IntroductionThe goals of this guide are:
- Explain What ARAM is
- Explain what the Poving Grounds is
- Help to teach you how to play ARAM on Proving Grounds
- Explain the ARAM Meta(it is complex and random)
- Help players to cope with playing
- Help players to do their best to ultimately win the game.
What is "ARAM"
ARAM stands for "All Random All Mid". This game was a game of merit, where players would play random games on Summoner's Rift and only play in the middle lane. It became insanely popular and when Dominion came out, it adapted to dominion as "ARAB" which is "All Random All Bottom" where players would only go into the bottom lane. Players had to adhere to certain rules like no backing, buying or healing under normal circumstances.
Eventually so many people played it and loved it, that we began asking for it to be made its own game type, and we asked for the one lane tutorial map, "The Proving Grounds" to be adapted for the game type. Well we got what we asked for, and with it, no more cheaters(although people still dodge if they don't like what champion they get)!
Where is it played?
Some people still prefer to play on Summoner's rift, however this makes for slower games where cheating CAN and WILL occur. You can also play it on The Proving Grounds, and this map is what this guide focuses on.
The Proving Grounds and Rules
The Proving Grounds
On The Proving Grounds we get the best of ARAB and ARAM and on top of that cheating isn't possible unless you hack the game... Don't hack the game.
- The Proving Grounds starts you off with 1375 gold to spend. This is a lot of gold. Like other maps you don't start gaining passive gold until minions spawn.
- Beware!Once you go beyond your base(past the inhibitor tower) you will be unable to use the shop again until you die.
Blue barrier preventing you from using the shop
- Minions Spawn at 1 minute
- There are two health relics on each side of the map for each team located in front of each tower.
- There is a persistent global aura that effects all players, this aura is also seen on the Crystal scar, giving experience, increased gold gain, increased mana regeneration and reduction on healing effects.
- The spawning platform has a laser turret, however it will not give you health and mana back like on summoner's rift.
- There are two bushes on the left side of the map
- This is Barrier, a summoner spell that grants you a temporary shield. It is only usable on The Proving Grounds at the moment. Consider using this spell, it is very viable and used almost as much as flash is on SR! Its so new the TSM site doesn't even have it in stock for their guides(no offense)!
ItemsLike any map, there are certain things you do and are expected to do to help your team and yourself. However in this game, some of them may not make any sense at first, but I will be able to help you understand why we do these things.
Items are generally not used the same as on other maps. You are building in a way that benefits from the way you should play to win.
- Buy health potions early game if you can
- Buy lifesteal/spellvamp/health regen
On this map mages should start one of a few ways. These are some standard options, however it depends on your ally champions and the enemy champions what you want to pick.
- and or
- As time goes on and I see and try more starting builds I will update this section.
- These are just build suggestions that do well most of the time on most champions. Some champions have strange starts that are better for them. I leave it up to the reader to find out those fringe situations. Sorry!
MetaOh no! I used "meta". Well the game has changed and this is a metagame of LoL within ARAM for Proving Grounds. It is a goofy one because it changes each game somewhat. I guess you could say it is a metameta...That is your queue to laugh.
Although some things are never going to be the same, here are the basics.
- The game will be short. Although the surrender time is 20 minutes, you will find yourself winning or losing sooner than that a lot of the time. The game is fast, it lasts 15-25 minutes on average. I say this because you shouldn't hold onto your forever. If you feel the game is going bad for your team, or it is about even, upgrade it now for an upper hand! Don't hold onto items for a long time. If you need room now, sell that NOW. etc. etc. so on and so forth.
- Mages are the best. Keep this in mind. Mages are in a really good spot with this game for a few reasons.
- Global mana regeneration aura allows them to spam more and be on par with AD champions who auto attack
- spells are long range. Longer range than most auto attacks. Thus they can whittle away at enemies better than AD champions
- mages also pack utility or combo really well. This normally wouldn't be so important, but because you start at level 3, any mage can pull off a full combo at the start of the game
- all of the above let mages get early kills and snowball
However, like the normal game, if the game goes on for long enough, AD champions will shine even more, but without enough gold, holding off for 30 minutes may not be enough.
- AOE is OP! Anyone with good AOE will wreck. If you are thinking Lux right now, yes, lux is really strong. AOE is good because everyone is forced into the same lane, and it is easier to hit someone with an AOE spell. It also is good because you are most likely going to have a better time pushing the lane.
- Get executed!
- Push the lane
- Relic blocking
- Bush Rush
- Supports don't support
- 4-5 melee champion teams are bad
Champion DetailsAlthough it varies from team to team, some champions are better played in unusual ways from what we normally see in SR.
Q_Q mummy used to be a great choice as an AP CC bursty mage. However riot saw how that caused issues, so his AP ratios are less strong. So at this point his tank build outshines his AP build in ARAM unless you really have a ton of CC and tankiness already, you could get away with AP.
Cho gath is a really good tank. Normally he builds AP tanky similar to singed. However sometimes you may want to build him with a lot more AP and with some extra cooldown reduction. Landing rupture is vital to winning with him, and having it do damage is worth it.
Eve still sucks on this map. She can't sneak up on people most of the time unless you have taken down a tower. She needs to build beefier than normal to live through team fights. Once late game comes though she should be okay if you near full build.
Ezreal is STRONG. He ults at any point and he can push the lane, and also end up hitting the enemy most of the time. Just so strong. He can go AP or AD, both are fine here, AP scales his ultimate much better. Hybrid might be viable(or even the best), but I have yet to get him and try it out yet. If your team has good pushing power go AP for better damage against the enemy champions. Go AD if your team has no pushing power or if no one else is AD.
Get 5 tiamats and boots I'm not kidding...
