IntroductionHi guys, my nickname is Osgorath and im a +2400 solo top player (EU West) who has been recently playing almost only Jayce since the release. He is a really strong character, with more pros than cons and there is few people who actually know how to play good with him. He offers a good burst, not bad sustain dmg, aoe speed buff (shurelya 2.0 lmao), knockback, aoe slow and a armor/magic shred debuff that can be really useful.
This is my first guide and im doing it because a lot of people ask me how I succeed with him. Please be gentle as English is not my mother language and you might find some odd words.
Here you got my profile so you can check my Jayce stats:
Why this masteries?
With the actual nerfs to thundering blow and the magic penetration from the offense tree, I find that I needed to do a great change to the mastery trees. So you now deal less damage and your gate wastes more mana, so I find that those early 3 points in mana regen are way too useful to skip and you need to build pure damage items, that made my reconsider going full deep into offense.
Executioner got buffed as well, now deals more damage when the enemy is below 50% hp, which is really good for our poking style.
- Reds: You might think something like: Hey, if you run armor pen reds you will be doing more damage mid to lategame and you are right, but Jayce has one big problem : Extremely low level 1 attack damage (53 ad lvl 1 while renekton for example has 59). It is a really pain to lasthit with such a low damage, and you end up missing a lot of cs because you also have to harras and change from cannon to hammer. With 15 attack damage you will lasthit better, harras better and do more early damage (lvl 3 to 9) with your + combo (cannon stance).
- Yellows: Quite simple, you are going top lane facing melee characters, you need to outrade them with some armor (if you are facing an ap champion you can go more ad)
- Blues: This runes are the standard because a lot of top characters use some magic damage on theyr spells, and that flat MR gives you nice early defense
- Quints: Same as reds, if you didnt read : Early damage > all
This is a must have spell on a lot of characters, and Jayce is one of them. You can scape from hardcore gankers and you can also do tricky moves like a lee sin to knockback enemies to your mates.
I prefer running ignite because it helps you shut down enemies like Irelia, Nidalee or every enemy you just need to add some extra damage to your burst, but you can consider running exhaust if you're team lacks one.
Jayce gains 40 movement speed for 1.25 seconds and ignores unit collision each time Transform is cast.
ExplanationYou move faster, thas's it, so you should be spamming this like a madman everytime it is available when you are travelling. It also helps you poke better when you come out the brushes (nidalee reloaded)
- To the Skies!
Jayce leaps to an enemy, dealing physical damage to his target and to enemies in the area, slowing them for 2 seconds.
- Shock Blast
Fires an orb of electricity that detonates upon hitting an enemy or reaching the end of its path, dealing physical damage to all enemies in the area of the explosion.
If Shock Blast is fired through an Acceleration Gate, the area of effect, missile speed and range will be increased, and its damage will increase by 40%.
- On hammer form you jump to the target slowing enemies in the area of the explosion, dealing some damage (not too high). It is basically used as a gap closer more than a deadly spell
- On cannon stance you launch a missile with decent range and decent early / mid damage but the great part of this spell is that if your missile passes through the acceleration gate it will deal +40% damage and boost the speed of the misile, making it a scary early-mid game spell and a nice poke spell (it reveals enemys in the brushes, you can avoid facechecking with this)
- Lightning Field
(Passive): Jayce regenerates mana each time he strikes an enemy while in Hammer Stance. (Active): Creates an electric aura, dealing magic damage over 4 seconds to nearby enemies.
- Hyper Charge
(Active): Jayce gains a burst of energy, increasing his attack speed to maximum for 3 attacks. These attacks deal varied damage depending on rank.
- On hammer stance this is basically used for early game mana regen. You lasthit on hammer stance everytime you can and it allows you to get some free mana. It is also used when you are going for an all-in duel vs the enemy champion as it gives you some free damage, but not that much.
- On cannon stance this skill makes you fire 3 auto attacks to the maximum speed but you will do less damage with every attack at early levels, so you basically use it to proc phage and to add some extra damage to fliying enemies.
