champions. Basically, It is
+ + + + And is optional.If you think you need it. Here's the idea.
Now, one small but key thing to jot down is that your must come down as SOON as your hits. That way, more damage is dealt. So, to make sure you get this down. Step by Step.
After that, if your stun hits, Use on them.
Immediately after that, use .
This requires finger speed. If you can't do it fast enough, practice with bots and get it down.
When you master it, you can even land an autoattack between and As you can see.
Early Game/Lane PhaseVeigar's early game is not so good. All you can do and should do is just farm your Q up. LAND YOUR STUNS ON BOTH CHAMPIONS IF YOU'RE GETTING GANKED TO GUARENTEE ESCAPE
Reaching level 5
After reaching level 5, you should harass with Q once in a while. Not too offensive, dont make it seem like you're looking to kill. Try to harass 40% or 50% of their hp till level 6. Now, when you reach level 6, you've got control over the lane, assuming you can land your stun. If enemy keeps their distance, try to zone out and farm Q's more. Make sure to keep an eye out for their jungler. If enemy DOESNT keep their distance, land your stun and burst down with +Autoattack.
- One small but key thing to try to do during a level 6-8 kill is to land an auto attack. This will do around 40-50 dmg and helps out ALOT. You dont know how many times i didnt autoattack thinking i've killed them and the enemy escaped with under 30 hp. But if you're 100% you can burst down, don't worry about the autoattack.
Now, the scenario may not be like this. You can be getting harassed way too much and the enemy may be zoning you out, leaving you to miss out your farms on Q and experience, in most cases, it IS like this. This is where the next chapter comes in handy.
Veigar can gank HARD
Veigar's ganks are phenomenal. An area of effect stun with 3 nukes. This guarantees a kill if you get off your stun.
Ganking bottom is hard, you need to know where the enemy support has warded and you need to ask your bottom lane where they have warded. Assuming you know where they warded, you come in with the element of surprise and can potentially stun both of them ( Enemy AD and support). This would most likely result to be a successful gank.
Ganking top is hard also, theres mostly 2 places where the enemy top player could have warded. The tribush or the river. Now, if they warded river, you should come in through mid and straight to the tribush. Coming in through mid will mean you would have to go through the enemy team's jungle if you're on team purple(team 2), so be careful, know where the enemy jungler is, and take your own chances. All I'm saying is that most of Veigar's gank come out successful, IF you know how to enter the lane.
These ganks would not be possible if enemy mid calls out "mia" meaning you're gone from lane and that they will be expecting you to come gank. Again, take your chances with this.
Communication Between You and Your Jungler
- The communication between you and your jungler is probably one of the most important things in the early game of Veigar. As you know, theres a lot of champions that counter Veigar. I wont get into naming champions now but there is. Lets use for an example. Say that she outharasses you and zones you out ( in most cases she DOES). When she harasses you and disables your farm, she also pushes the lane. This is when you ask for a gank from your jungler. When she is on your side of the map rather than hers, ganks will be easy.(Again, assuming that you can land your stun). So you need to keep letting your jungler know if she's pushing and zoning. Basically, your jungler is like your ANGEL in early game IF you're starting to lose your lane.
- Another good reason why it's important is because Veigar's mana is poor, even with mana regen runes, you run out of mana pretty quickly while farming your Q's. Now, if you tell your jungler that you need blue, and get blue, mana is not a problem anymore. With blue, you can harass, farm, zone your lane. Veigar with blue is like a car with an good engine.
