IntroductionHello, I am NinjaFuYa a Jungler averaging around 2K elo on EUwest.
I have played jungle since season 1 and have been maining Skarner since release with over 1500 games under my belt. This is my first guide so any feedback would be helpful.
If you enjoy this guide please like my facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/LOLNinjafuya it helps a TON.
You can also follow me at twitter.com/NinjaFuYa if you want
If you have any questions just message me ingame/facebook/twitter/comments below.
I am now streaming at twitch.tv/masterfuya follow to see when im on!
This guide will completely show how to jungle with Skarner.
I will update this guide Weekly if i feel somethings need to be changed or added.
When I was the best skarner on EU west(According to LOLKING 1 death in 11 games)
This guide will cover how I Jungle skarner, and the items I buy. Yes there are other routes you can go about playing skarner and different items you can get but they are not my preference.
My Mindset While playing SkarnerWhen I play skarner I want to be THE initator.
I want fights to happen when i want them to and how i want them to. I build skarner so that I am able to initate fights in my teams favour as much as possible.
This is why I take
I want to make sure that when i ulti someone that person is going to die moments after my ultimate runs out or while it's still on them.
This is why I pick skarner when i have nice burst on my team so that every teamfight is a 4v5 after i have ulted.
The best case senario in teamfights is for me to engage and instagib one of their carries then either chase down their team with perma slows or peel for my carries.
Skarner is not only a great initator but he is very good at protecting his carries, if I can't ult the enemy carries i can defend my carries and ult the bruisers away from them.
I buy asap as I want to force fights as soon as possible with my ultimate, bulwark is a teamfighting item as it grants your teammates around you stats.
I get So i can make my engages faster and more prominent making it harder for people to get away.
I then get To make it even harder for people to outrun me while also giving me a lot of hp which is great against people without % damage which most ad carries don't have.
I always get either or to make my engages better, if they have a lot of poke swiftness is usually better because they will attack you before you get in range meaning you will lose the movement speed increase.
means more flashes meaning more engages meaning more won teamfights.
Basically I want to engage before the enemy engages, and all my engages should be in our favour meaning we should win every teamfight.
- 05/12/2012 Started and Released the guide.
- 06/12/2012 Added item build for top skarner
- 06/12/2012 Changed masteries to compensate for minion reduction mastery removal
- 06/12/2012 Changed Boot enhancement preference to DISTORTION
- 06/12/2012 Added Get to know skarner
- 06/12/2012 Added The Meta And Skarner
- 07/12/2012 Changed Core items (Swapped boots of swiftness with boots of speed)
- 07/12/2012 Added Ionian boots of lucidity to Item build(now good for skarner)
- 07/12/2012 Added Eleisa's miracle to items
- 07/12/2012 Changed Core Items to include Ruby sightstone removed spirit of the ancient golem, it is situational.
- 07/12/2012 Item build for TOP renamed to LANE
- 07/12/2012 Updated Masteries - Defender only good for lvl 1 fights/Legendary armor only increases BONUS resistances very weak early and super lategame it isn't even necessary. It sucks. Juggernaut/Good Hands way more useful. Especially with so many HP orientated items now + True damage. Removed a point in Tenacious the diminishing returns make it a waste of a point, moved the point into Reinforced armor which is worth much more. Taken all points from Hardiness and placed them into Resistance to compensate for MR nerfs on items
- 17/12/2012 APPROVED YAY!
- 17/12/2012 Changed views on mobility boots they are ok
- 23/12/2012 Added Soloq tips
- 16/01/2013 Added all guides section
- 16/01/2013 Added stream link to info (I STREAM NOW YO)
- 16/01/2013 updated The meta and skarner
- 16/01/2013 updated page name to Facebook.com/LOLNinjafuya
- 16/01/2013 Added twitch to guide ( twitch.tv/masterfuya )
- 19/01/2013 Revamped
- 19/01/2013 Added my mindset section
- 19/01/2013 Added Enhancement choices
- 19/01/2013 Updated Jungle masteries
- 19/01/2013 Removed entire LANE sections, guide is just for jungling now. specifically for RE-Approval
The Meta And Skarner
Preseason 3 Patch: 1.72.12_12_04_16_29
CURRENT STANDING: Very powerful control jungler - Strong Counterpick vs certain matchups in lane.