- Thundering Blow
Deals magic damage equal to a base amount plus a percentage of the target's maximum health, knocking the target back a short distance. This damage is capped against monsters.
- Acceleration Gate
Deploys an Acceleration Gate for 4 seconds, increasing the movement speed of all allies who pass through it for 3 seconds. This bonus fades over the duration.
This is the spell than makes good Jayces carry games
- On hammer stance this spell gives you some NICE damage added to your burst, and as you level it up you will have less CD so if the enemy ignores you, you are going to make them pay. It also offers a nice knockback spell, like a Lee sin's ultimate. It is extremely powerful mid game and quite strong late game, but if the enemy team ends up stacking some nice MR it will fall down a bit. It is also very important to know when you can kill your enemies or you will end up saving them.
- On cannon stance this spell gives you a free shurelya to your team. It is amazing to pop this out with a shurelya and see your jungler or ap make a good move due to the impressive movement speed. It also help your team to retreat faster, allowing some risky pushes to go as planned and back safe. It also boost your Q damage, and it offers all this much with the first point. You need to max it second anyway because it lowers you're cds, and you also need the damage from hammer stance.
- Transform: Mercury Cannon
Transforms the Mercury Hammer into the Mercury Cannon, gaining new abilities and ranged attacks. The next attack in Cannon Stance reduces the enemy's armor and magic resist for 5 seconds.
- Transform: Mercury Hammer
Transforms the Mercury Cannon into the Mercury Hammer, gaining new abilities and bonus armor and magic resist. The next attack in Hammer Stance deals additional magic damage.
NOTE: You get this spell at lvl 1 but you can level it at 6-11-16 to boost it.
- On hammer stance you gain acces to the hammer abilities + your first auto attack will deal extra magic damage + you will gain bonus armor and magic resist. Nuff said, are you going manmode? go hammer stance to be tankier and it will also offer some extra burst
- On cannon stance you gain acces to the cannon abilities, you attack as a ranged character and your first auto attack will be really slow (not showed on the description) but will shred the enemies resistances. Good for poking and most important --- you should ALWAYS hit an enemy with this before going all in, Jayce is an ad caster, not a dueller.---
I almost always max Q first instead of E because you will lane safer, push harder and be able to farm while getting camped at top lane. It also offers you some nice mid-game ranged damage, making the enemy jungler think twice when it comes to counterjungle. Maxing Q first will also make the enemy think twice when he is going for cs because you can E + Q to his face and get a chunk of his HP as free harras. You can also make something i like to call Ghost harras wich is like a nidalee hiding on the brushes and throwing some spears to you're enemy while he is triying to cs.
- + or
- + +
- Sometimes you can start + if your support can ward toplane and if the enemy has no harras. This way you will deal more damage harrasing and you will be able to force some duels before. It is also good for rushing a in case your laner has some kind of soft harras.
- You are a harras boy, so you need to give some free poke with 1 or 2 hits and go back quickly. IMPORTANT Jayce is not a dueller, you cant win a duel vs ,, or any other top bruiser, so you better start with boots as it allows you to free poke the enemy and feel safe when the jungler ganks you (boots + E)
- Sometimes it is just better to start with flask + ward + 2 potions because you will last longer while laning and you ward your top lane when you think the enemy jungler is going to gank, feeling safe for a really long time so you can burn those potions. It is really situational but I use to start this way when I face aggresive top gankers such as , , etc
+ ( + ) / Situational -
You need damage and armor penetration in order to poke your enemy and be a threat when teamfight comes. I use to keep lvl 1 boots if i have to recall with the money to spend on a part of the brutalizer or a . So I just upgrade the boots if the enemy is a mobility dependant matchup and you need those resistances to deal with.
Anyway you sometimes are getting ganked early and you cant afford a whole B.F, or brutalizer, so you pick 1 or 2 to help you dominate the lane. I also used to rush because it helped me to sustain the lane forever more and be able to win the lane playing careless, but as the nerf forced me to play him rushing a BT, this is no longer viable.