Mid GameMid game is where Veigar shines. By mid game, veigar should have a decent amount of AP. You should be roaming around when you can. Also, keep farming Q's whenever possible even if the game is looking like it would finish early. Sometimes teams make comebacks and thats where your extra Q farm comes in handy. Also, in my experiences, mid game is where Veigar just dominates team fights, bursts down enemy players, carry the game. So most of my Veigar games end in mid game. Some games around 1/4 of my games actually go to late game. Also, veigar can clear lanes pretty quickly with and . So farming GOLD is fast. So it's expected to have your . If you are doing bad and havent gotten your rabadon yet, you can at least burst down enemy AP champions. Then after rabadon's look at enemy champ's items and champions to choose your items. You should be playing aggressive if you are plannning to win
Late GameLate game is where Veigar should be most careful. You should be staying behind your team. Veigar dies in an instant in late game team battles, especially if they have champs like (silence) if they get their disables off, you're dead. Just make sure you are protected by your team. If the enemy team targets you way too much and dives you often, stay far behind team and let your team initiate first. Then you come in after the enemy team used some or most of their disables and your chances of dying decrease. Then you can just pick champs off. If your team REALLY needs you to be in the fight from beginning to finish, then i suggest building more defensive items such as . Oh, also Veigar does CRAZY damage. 1k dmg from , 1.2k from to AP champs and possibility of stunning 3-5 enemy players in team fights. My biggest suggestion is that late game, you stick with your team and do not and i mean DO NOT travel alone and get caught. If you get caught late game and die, your team just lost about 40-50% of the dmg dealing powers. The enemy team will basically rape your team without you and end game possibly.
Team FightsBefore Team Fights, Veigar should be able to poke pretty dam hard. Be careful when trying to stun, make sure that after you stun, that you are in a good position to run away or not get caught because as soon as you stun, the enemy team might try to dive you. Assuming you can land your stun, you stun, and to whoever you catch with your stun and it will deal CHUNKS. Or if you happen to catch their AP and you're pretty farmed up, you can nuke their AP in one shot. If you get your stun off really good, it could decide team fights, especially if you have teammates like
And don't forget to do the combo that I showed you. The Deadliest combo out there.
Oh also, when you use your
[imgsmall=items/deathfire-grasp.png . Everything will be on cooldown. While you wait for the cooldowns to be over, spam and run around. While you're running around, this is where the MS runes and masteries come in handy. Then, when is ready, you can just do a combo of ++ and continue the same thing. I'm assuming you know who to focus/target. If you don't, you target the enemy AP first. If the enemy AP fears you, and stays back, Then i recommend you focus the AD assuming their AD doesn't stay back as much as their AP. You could probably one shot their AD little help from your teammates WITHOUT using your ult . Then after, if you get the chance to hurt their AP, use your on em. After that, your team can and probably will take care of their jungler, top, support. If they can't, then help them of course.
Item LessonHow to pick between .
- If enemy team has long disables that result in your death such as, , , and a MUST item against and his ult
- If enemy team tends to burst you down with few disables, very useful against champions like assuming your team is nearby when you pop this.
- If it feels like you're lacking MR and HP, and enemy team has initiating skills that could catch you such as
Picking the right item can mean the difference between winning or losing team fights. You can get caught, bait your team to run in after you. OR you can get caught, get out of the disable, and bait their team. Works many ways.
[Items to NOT get]
There are items that people get with Veigar thinking they're good but really is NOT.
You should not get these items.
Heres the explanation.
- This also, gives one more burst source with your auto attack. You won't have time to land auto attacks late game. Plus, it doesn't give a lot of AP, and it costs alot. You could be buying much better items than that. Frankly, it's just a waste of item slot.
- I'm not against this item but for this guide, and with these Masteries and runes, not a good item. Again, better items you could be buying than this.
- Just no. To tell you, I've experimented with this item before more than once. You don't heal as much as you think you would. Plus, if Veigar gets caught and dies, hes gonna die. will not save him. And again, it's just a waste of gold and item slot.
[The 2 MUST get items]
- Provides another source of burst So, amazing item for Veig.
I don't even need to explain why. 40% more ability power. With Veig's Q farm, and other AP items, this would rocket your AP.
Also, one more item i want to mention.
