S3 ChangelogJan 31 - Changed Masteries/builds and respective chapters
Mar 17 - Updated Masteries, Runes, And build to more correctly reflect the current state of the game
IntroductionAlright, So I've completely redone this guide because a lot of things are both outdated and irrelevant now.
But The person is still the same :) Just new summoner name.
I now refer to xMikeeey on summoner's rift.
The introduction is pretty much the same, this is a build on how to play Irelia, the Will of the Blades. If you're looking for someone else that isn't Irelia.. well you.. I don't know why you're here.
Irelia is a melee bruiser, designed to jump to and stick onto carries in the middle of fights. She also has exceptional peeling potential if needed.. as most bruisers are.
Overall, her laning is really straightfoward and relatively easy. Through countless nerfs, she has still proven to be one of the strongest toplaners in the League, and is a real force to be reckoned with when she gets going.
I've probably played over 300 games in total, although mostly normal, with Irelia, and plan on not stopping in Season 3. She may appear to have gotten nerfed, but I believe that she is still stronger than ever.
Alright, lets start with Summoner spells. The spells you will have till death do you part in the game.
Flash is a fairly straightforward spell that can get you out of many sticky situations, be prepared to learn to flash over walls and such.
Ignite, again, fairly straightfoward. One of the strongest early game spells in the game. Use it to finish off kills that otherwise are hard to get to. Also use in fights against heros that heal like crazy to make them less.. well regenerative.
Optional Summoner spell choices
If you realise that there is alot of early game damage coming out of both your lane opponent and jungler, this spell can save your life at times. Don't always think you need this in this case however.
Get it if you feel that you can survive ganks(i.e. not a lot of pressure) and use it in fights to catch up to carries.
Great to apply pressure around the map and put more pressure onto objectives. Great usage for early backs if needed. Overall great spell. Grab the spell cooldown enchantment if you choose to take teleport.
Best setup currently.
Reason is that Attack speed gives you the best early game sustain because you only get base life on hit, not %
Move speed quints are also great in general for almost everyone
There are also some other runes that you CAN consider if you really want to
Attack Damage Red: Unfavored for me now, not a bad choice though
Armor Pen Red: Not as strong as it was before the nerf, but you can still use them, nothing will hurt you if you do.
Attack Damage Quints: Same as attack damage reds, works just as fine though
Armor Quints: Going up against heavy AD? Fear no more! get 3 of those and you should feel more comfortable in lan!
Health Quints: 800 hp irelia at level 1? HOW TO KILL? xD
MasteriesToo lazy to put up a picture, I'll get around to it when I can.
But anyways, 9/21 for all purpose toplane. Youre main goal is just to be annoying to deal with both in lane and in fights, and it's great to have 21 in def. your damage will come from your triforce and attack speed items.
21/9 is a great option if you're going to be going mid against a really weak weak early game AP. Otherwise you should get 9/21.
16/14 also decent. 14 points will get you to Block and you get 16 well used points in offense.
Passive: Ionian Fervor
Hands down, probably the best passive to suit with the playstyle of Irelia. With more champions around her, CC's are reduced by up to 40%. Great for making sure that you are unstoppable. The fact that it can still stack with means that itll make you a weaker version of Olaf's ult.
Alright, this skill is a small nuke that refreshes if it kills something. MINI DARIUS ULT YEEEEEEEHH :D
Use it to navigate your way around fights, clean up kill and still have it ready for the next altercation. In lane it helps Irelia farm under tower too ! Oh btw this skill proc's the true damage from her W and the wit's end magic damage IF you so choose to get wit's end. Most likely proc's Statikk Shiv's lightning too.
W: Hiten Style
Bread and Butter for Irelia. It's what makes Irelia Irelia. GUARANTEED 75 true damage on any target, It's also the reason why she can go pure attack speed and still be very effective. Healing isn't too bad either in lane and in fights. With this skill, Irelia can pretty much out trade everyone in lane, just because of the threat of her true damages.