// - +
- : I did some testing to this item and I didnt liked it because having a early on makes you weaker but it actually boost your mid-late damage by a lot and ables you to do consistent poke without having to steal the blue buff from your mid. You should anyway get the tear and rush for the BT + LW, just going for the muramana by then (tear should be full by this time).
- : Now that Jayce is better for poking and overall on ranged form is way more useful you will do more damage with your empowered shockblast while you are wearing this. It is then more useful for our new playstile than Triforce is so I have place it first.
-: You can choose to go warmog if your team needs some tankyness or if the enemy team have a good burst, this way you will survive to do some damage.
Your final item comes up to you, you can either build another so you will go manmode bruiser and be a force to be reckoned with, go to help you shutdown a heavy ad carry (must item vs vayne, you can also get this item before last whisper if the enemy is full of ad) or run a if you are having issues vs the enemy ap (get an early before bt and finish it after last whisper). is still an awesome items on Jayce, every stat is well used but it is now a situational last item (sadly, I love triforce). You are going to skip the triforce if you find that warmog is not going to be enough hp and you need a plus to your survival kit (double ap comp or full ad comp).
PS: If you found yourself having a brutalizer you can finish your build with black cleaver, but I dont feel this is a good early purchase at all anymore.
- Now that Jayce is more used to poke and less bruisy I had to reconsider . It is the viable option if the enemy team doesnt have a heavy CC team or they are not a full ad comp, as you will poke better with that extra CDR.
-I have tested the old + build and it doesnt work well because you take a lot of time to build the damage and you become a dummie.
What NOTto buy :
: I've seen this while smurfing and i can just say NO NO NO, you dont benefit that much from it and it is really expensive
: You get more benefit from BT because it gives you more burst and sustain and that's what Jayce is all about.
: Same as IE, you are not a former auto attacker, leave this.
: Ehm... same as above? no damage no fun.
: You do some damage with this but still not worth it because it doesnt help your burst .
: Getting an early brutalizer is good, but you will benefit more from a LW than a youmu, so sell it lategame.
: No thanks, you already push fast and not via auto attacks.
: I found myself buying this once early game because the enemy team was a full melee comp + this + will make you a living aoe man but you wont benefit from it lategame so dont get it.
: It is a nice item on a lot of characters but not on Jayce. Enemies cant flee from you because you move faster and already have a slow proc on trinity.
: It is an awesome item but again not on Jayce. It offers you nice CDR and a good amount of armor as well as the speed debuff but you should let the jungler roll this item or you will end up not dealing as much damage as intended and feeling useless lategame.
: You dont need more movement speed and offers no damage at all. I started playing Jayce with an early philo and update to this later on but changed my mind really quick.
: Aegis is for tanks / offtank bruisers and actually Jayce doesnt fit that roll. I always skip this item because he needs damage in order to be useful, and now he needs even more damage items, so this is a no no item.
BT vs Triforce
I have to remake this section because actualy BT is better than Triforce, due to the nerf on his thundering blow
: Actually rushing a brutalizer and then a bloodthirster or a straight bloodthirster it is better for Jayce, because you will poke a lot better and you need that damage to mitigate the nerf on his thundering blow (I think it is the biggest nerf to the damage of a spell ever). So you will have to play a little bit different that I used to, more like a poke-sassin and be less bruisy.
: Trinity force is still a good item on Jayce but I dont feed it a mandatory rush like I used to. You will miss some damage if you rush this item, so I recomend getting it later on, judging on the game because the sheen proc, the phage proc, the hp and the movement speed are really useful but as I said this is no longer a must have :(
As you see I find that > .
Early GameEarly game really depends on the matchup, but you should be looking for early harras. If you harras the enemy he wont be able to do an "all in" duel and this way he will loose the lane. Most important thing about Jayce is to land your combos and to not get out of mana really quick. From lvl 1 to lvl 3 you should just cast 1 or 2 Q to pop an early potion (combined with auto attack harras). Play safe, do not jump onto him with your hammer form or you will be punished hard. Try to lasthit minions with hammer stance once you lvl up your W if you can do it not getting harrased to gain some mana in order to keep the harras. Once you get lvl 5 your + (cannon stance) deals a lot of damage. If you get to land a couple of this you should be looking for the engage to force a flash or maybe get a kill with ignite. Remember, play defensive and tell your jungler that you cant duel a straight 2v2 if both enemies are 100% unless they are underleveled or similar.