- Is important against a team with good MR. I recommend getting this item anyway even if they don't have much MR. At least one of the enemy players always get MR. Even if you do get this, you would still penetrate 30+ MR against champions who absolutely didn't get any MR. So, a good item to buy. Cheap also!.
Matchups- Laning phase- Ahri is pretty average to lane with. As long as you can dodge her and , you'll do fine( especially with ms runes). She's also hard to kill or gank after level 6 because to her ult. So i recommend calling for ganks before she reaches 6. She can use her ult to chase, or run away.
Late Game- Late game and during team battles Ahri picks down champions slowly by slowly. She usually doesnt burst very much. Ahri is a very good chaser, so if you want to kill her in team fights, catch her with a stun and burst her down with help from your teammates. If you don't, shes a hassle in teamfights.
- Laning phase- Even though most akalis go top, if you happen to match up with an akali mid, you should take advantage of your range attack. Everytime she comes to minions for cs, land 1 or 2 auto attacks( make sure you pay attention to your cs too). Don't let her get close to you. Her and really hurts. She's hard to gank early because of her so if you want a gank on her, make sure you bait her W before your jungler moves in.
Late Game- Late game Akali will completely dominate you unless you catch her with a stun and burst her down. Before team fights, make sure u know the whereabouts of akali before dropping your stun. Getting caught without your stun will lead to your death against akali.
- Lane Phase- Anivia is definitely a hard champ to lane against if the player is good. Her egg makes it hard for you to decide if u want to waste ignite or not. Usually, Veigar will need ignite to burst the enemy down, but anivia has egg. One thing that i recommend is that if her egg is up, make sure you go for the kill with your jungler nearby, so you and your jungler can kill her egg also. Also, her stun is easy to dodge if you keep your distance. When she reaches level 6, she can do a lot of dmg with combo R-E. ProTip: Don't let Anivia get close to you. Her + + ,= massive dmg and its easy to do that combo if she's close to you.
Late Game- A fed Anivia usually becomes tanky, and high burst dmg late game. I recommend stunning her only if shes in team fight and she's vulnurable or alone. It's not worth it to dive stun and burst her because of passive(egg). Also, her walls catch people off guard often. She can block many pathways and seperate teams. Make sure you keep that in mind.
- Lane Phase- Annie is very hard to lane with, especially if she's aggressive with her stun. You can't win burst battle with her if you're under 6. After reaching level 6, its a matter of you hitting your stun right on her to kill/ win fight because if you miss your stun, she will burst you down. So, whoever stuns first, wins:).
Late Game- Late game Annie is not that great unless she's fed. Although, she has the potential of stunning the whole team with her or . Other than that, she's really squishy and you could probably kill her with one burst. One other thing, Annie with lots of hp and AP is good against melee ad champs like because she returns massive damage back . ProTip: Expect her to flash stun if you're low enough.
Lane Phase- Brand is kinda like Annie in a way, if he hits you with , he can stun you and burst you down from there. I recommend expecting his Pillars of Flame and try to dodge it. ProTip: Look at his AP and approximate how much dmg he can do if he catches you with stun and burst+ignite and try to stay above that health, if under, play careful.
Late Game- Brand's ult is dangerous late game if you and your team are bunched up together. Try to spread out, or at least start spreading out as soon as he ults because the travel time is relatively slow.
Lane Phase- Laning against a good Cassiopeia is hard. She can harass with , which is about the same range as your Q and if she catches you with Q, she can harass with her ) crazy. The cooldown of her fangs reduce to 0.5 if she hits you with it while you are poisoned. So if you get hit with her Q, keep your distance till it wears off. ProTip: A sign of Cass getting ready to kill you is when she starts walking towards you for close range. Unless you can burst her down, run away if she comes at you.
Late Game- Cass late game is dangerous, she can ult an entire team and disable/slow them. So just watch out for that.