E: Equilibrium Strike
Stun/Slow. Does some pretty decent damage too! Use it to stick to whoever your fighting and make sure they can almost certainly get away. Can also be used in lane to farm/set up ganks well if it stuns.
R: Transcendent Blades
Feel free to spam the hell out of this whenever you feel like. Its a really short cooldown at level 16, so why not. Clears waves exceptionally well, good healing to prevent death in alot of cases too. clear waves in an instant and then back and buy then come back to lane before it reaches your tower. I love using this skill every time its off cooldown, it just works so well :D. Make sure you hit as much as you can when you use this skill to heal. AND each blade procs your triforce :)
Skill OrderAlright, there are two general options here.
This set up is aimed to just put down as much damage as you can in lane. Works great if you want to snowball. I always do this because the AD ratio is 1:1 on Q so why not buff it even more :)
Still viable because your q should almsot never be on cooldown in lane. But however the damage lacks in teamfights in my opninion. Still works though
Its your choice how to go about leveling up the last two skills. But for sure you need to have W maxed by 9. from then on its your choice on how to skill, I can't make you do something. My favorite option is the first one just because I love the extra damage it provides, its great
Item BuildsThis is going to be the most in-depth part of the guide. Prepare for a HUGE wall of text for this part.
Alright, so in Season 3 with the minor nerf to movement speed items and the buff to base move speed, there are now a few options you can choose to start with. Keep in mind that there are many more than you would think, so just experiment with things as you go.
Alright, so your general starting options can be
Great against heavy early game ad champions, and you dont give up alot by not starting boots now :D
Take jungle camp at 1:40, ward up, hit 2, all in. Simple as that.
- saves money on pots against high harass lane such as
First buy: - One of these is not too bad overall with a little bit more hp per hit.
Against AD/Split push:
- Armor for obvious reasons. And great to counteract split push since Irelia has no innate wave clear unless you spam ult
- With the addition of attack speed, this has become god tier item for Irelia. Must have in your build even if they do not stack HP
- Great stats for Irelia. Allows you to get berserkers for more lane presence.
- Must get. Enough said
- This is very snowbally centered, if youre winning hard you can consider this or build standar.
Secondary build objectives.
Welp, you need to upgrade .
You have a few options in a variety of situations, I'll just go over a few
- AD lane, No brainer here.
- This would be your item unless youre getting raped hard by AD which would mean getting tabi's. You will buy tenacity in so you can grab another damage oriented item.
- Rush vs AP because you won't be building MR. Grab Zephyr in the later portions of the game
- I tried this item once. I have fallen in love with it. Active proc's triforce, and you can just deal so much damage in an AOE along with just raping face. Definitely an item I would always consider getting.
- Kind of a nerf on this item, but it still works, especially when you have to kill the AD. Health is great now as well.
- HAHAHAHAHA SCRUB BUILDING WARMOGS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AHAHAHAHAHAHA If your team needs a beefier front line, this works wonders. also great against alot of true damage from champions like
- Cost might have gone up, but still one of the most effective items in the game against AD. Along with that carry ain't gonna kill you.
- Go all in onto whoever you're trying to kill with this item. So much attack speed and crit upon activation, works very well for assassination.
- Damage enhancement, life steal? Why the hec not if you want it. :)
- CDR/AD/Armor shred. Great when you have to peel heavy armor targets off your carries
- If your winning so hard, You can get this for just lols.
- Exceptional peel and whack slow, great alternative to Trinity.
- Not needed unless you need to stay alive
- Get if your team ABSOLUTELY NEEDS IT
Tier 3 boot Options.
- More move speed! Yay!
- Grab if you have teleport just to apply more pressure than normal.
- Irelia deals single target damage, get for fighting against slippery targets.
- Base defense go!
Last but certainly the MOST important.
- Ah yes, the sight ward. It helps make sure you don't die in lane and makes sure you know where people are at any given point in time. These things will save your life. Please, just buy them, it just decreases the chances of death. I've heard of so many people that just constantly complain about ganks, but they don't have wards. It can be much more preventable if you'd just use the damn thing.