Mid GameMidgame is where Jayce really shines. Once he gets to lvl +-13 he is a beast. You can + (cannon) , pass through the gate and inmediatly go for a + . This combo will deal aprox 50% of the enemy hp and you still have the speed boost to retreat to safety. After landing that combo ask your jungler for a dive or a countergank action, because one of those should be happening as he will be doomed tower hugging while you poke him from far away and some free hits as he goes for cs and you can burst him down again in some seconds. This combo is the bread and butter Jayce combo and should be used vs everyone. Do not get overconfident anyway because after that 50% you will be dealing almost no damage at all and you will loose any duel vs common top laners.
Remember: He shines midgame, look for engages, dives or force dragon / buffs, you need to get fed at this state of the game.
Tip : Try to have the enemy jungle warded, you can steal enemy buffs without beeing noticed and that will be the end of the enemy top laner.
Late GameLategame Jayce is not as strong as some top laners. You can think about Jayce like a Renekton, an AD caster with big burst and decent damage. Jayce offers much more anyway as you can protect your carry like a tank and speed buff him up if he needs to. Sometimes you just have to the enemy away from your carry and focus something else to succeed, each game depends on composition / score, you have to judge it by yourself. You have to be either farmed or fed anyway, Jayce is really item dependant. If you got camped on your lane and you couldnt score some kills on teamfight you wont be as useful as you should be. That is the reason why you should always look for engages / dives / forces to get to this state as fed as posible. If you are a bit itemized (++), try to focus the enemy ap or the enemy ad on teamfights as you will melt them with your burst and a couple auto attacks, forcing the enemy to focus and try to stop you and you will bring them down anyway.
Ill post here every top elo matchup you can face (or I faced at least) and how you can make it through:
: This is a really easy matchup, you should deny him from crepps early on (lvl 2-3) or go for an early kill if he tries to farm. Be careful with the ganks anyway, he has a lot of CC and if you waste your combo to get in, you are an easy kill. If he's rushing a lot of early armor just max and combo him everytime it is up. You should win this easy.
: Darius is a bit tricky, it can go both ways. It is really skill dependant, you need to land your + (cannon form) and harras him whenever he goes for lasthit. If you get grabbed and he applies some harras on you, your laning phase gets a lot harder. Be ready anyway to knock him away as soon as he pulls you and do not fight a straight 1v1 unless he is really injured, in which case you should be killing / stoping him from getting cs.
: Not really popular nowadays, play defensive if he got tp and comes back to lane with an early blue / red. Get + and try to harras him post lvl 3, playing defensive before that. He is a really easy matchup as the game goes on as he has no gap closer and you can combo / harras him without risk.
: Really simple . He will shout out loud because this spell as he needs to Q + E you in order to win the trade. Play defensive early on, rush a because you can poke him forevermore and you have that extra hp in case he decides to flash + combo you with ignite.
: Pretty even matchup. The key here is to force an early potion at lvl 1 auto attacking him and going to the brushes. You have to think you are a nidalee, couple auto attacks and go the bushes. If you get to force early potions and deny him you already won the lane. Do not get harrased when he Q a minion, as he can combo you and bring you down if you try to fight her (unless she is half hp or so). Rush and go for and do your best at landing those empowered shockwaves from far away. Use shock blast first and then pop the gate, this way it will be harder for him to avoid the blast and if you get to land a couple of those blasts you can start auto attacking him if your ignite is up, as she will loose the duel.
: Easy lane, just avoid his E + Q combo and he will be easy. You can poke him and duel him once he eats a couple combos. You can also from his ultimate if you need to.
: You have to shut him down early and you can outlane him. Try not get jumped into while you just changed to cannon form or you will have a really bad time there and he will succeed with the trade. Have your hammer stance ready to away when he jumpes you and harras inmediatly after. Repeat and profit.