Lane Phase- Fizz, Fizz, Fizz. Fizz is an ANTI-VEIGAR if played correctly. Fizz can dodge your stuns with 2 spells, his and so landing your stun on him is pretty dam hard. He can assassinate you pretty well too. Watch for his ult, and try to dodge if possible. I recommend playing super defensive with him, and bait him to use his and and let your jungler gank him.
Late Game Fizz late game still counters Veigar hard. Just stay back till you see Fizz and are safe to join the team fight. Fizz can one shot you, even if he's not that fed. If u happen to stun him after his , make sure you burst him down.
Lane Phase- Gragas mid is mostly chill. All you need to do is keep your distance if you're low and dodge his barrels . If he gets close enough to melee cs, autoattack him if you want to farm your . After he reaches 6, watch out for his ult . If he lands it correctly, you will be thrown back far from your tower and make it easy for him and their jungler to kill you. I suggest you focus on farm, because Gragas has good sustain.
Late Game- Gragas' ult can be deadly, it has far range and can turn around a team fight QUICK if landed correctly. You could think of it as a Janna's ult.
- Not much to say about Heimer. If he pushes with turrets, ask for gank from jungler. Make sure you stay 3 creeps away from him because of his Laser .
- Lane Phase- Karthus is really easy to lane against. You just have to play smart. Stay away from his Q range. Farm up till level 6, and you can burst him down easily. Karthus is a squishy champion. Karthus has a good slow wall , expect his wall and you can run around it. If you do get hit by it, you will take some decent damage plus
Late Game- There are different styles of Karthus that people play. Zombie karth, where they go all AP with and jump into team fights doing a lot of dmg before dying, and after dying, they drop ult. Or people go normal karth. In team fights, if you and your team kill karth, make sure you get away from the area where he died or you will take alot of damage. ProTip: Karthus' ult tends to catch people off guard when they're low and he picks up free kills. Getting OR is a smart choice.
- Lane Phase- A good Kass player is definetely hard to lane against. The first 3-4 levels are relatively easy. From then, he can harass you with which also silences you for a long time. He also has a aoe slow . So, A slow and a silence from one champion is pretty tough to deal with, especially if their jungler is there. Be wary of where their jungler is. After Kass reaches level 6, it's hard to gank or even kill him. He can use his ult offensively and defensively. Make sure you ask for gank before he's 6 since it will be much easier.
Late Game- How well a Kass does late game depends deeply on his early game. So if you had shut him down with consecutive ganks and kills, you won't have to worry about him late game. But, if you didn't, Kass is dangerous. In team fights, make sure you know the whereabouts of kass before you get in it. He usually comes in, uses Q,E and ults away. Disables, taunts, stuns or silences counter Kass hard. Champions like are good to have on your team vs Kass.
- Lane Phase- Laning with a katarina is hard especially with Veigar because you can't trade with Kat early. She uses in + and autoattack. To avoid that, you have to stay completely back, and that often zones you from getting exp or farm. I suggest just asking for ganks from your jungler, or just try to outplay, like stun her under tower.
Late game- Late game Kat depends if she's farmed or not. She should be main target in team fights, since she has most potential of penta killing teams. Make sure you or teammates stun or disable her when she ults. MOST favorable teammates against Kat are .
- Lane Phase- Laning with kennen is not so bad. Just stay behind creeps for his . For ganks, make sure you don't have to chase him far, meaning make sure you get your stun off because he can run away easily with and . ProTip: Kennen has the potential to double stun you if you have 2 charges of electricity on you, that would make it very easy for a gank.
Late Game- Kennen does well in team fights, his ult is dangerous in team fights. Your team should be a bit split up, and ready for kennen's ult in at all times
- Lane Phase- Leblanc is one of counters for Veigar. She can harass effective without taking dmg with + combo. If you're low enough, she can kill you with ++ easily if you don't have flash up. Then when she reaches 6, she can one shot you easily with all her skills if she lands . She's also hard to gank because she can escape easily with . You would just have to pick between farming or harassing with her with it, whichever you wanna do. Ask for ganks if you're getting zoned/denied.