- Skarner has 0 problems in the new jungle and lvl 4 clears around 3:49
- He can clear buffs back to back with no issues (RED then BLUE/BLUE then RED buff, nothing in between)
- Many new items are great for him especially
- Due to the slow reduction mastery ganking bruisers/tanks early is near impossible lvls 1-2, Red buff was also nerfed indirectly due to this.
- Clarity nerfed for skarner as it's only purpose on him was for the early game. It now only grants 40% max mana instead of the base amount which was 100% of skarners mana pool.
- Boots nerf did not effect skarner as much as other junglers due to his W.
- Teleport was insanely buffed and with the right points in utility tree is very close to the cooldown of flash which means vs certain teams can be also be used as an escape if the enemy has no cc to stop your TP cast.
- Magic pen runes buffed, Skarner top buffed.
- Ambient gold increase promotes cross-lane ganking, Skarner top buffed.
- Jungle gold increase/ Jungle health increase all buff skarner, It means skarner autoattacks more in the jungle =lowering his ult cooldown more. Before he would kill camps super fast meaning he only got a few autos in on each camp. When your ult is off cd you can just gank then continue jungling, this all makes skarner jungle nice and streamline instead of chaotic and not knowing when you should gank for new junglers.
- SKARNER IS NO LONGER FLAVOR OF THE MONTH!!! no longer picked much or banned NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO SPAM SKARNER TO 2K ELO
Preseason Balance Update 2 Patch Notes 15/01/2013
- Iceborne Gauntlet
Slow percentage reduced to 30% from 35%
Slowing field now displays team color rings
Wits end is now an even better choice for damage and should be considered, and Frozen heart should also be considered more for tanking, remember that the slow from iceborn and your q stacks multiplicatively so it's not a waste to have both slows.
- Ninja Tabi
Ninja tabi is now slightly better good for tanking nash etc
- Muting a player will now mute that player's emote sounds
- Lots of champs got nerfed like lee, khaz amumu making skarner that much stronger of a pick.
Base gold increased to 30 from 25
Base health increased to 1000 from 750
Base health reduced to 150 from 250
Base gold increased to 55 from 40
Base health increased to 1100 from 900
Base health reduced to 200 from 300
Base gold increased to 55 from 45
Base health increased to 1200 from 1000
Base health reduced to 300 from 500
Skarner has been buffed.
Why Skarner? Pros/ConsSkarner fits into many roles: Tank, Bruiser, Carry, Support. He scales well with many different item paths and has hybrid damage magical/physical.
He is weak lvls 1-2 but after that can start taking control of the jungle with red buff ganks, or counterjungling depending on who he is up against.
He is the blitzcrank of the jungle as in he is THE BEST jungler for catching people out of position simply ult drag them behind you and perma slow for your team to feast on them. Can pretty much guarantee kills at lvl 6 even regardless of wards if you flash ult, and once you get shurelias your killing potential is even greater.
Skarner deals a ton of sustained damage without damage items and puts enemies in a situation where they cant run away or fight you so they just have a slow and painful death.
Late game skarner becomes a CC tank/disrupter that focuses on keeping bruisers/assasins permaslowed(protecting your carries) and initiating fights for your team on the right targets.
If you can consistently land your Qs on someone and be tanky enough to survive through the punishment you will take(if they aren't just running for their lives) you can kill anybody. This includes singed in fact skarner is probably the best jungler for shutting down singed as you can actually chase him, slow him down to near 0 speed and tank his poison with shield taking next to 0 dmg.
- Has a safe jungle route(can start at any camp)
- Fast Clear times
- Can Destroy melee champs by peeling very well for his carries.
- CAN counterjungle certain junglers and get away with no sweat
- Hard to counterjungle him(if you catch someone in your jungle and land two Qs they're toast level 3 onwards)
- Very strong ulti making teamfights 4v5 in 3 seconds/Unstoppable ganks at lvl 6
- Incredibly tanky and has a relatively low cd shield to tank them DOTS
- Auto-attacks lower your cds, this is INSANELY good for skarner you chase someone and your w cd is being lowered so you can keep sticking to them same with your Q. Also after you pull off a successful gank with your ult you just farm jungle so your ult cd is lowered asap then you gank again, MVP.