: She has a really strong lvl 2-3, try to just farm and not get harrased. If her E gets on cooldown and she comes to lasthit a minion, combo her down and she will have no form to harras back, falling behind. Do not try to engage both at full hp or she will ultimate your combo and kill you.
: Pretty much likke Kayle matchup early lvls, but if you raise lvl 2 before he does, combo him down with ignite and he will have to flash away or die. Once you both hit lvl +5, trade with him everytime but the time he charges his W, or you will loose the trade. Try to make him eat some free combos and he will eventually have to leave the lane or towerhug, even with his .
: Good Lee sin's max W on lane and even get a lantern to have infinite sustain. If he goes this way, you have to get a lantern too because it offers a lot for a really cheap price. If he tries to play def spamming W + some lifesteal just focus on free harras once his shield wears off (if possible), max Q and clear waves while hitting him. Once you get to lvl 13 you will destroy him making a good combo and then retreating inmediatly. If he is an aggresive lee sin, just poke him down and try to not get caught getting close to one of his minions and everything will be ok.
: As you are a mix of both ad and ap damage, he cant really counter you. You can max first and cast it everytime u have it on cd. This way he wont be able to just stand on the minions and free farm while free harrasing. If he decides to go early magic ressist, max your and just harras him when he goes to farm. He wont die anyway, but you will deny him some good chunks of miinions and come ahead.
: Most common nidalees are AD, I will explain this matchup. Do not get poked early lvls, she will do more damage than you do and she heals + attack speed herself, so you dont wanna duel her unless she eats the whole combo and you can ignite her before she heals. Anyway you should be looking for some free harras with your ranged form and try to go all in at lvl 5 aprox. Do not get poked but also dont be afraid, if she hits you ; hit back. Once she gets lvl 6 you should play the same poke game and do not let her jump you unless she is injured and you can go for a quick ignite + combo and bring her down. You should get an early here to avoid his harras and be healthy and ready for the duel.
: Easy lane if you avoid his axes and free poke him but if you dont, he will come ahead as he has innate sustain and he can duel you anytime. Poke him with cannon form and keep moving to dodge his axes. If you are hit by 1 anyway, switch to hammer and away before he hits you / he picks the axe. Dont duel him unless he is low and you will come ahead easily.
: One of the most annoying lanes for jayce just because the double jump. You have to be careful and have a really good positioning to not get jumped or you will loose as he has sustain and you dont. He is a bad dueller till lvl 6, you if you find him wasting some cds go on and fight him. You cant loose this lane anyway as you should be able to farm from far away even though you are loosing or getting camped and you can always knock him away if he forces a engage. Do not fight him if he pops his ultimate or you will die for .
: I will explain both, AD and AP rengar.
- AD rengar : One simple word to define this matchup is POKE. He cant jump on you if you are not near the brushes so you just have to hit him anytime he jumps to lasthit a minion and eventually he will be outfarmed. Be careful with his lvl 2 combo as it is extremelly powerful. If you succeed at poking and not getting early crushed you will win this lane, he is really early dependant. His Q got buffed, so you should really STAY OUT OF HIS RANGE and just poke him with shockblasts and when he jumps to cs. Also be extremely careful at lvl 6 because he can do a retarded amount of damage, so basically avoid getting jumped from the bushes or he will do a 4x Q with his ult and you are done.
- AP rengar: He got his W damage nerfed, but now he can cast it while moving so he will make his combo a lot easier. It is really similar to the AD rengar matchup, but he is more durable and he can jump to a minion in order to double W you, so you have to be careful. He deals less damage anyway and he only deals damage when his W is up, so when it is on cooldown harras him and dont let him charge his rage (rage? whatever).
: Still havent found a single hard to beat riven. Even though she has a lot of dashes you can knock her away and speed yourself up and you have some free sconds to free poke her. As every matchup with Jayce ... do not duel her, especially post lvl 6. Your goal here is to poke early game and harras her once you reach lvl 10 or so. She wouldnt be able to force a fight even if she wants to, you just knock her away and speed yourself up. She can barely farm if you did your job early game.