Late Game- Even an unfed Leblanc can one shot Veigar late game. You have to be super careful of where Leblanc is during team fights. Your team should focus her first. If you catch her with a stun, make sure you follow that up with burst and kill. Leblanc can chase OR escape easily with + combo. She's easy to kill if she's disabled and burst down.
- Laning Phase- Fairly an easy champion to lane against. Expect where he's going to use and dodge it easily. If he gets close enough to use before level 6, trade with him. Land +autoattack+ and move around if he uses . Although, after reaching level 6, he can get good ganks with his ult if their jungler is there. So, after he reaches 6, don't try to trade so much. Dont push the lane. If their jungler is there and he catches you with his ult, you are most likely dead.
Late Game- Late game malz usually ends up a bit tanky with . In team fights, target him first. Remember, your stun range is longer than his ult range. So, catch him with a stun and burst him down. Also, you really can't 1v1 malz if he has his ult up, UNLESS you can land a stun followed by your burst. ProTip: Don't stand next to dying creeps with on it.
- Lane Phase- Laning against a good morde is definitely hard. He can harass with . He usually zones AP ranged champions mid if played correctly. I suggest farming your and asking for a gank because he has no escape skills other than . Morde tends to be tanky because his passive. So if you're gonna harass, make sure his passive bar is low enough so that you would do damage.
Late Game- Late game morde carries. If your team's AD is doing really good, and if Morde kills your AD with his ult , watch out for his ghost, because it is basically turning 5v5 into a 6v4 fight.
- Laning Phase- Laning with Morgana is relatively easy if you can dodge her . If she catches you with it, she can drop and it does decent damage to you. Beware of getting caught if their jungler is nearby, if you get caught=dead. Morgana can dodge your stun with spell shield . So, if you're planning to stun her, make sure spell shield is on cooldown OR catch her right on the edge with your stun. She's dangerous after 6, because if she catches you with Q, she can stun you again with her ult.
Late Game- Morgana's ult late game can change teamfights. She deals damage first to all champions nearby, slows them, then stuns them if they're still in range. Most morganas get which makes her ult more deadly and you can't burst her down before her ult stuns. Make sure to keep an eye for her items. Also, her initiates fights well. So don't get caught and keep your distance.
- Laning Phase- Laning with Ryze is hard. Ryze has very low cooldown on his . So i recommend not trading with him till you've reached level 6 or you're getting a gank. Ryze usually zones Veigar. So don't push the lane and ask for a gank from your jungler and ganks are easy because he has no escape skills. If he's doing good, make sure you shut him down or do better than him.
Late Game- Late game fed ryze can CARRY hard. Because he is an AP champion who doesn't need much AP, he gets mana items. Now, most mana items are defensive items. Ryze tends to be very beefy and tanky, while doing a shitload of damage with low cooldown. If he gets spell vamp, he is VERY hard to kill late game. If your team is planning to kill him first, make sure you disable and burst him down before he is able to do anything. He should be main priority in team fights. Now, if he's not fed or doing horrible, you can probably kill him alone with your burst and you'll probably need .
- Laning Phase- Laning against a good Swain can be hard. His is predictable and easy to dodge. If he doesn't use to harass, then he would harass with and . I usually just farm instead of harass while laning against Swain. Then, after you both reach level 6, assuming that you started harassing from level 5, you can kill swain with your burst. When he ults , make sure to use because it is REALLY helpful killing Swain.
Late Game- Swain late game doesnt do much damage, but he becomes really tanky because of items like , , , So, if you and your team are planning to kill him, drop ignite and burst him down before allowing his ult to heal.
- Laning Phase- Make sure you dodge his since it is really easy. He can push lanes easily and if he does, ask for a gank from your jungler. He doesn't have any escape skills. When he reaches level 6, make sure to let your team know he's 6 because he can gank easily with his ult As soon as he starts heading top or bot, warn your teammates.