OH OH OH OH ! YOU CAN GET TOO! Not only supports can get this item, you know. It can easily pay for its self (10wards) and you don't have to buy wards. Dont upgrade it if you choose to get it, especially if your jungler/support have already gotten one. I mean, you can, but then it becomes less cost effective because that ruby crystal couldve gone towards more itemising.
I can rant on and on about the importance of wards. Wards should be spread throughout the team, even with the sightstones now it will be less of a hassle, but you STILL have to help ward. You can be 15k gold behind your enemy laner, but wards will still be an important part of winning the game. Being behind mean you have to play to the best of your abilities, which means NOT DYING ANYMORE. Which is what wards can be used for.
- Alright, this is one of those things thats less imperative. You have to spread the use of consumables across your team. I would consider getting oracles now because constantly getting it on a support and jungler just slows their build down. Why not help them? Even if your behind as well, grabbing this can be a serious help to your team, and controlling objectives. Don't bitch about it,its a team game, so play like a team and spread things throughout your team. The fact that it's 5 minutes means that there must be more bought throughout a game if you want to control objectives.
Make sure you get elixirs for fights, and when youve completed your build. Get oracles when you have finished, just to make sure you can secure map pressure at the cost of literally nothing.
Early GameOkay, this is the beginning of the game. Time to lane. Remember the name of the game is "Who can get the most farm and be the most effective late game" You dont HAVE to kill your laner in the lane to be effective, it just emans you have to CS better than they do. Pretty much your goal is just to get as much gold as you can.
Finish your items as fast as you can and secure objectives whenever possible. That is the early game, and your primary goal.
If you kill the other laner, take advantage of it. Snowball the game with your own two hands. Irelia has some of the best 1v1 capabilities out of all toplane champions.
Set up ganks with your jungler/midlaner to help you win your lane. Take tower, force other towers, then go back to pushing top. ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN 1v1/1v2 because you are fed. Be sure to secure as many primary objectives as possible with your lead. Meaning TAKE TOWERS.
Prepare for the SECOND dragon because normally you won't be there for the first one unless you want to force the dragon. It's all the way on the other side of the map, so you shouldn't be down there otherwise.
Mid GameIf your fed beyond belief, just put pressure on the map by pushing a sidelane, primarily top if you dont have teleport. Sooner or later, they'll send a lot of people after you, so your team can force other objectives such as dragon and towers. Believe it or not, you can snowball just by taking towers.
You also have the option to group for dragons/towers and make protect your team in fights.
Make sure you choose to either jump onto their carries, or peel for yours. Dont do a little bit of both, youll just die easier.
Mid-game is all about pressing whatever advantages you can, so be sure to provide your team with the most help, whether itd be applying map pressure or helping other lanes.
Late GameIt's time to do the baron dance.
Be sure you have wards, they cna come in handy around this point in time.
Spread oracles around your team, not just have 1 or 2 people get them all the time. Remember, if you can get baron, youve essentially paid for 75% of your oracles. Its not too bad in my opinion if everyone were to pitch in 400g to get one every 5 minutes or so.
Press advantage harder, aim to get towers. OR defend your towers and GIVE YOUR CARRIES AS MUCH FARM AS POSSIBLE. They scale amazingly into late game for the most part, so you want to put as much gold into their pockets as possible.
Stay grouped for the most part, because 1 pick can end the game.
Team FightsIn Team fights, you have two options. You either dive their carries or peel for yours. The choice is mostly up to you, but you have to consider your team too. If you have people that can kill everyone if given the chance, I would protect them and allow for that chance. If there is enough of a front line to make sure your carries don't die, then jump onto theirs.
Again, everything is based on your decision. I do a lot of things differently with every passing game on Irelia, so if you find something that you like, go for it.
Final CommentsThis is just a guideline for things you may want to consider if you pick up Irelia. I can't say this is the best choice for you, because this is my opinion, not yours. You have a brain, use it and make your time playing Irelia the best it can possibly be.
Irelia is such a strong toplaner right now, and if you pick her up that's great:D. It means we already have one thing in common.
Hope this guide helps whoever may read it, good luck!