: Dodge his harpoons and harras him with a full cannon + hammer combo and he will have no way to fight back. Just be careful post 6 because if you waste everything to initiate a rumble, he will ultimate on top of you and you are forced to fight, loosing the duel 100%. To avoid this, poke him when he goes to flamespitter some minions and just duel when he is rather low hp (50% or so, depending on the farm)
: If you succeed to poke him and deny / kill early game you are going to have fun this lane, because there is nothing he can do about it. You should be really aggresive to try to stop his ultimate, forcing him to stay towerhugging and you can go for a dive once he eats some shock blasts. Anyway if he gets babysited and he is able to farm + kill you he will eventually finish his sunfire and you have to play really defensive, triying to poke him down without getting taunted. Still with no jungle actions you should come ahead this matchup.
: Amazing damage, charge and slow. He is really deadly anytime. You shouldnt be able to duel him as well as you should be careful of when you are poking. His charge gets the cd lowered once he hits with his Q, so if you wasted your and he hits some minions ... be careful, as he might repeat the same process and you are sold without scaping and he can take 50% of your hp down. Just go for poking once your is up and he will suffer the same pain he makes you feel. Pretty even matchup, although he is way more easy to get killed once he jumps on you, so you should be asking the jungler to gank untill he decides to play defensive. Grab offense items and make him pay after he cant chase you anymore.
: Every guide the same, this is the |@#!"· champion you want to ban when you play Jayce. It is really annoying, because you cant kill him unless he makes a mistake a duel you early. You should be running and focus his HP golem (e) and then looking for some harras. If you are lucky you can get to kill or outsustain him, but its really hard and annoying and his minions block your shock blast. If you are new to this matchup aim for lasthiting and beg your jungler to make his game top, because yoric has no scapes and he is really easy to gank. Thanks to Feurer I tested to get a vs him and worked really well, you can get to outsustain him and even deny him from getting creeps if you use the active and jump on him a couple of times and hide in the bushes. He will be scared even to get close to a minion to E. Ill be testing this build untill I can tell it works 100%.
: Pretty even matchup. You should be aiming to harras him hiding in his brushes. If he comes to cs a minion with his Q, combo him down and make him use those early potions. I think he is the only hero that must play defensive vs Jayce early on. Abuse this and try to kill him early lvls. Once he get an early and a you have to be careful of when you poke, because you can loose the trades. Your goal once you get to midgame is to raise lvl 13 as soon as posible and poke him down with a full combo and then getting away before he can do much harras back. I've faced many vladimirs and just a couple were a trouble, and it was because I poked when I shouldnt and ended up getting forced out of the lane, which should never happend.
: Teemo uses to skill his poison damage (E) at lvl 1, you should be looking to harras him and try to raise lvl 2 to be able to shutdown him. This way he will use 1 or 2 and you can outfarm him from the begining. I prefer maxing here too, because you can harras him without getting harrased back. Once he gets a , your wont be enough, you will need to add some extra pressure with your . You wont be able to hit him with your anyway due to his blinding dart and you will get harrased back, so you will need some lifesteal, a should be enough. Once you duel a couple of Teemos you know when to hit him and when you should not be hitting him. Be careful post lvl 6 because he will hide in the bushes and you cant go hammer stance to hit him, or you will get punished hard due to his shrooms.
: You might be thinking about maxing against Singed but if you do he will get tons of potions and with his he will be able to push your lane to the tower and start roaming. That is the main reason because I also recomend to max . You can get to kill him if he eats a couple of shockwaves and you can counter his push by pushing as well. Just carry a and dont let him roam without knowing where he is going to go exactly. Once you both hit lvl 10 just combo him and try to not get a lot of damage back. Avoid fighting him when he's ultimate is up because it is some kind of godlike 1v1 ultimate and everything will be ok and remember: PUSH & PUNISH
(hit him everytime you can with auto attacks and spells and he wont be able to stand that much pain). Tip : If he baits his ultimate to a low percentage (close to 30) go all on him and him, he will go down for sure, specially past lvl 10.