This is a choice you can take. tiamat damage stacks on her ultimate and since everyone is clustered up, her ultimate can pull off some aces that will infuriate the enemy. However if you don't feel like being a tiamat jerk, play her normally.
He is the meta breaker. I only want to mention him because foolish people tend to stack Magic resist on him even if the enemy has no AP champions. Don't do that. Treat him like a tank. If you are winning, you should consider getting at least 1 AP item. Otherwise be as tanky as you can like normal. Get Athene's unholy grail on him. It gives him tons of AP and the passive is a must so he can spam spells.
HE IS NOT A TANK. Build some attack damage or something. Tank garen is about as useful as AP riven except he steals kills.
Build her like a glass cannon mage.
Building her hybrid here is easier than on SR, and it does really well, you get the pros of being a mage and the pros of being an AD carry. However, when in doubt, play her AD carry.
Build him AP with and . If your team has no AD and/or too much AP, then you should go AD carry. His ultimate as AP is really strong so AP is normally the best.
Build her as an on hit champion, as AD lulu or as AP lulu. She is very flexible. She is godlike with a teemo on your team. Just take note that she is like other supports, build her like a mage and you are pretty safe.
Build him like a tank, but you can actually build him as a tanky DPS or as a tanky mage. If you build him tanky mage, you can do good poke with his seismic shard, and his ultimate is out of this world with AP. Tanky DPS malphite is good at doing his part in a team fight if you need that edge with some more AD. However if your team lacks CC and tankiness just build full on tank.
AP master Yi is iconic to ARAM. This is where he shines. He has stupidly overpowered sustain with his heal. He can alpha strike for tons of damage into fights to start them, and meditate while he gets hit, and often times still comes out of it with more HP. Go AD yi if you have a team full of AP champions that have no other build options for a balanced team.
HE IS NOT A TANK. He is an AP mage, build him like one.
Nasus is really hard to play, he can't farm his Q so he isn't as strong. Some people build him as a tanky mage, however you are safe building him like you normally would too.
AP nidalee is strong under a few conditions.
- You are good at landing her spear
- your team can push lane really well, clearing creeps so you can spear better
- You think the game won't go to a point where the enemy AD can own you or the tanks can easily eat spears.
- Your team lacks AP champions and has at least 1 ad carry
Nid is dependent on her team a lot. I hate seeing people play AP nid against a tanky team or with a team that can't clear out minions. Buiser nid is a good choice more often than you would think.
Nocturne is not very good here. Like eve he relies on showing up to exploit overextended, weak and alone enemies. On this map he has very very few chances to use his ultimate. Most of the time the enemy is all within vision of each other anyhow. Its usually only good to clean up team fights or to get into them if you just respawned. In strange situations where an enemy is near your tower while your team is on the enemy side, you can use it to catch people trying to get executed.
Go AP unless your team is all squishbags and do this(empire nunu style):
Rammus is like the worst ARAM champion early game, but devestating with the right items. SInce this game is all about AP, don't be afraid to get 2 or more . Early game you need to sit back and play it safe. even though he is a tank, early-mid game you want to let someone else initiate then come in and use your spells to disrupt the team. Level up the Defensive shell or taunt first.
Don't go AP shaco. End of story.
Singed can go more AP than tanky here mid game if you are doing well enough to warrant it.
AD sion is better. I bet you thought I was going to say "Go AP unless you have enough AP already". Nope its quite the opposite. AP sion is shut down too easily here, 5 people burst him and he loses his shield and thus all his good AP damage. Even if your team is all AD, AP sion is still pretty weak for a choice unless the enemy can't stun or slow you AP isn't a smart choice.
She does good getting AP items, but she should still pick up all the aura items. and are AP items but still provide an aura. Her heals become very powerful as AP.
Go AP. Sometimes tanky AP soraka is good if the enemy can kill you really fast or CC you hard. Soraka is kind of squishy.
Build him tanky %90 of the time. If your team is already too tanky, take him as a top lane style tanky dps, or if you really must for whatever reason, AP taric...I don't suggest it though.
Teemo can pretty much do whatever he wants.
- AP teemo can shroom the relic points. If your team gets them yay, if the enemy team gets it, they lose more health than they gain when they hit the mushroom. AP teemo hurts early/mid, and mid/late his shrooms stop enemy pushes dead in their tracks.
- AD carry teemo is strong as heck. early game you can auto attack once on people to apply the poison for good damage and later on you can just chase or escape anything for easy kills. He is super mobile. Start with boots on him if you can.
- on hit teemo. Is powerful with lulu. It isn't the safest build, but in some cases it cane be powerful.
- Tankmo yeah this is funny and if you have no one else to tank, do it. Core item on tankmo is
Because of the reduced healing passive on the map vlad may seem like a crummy champion to get. However he is actually extremely powerful. His core items should be and. If you have another person going AP, beg them to also get a WIll of the Ancients to increase your healing and AP further. Because of how sustain is superior on this map, Vlad is king.
Don't build him as a pure tank
Don't build magewick
Build him AP! He will probably still need a lot of mana regen to be spammy. I suggest the doran ring or tear of the goddess start.
ConclusionARAM is a great game. It is there for you to just have fun without worrying about strict meta guidelines that limit the champion you should play. It is a fun game, but that doesn't mean it isn't a place to troll or be a jerk. Too often I see "its only ARAM" for an excuse as to why someone trolls, feeds, or quits. ARAM has been and still is gaining popularity, and soon we may get matchmaking for it if the vocal community keeps asking for it.
I hope this guide is useful to help you get started in ARAM. I will try to add more things that I missed if people point things out that I forgot. If you have any suggestions to improve this guide, please leave them and I will consider them. This is my second guide and I hope you enjoy the help I provided.