Late Game- Don't run around alone with low hp. TF WILL GET YOU. TF is usually squishy. So, you can burst Tf down. He pokes really well before teamfights with . Unless your team has a better poke, don't stall team fights. Always be aware of his ult. You can drop your stun on him before he teleports in with his ult.
- Lane Phase- Laning with a good Viktor can be hard. One good way to dodge his is to move in an unpredictable way. When he drops , make sure you don't stay in that or it will stun you. When he reaches level 6, his ult has a silence so i don't recommend trying to 1v1 him. He will completely shut you down. So unless you are absolutely 100% sure that you can get him with a stun and burst him down in a second, DONT 1v1.
Late Game- Viktor can let his ult follow you from far range, dealing tons of damage, but it travels slow so don't get caught in it. Other than that, just try to kill him first if possible.
- Laning Phase- Vlad has very good sustain and harass with his but it has a relatively long cooldown in level 1,2,3. If you think you can harass him more than you, go ahead. But he can escape easily with . Before you get a gank from your jungler, make sure you bait him to use pool. Also, is a good tool against him.
Late Game- Vlad tends to have alot of HP because of his passive or build. is a very effective item against him. Make sure your team is spread out enough so he doesn't catch alot with his ult . If you're planning to kill him, try to burst him down because he can heal back up relatively quickly. Keep in mind that Vlad can dodge your all of your skills with pool.
- Laning Phase- Xerath can harass from long range with +, so expect where he's using it and dodge it. He also has a stun if he hits you with + which makes ganks on you easy. After he reaches level 6, he can hit stun easily with his ult . Also, his ult has a ridiculously long range with . He can burst with 5 damage source and it is a dangerous combo. ++++
Late Game- If Xerath comes in close for you to stun, take advantage and try to get your stun off and burst down. If not, he will usually stay far behind his team. So you don't have many options to get him. Smart to let teammates get him. Good champions to assassinate Xerath are .
UPDATESLast patch they've changed blue buff's mana regen to half. This changes alot with AP champs who rely on blue. Fortunately, with Veigar i find it fine. The mana regen from blue stacks with Veig's passive . So keep your mana a bit low and you won't have a hard time with running out of mana with blue. :)
Streaming now at http://www.twitch.tv/ikarry
Since last patch, DFG changed. You will need a and for it now. I still get DFG. Its just a little weaker early game, and late game its actually even stronger. Also, the range on it is increased which is good, you wont need to run much after ur stun to use it. Before, was great for farming Q, now you might have some trouble farming your Q up. Overall, weaker early game, stronger late game. Still get it.
So there has been another patch of nerfing the DFG. It has been nerfed pretty badly, no more cd reduction and its just terrible now. Now I would recommend finishing DeathCap first before buying DFG, where its most effective.
DFG has been changed a while ago, didn't have time to update. So I would now finish DFG before rabadons. It gives CDR now for faster Q farm.
Final CommentsAs I've shown you throughout this guide, Veigar definitely has cons. I've shown you how to adjust or "fix" his cons up a bit. Veigar is a deadly asset if played efficiently and correctly. I hope you try this guide when playing Veigar, and i hope you like it. To me, knowing the full potential of a great Veigar, I believe that Veigar is the strongest and deadliest AP champions in the game. Most people don't see that. I will say this, if you disagree with any of my build, runes, or masteries, especially why i don't max Dark matter first, i suggest you actually try them out first before judging. If you still disagree with it, then i guess that's not the play style you want. I'm just saying what i have on this guide are whats best, from my experience of course. I hope to see more Veigar players because i don't see him that often, and it just shows how people don't realize how strong he is. If there's any questions that you want answered quickly, add me on LOL:iKarry and ask me,and i will be glad to answer questions. Also, if there's any changes made to Veigar or any champions that involves him, for example Ahri getting buffed, i will make notes of it on this guide and give my opinion.