: She is a really ease lane because yes, she jumps twice but her jump has a really low range, you can just knock her away and wait till the second jump expires. Knock her everytime she tries to jump you and poke her down. Just auto attack him and bait her W. Remember to never duel her unless you are really fed, you have a ranged form so abuse it :). She cant stand much harras early lvls, all you have to do is land your + (ranged) and do a hit bait (get in range for an auto attack and do not attack. This way fiora wont even be able to commit to trades because she will be low hp after some combos (easy to land combos because she has to lasthit at melee range). You should come ahead of any fiora if you learn how to bait her W.
: Warwick is a really easy matchup for Jayce just because he has no gap closers and no cc untill lvl 6. Poke him everytime it is possible and make him use Q on minions, this way you will make him go out of mana without suffering a scratch. If he tries to Q you while you are kitting him and he is above 50%, ignite and combo him so he will be force to flash away with 20% hp, so you can poke him at his tower and kill him if he decides to stay. Max here as well, warwick is a really bad lasthitter and bad farmer overall, so poke and push and just be careful post 6 because the ganks. Always get wards because he will be so desperated that might be looking to gank mid or will be waiting for his jungler, this is the only threat about warwick when you play Jayce.
: This is a really hard matchup for Jayce as for a lot of common top laners. There is 2 different ways to face this matchup and Ill explain both of them:
- Maxing : I use to max Q in every lane, and you can do the same here. The goal when you max Q is to push the lane and farm as much as you can, as Nunu is a really bad lasthitter. You can win the lane against him if you land a full combo on him and before he consumes a minion. This way he will be forced to flash away and leave the creep line really low. This means that he wont be able to auto hit the minions, so he wont get free spells and will end up loosing the lane as he wont be able to both consume and harras you without that free spells. You should try to make this happens, and if it doesnt come out well you can always deny him some creeps at his tower range and hold the lane. Rush a if possible.
- Maxing : You can also max E and play a really different lane. When you max E you are going to jump onto him everytime it is possible and in his face. You must stop him from autoattack minions or he will come ahead on trades so after you jump you should kite the frostbolt effect and when it expires harras him with auto attacks on ranged form. Try your best to land the passive proc from your hammer when you jump on him, you need to do a lot of damage so he cant consume and act like nothing never happened. If you poke him on cannon from the bushes and jump on him when your melee combo is up, he will have to play rlly defensive and he wont be able to get you out of the lane because your potions.
: People seems to have troubles with Nasus and I dont really know why. He will probably come to lane with + and you have to take all those pots down. Early game Nasus is a dummie, you can poke him and deny him some creeps even though the 5 pots. I also max here, because as a melee lasthitter hero, it is really easy to land the shockwaves. You will eventually push the lane to his tower, so get a ward and poke him down there (auto hit + leave tower range and repeat this procces as many times as possible). His philo + some pots + melee lifesteal will make him a bit durable, but if you land your combos he will be really low hp and you should be asking yor jungler / mid to dive the Nasus. It is very important to not duel him post 6 or he will ultimate + whitter you and he is going to eat you alive. Just play this matchup once the early game finishes as an ad caster, do your combo and then GTFO out of there. Anyway he wont be able to farm that much and he wont charge his Q a lot, he even should max E in order to be able to farm, so you did your job at dont letting him be a super threat lategame.
: The first time I fough vs Pantheon he raped me hard but then I got to duel some Pantheons and I found he is not that hard. All you have to do is be careful early game and do not trade with him at all (unless he is at your creepwave, you will win this way), even though it can cost you some lasthits. Once you reach lvl 3 your + combo (ranged) will hit hard, so if you land the shockwave aim for some soft trading. It is very important to land those accelerated shockwaves early game, otherwise you will get outfarmed and the midgame is going to be painful once he gets some damage items. Rush a if possible, otherwise just get a couple ; you need some HP to be able to dominate this lane. So just max (what a surprise), poke him with shockblast (do not trade early auto hits vs spears + shield ) and you will crush him post lvl 5.
: She is really easy early game because you can poker her down without suffering much damage back. Just harras in cannon form while she is wasting potions in order to be able to lasthit some minions. If you max your she will be forced to recall before she hits 6 (if you can land those shockwaves) and will get underfarmed and underleveled. In that case once she reach 6 watch out for her shadowstep charges, if she has 2 or more charges (1 charge = ) just aim to land those empowered shockwaves untill she is rather low (50% hp or so) in which case you can proceed to do a straight duel on her with ignite up. Just try to kite the twilight veil by going out of her range or you will get some nasty combos and everything will be ok.
: I've been playing Khazix a lot because I find he is a really fun champion but quite underpowered at the moment as a top laner just because he has really low defenses and can get crushed by CC heroes (Irelia eats him) or ranged heroes like Nidalee or our Jayce. Just poke him like there is no tomorrow and him when he jumps on you to burst you down. Just be careful once you both reach lvl 6, as he can turn invisible after the jump and place himself ahead so you will hammer him to your tower, beein in a really dangerous spot. Also be careful to fight him while near the bushes, as he can regain his passive and make more damage + slow you constantly meaning that you are going down for sure. Anyway if you succeed at poking him early he is going to have a really bad time and begging his jungler to make his way top. Do not get confident anyway even if you are winning your lane, he is a better duel overall than you are and if he succeed at turning invisible before you can hammer him away you are going to be force to flash or die.
: Start + 2 pots here. Wukong is hard because he can combo you and fade without suffering damage back, but he can only do this at lvl 3-4, so you have to abuse him early with that long sword and poke him hard. If he comes to jump you lvl 1-2, just trade back and commit to duel, you will deal more damage and he will left really injured for you to combo him down after. Get a once you return to lane and just aim for cs and harras from far away. If you land a couple shockwaves you can start going into melee range more often as he will die if he tries to duel you. Anyway be ready yo knock him away if he ults you and swap inmediatly to cannon stance to speed yourself up and shockwave him, this way you will mitigate a lot of damage and will end the trade pretty even.
: Havent duelled a Ryze yet, will be adding this matchup soon.
: Havent duelled a Swain yet, will be adding this matchup soon.
This are the most common top champs at the moment, if you want some information about a special matchup ask me and I will post it later on (Havent played every matchup yet, if you want to test a duel vs my Jayce PM me and we can try out some special or rare matchups).
+2400 Jayce replayHere I link you a replay from lol replay I captured not long ago : http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/match/723278/
I got this game because lee sin has a redicilous amount of sustain and you have to counter this kind of heroes with lantern, because it can get to be a loooong loooong matchup.
Comented ReplayHere I coment the previous replay on a youtube video, im looking to improve the cuality of the video itself and will be posting some more against different matchups:
Patchs since the guide release
- 19 september 2012 : Thundering Blow mana cost increased to 40/50/60/70/80 from 40 at all ranks - My "max Q" theory is more reliable now.
- 25 october 2012 : Thundering blow got his flat damage REMOVED, as well as the acceleration gate got his mana cost increased to 50 from 30. Those nerfs forced me to rewrite the BT vs Triforce section.
- 5 december 2012 : Season 3 came with new masteries and items, item build updated.
- Early February : Updated item build after some s3 changes to items.
Final CommentsAs you can see Jayce is a versatile champion, that offers some utility in exchange for the pure dueller bruiser style we are used to see. Here I bring you the pro / cons list attached to him :
-Nice early / mid poking
-Cool game changing moves
-Strong lane phase
-You can get to steal jungle with you're E+Q combo from far away.
-Not a good dueller till you are good itemized (fed)
-He is quite skill dependant and it takes some time to learn when to use stances and when do not use them.
-No real scapes if you are getting exhausted / focused with high cc
-You are not an initiator. Even though you can do it, you will be blown in seconds and you're dps goes to waste, you need an initiator.
-You might get flamed and tagged as troll because "that char is useless" (I was at least)
-You must have RPS in order to feel good about playing him.
Will include replays and tips and will be streaming anytime soon if you are eager to see Superman in action :)