- BEST SPAMMABLE LAUGH INGAME to strike sadness into your enemies hearts
- Permaslow up to 5 people in teamfights OP
- Scales VERY well into lategame-Always usefull
- Great storyline great voice actor
- Takes a while to learn exact Q range to slow people chasing you or to use Qs to chase efficiently at maxrange
- Takes a while to learn how to ult correctly(knowing when to drag someone and when not to- Not dragging someone with burst to your team-mate who is on 50hp/knowing not to drag so morgana can land Q)
- Only 3 useful abilities for jungling
- Mediocre ganks pre 6 without a lane with hard cc
- Very weak lvls 1-2 will need good jungle cover early game preferably with mobile lanes with CC
Summoner's Resolve - All tank junglers should take this IMO the gold adds up a lot during a games progress which helps as tanks usually don't get gold from kills and just make do with assist gold and global objectives and ofcourse the jungle camps/lane tax.
Durability - Gives you a bit more Health, much better than perseverance for jungling since you sustain enough in the jungle.
Veterans scars - The Extra HP is great for early-midgame and allows you to make those clutch plays
Tough skin - Self explanatory, less damage from the jungle means safer clears meaning it's harder for you to get invaded and killed and allows for you to do more ganks before returning to base to heal/buy.
Bladed Armor - Faster clear times means faster ganks, levels and gold I think this is a must for skarner jungle.
Hardiness - One point in this helps with jungle clear and early game.
Relentless - Less slowing is GREAT on skarner very hard for people to kite you, works with red buff too if a lee sin invades you and statrs slowing you with red buff this helps you get away! and it synergises incredibly well with
Safeguard - Great for tower diving which you will be doing a lot as the tank, Always a good idea.
Juggernaught - A must on any tank scales very well into lategame not many other masteries scale as well as this and Honor Guard, it is very efficient.
Defender - One of the most efficient masteries 5 Armor/5 Magic resist on lvl 1 fights very good. Great for ganks/counterganks.
Legendary Armor - Very good Lategame once you start to stack resitances this becomes incredibly efficient, A must for skarner as it goes so well with his spammable shield and the resistances will work with his shield.
Honor Guard - Again the longer the game goes on the more useful this will be, Lategame this is very good and i consider it a must on any tank, Anytime you survive on low hp it was this mastery that saved you lategame it's also very good against burst champions.
- You can use Scaling per level if you feel you will be safe early-mid against the enemy jungler/mid if not take flat MR or a mixture of scaling and Flat to avoid being invaded a lot and forced out of your jungle. This is good against for example a Leblanc mid and Evelynn jungle Duo.
- AS reds mean faster jungling speeds lower cooldowns = more damage and taking less damage as you can shield more often and more ganks since you can ult more often while clearing and gain gold and experience faster. You can take one Crit chance red as if you get lucky it's much better than one AS rune. Other than that there are no better alternatives, AS is huge on skarner.
- Armor yellows, great for jungling as you take less damage meaning you are less susceptible to invades and counter ganks it also helps you do global objectives like dragon and baron that do Physical damage, and of course enemy Ad champions more specifically the enemy ad carry. These are by far the best seals to take for jungling.
- Movespeed means you can stick to targets=more autos=lowercds=moremovespeed thanks to W /dmg/autoattacks i'm sure you understand where this is going. For Skarner these are the best quintessences however if for some reason you do not have these the next best thing would be Attack Speed for fast clears and lower cooldowns on ganks or possibly Armor/hp quints for more survivability.
These are best for jungling, flash is explained below and Smite is the summoner's spell taken by junglers. The spell deals no damage to enemy champions and only works on minions and monsters in the jungle. It's purpose is to aid junglers by allowing them to clear faster and take less damage in the jungle since they kill big mobs earlier than they would do without smite. Smite is a must on any jungler without it you put your team at risk of losing dragons, barons and red/blues because the enemy jungler can simply smite it. It was recently buffed too at all ranks so it's now even better!
(ALWAYS- Flash for the HARD intiate nobody will see a shurelia+w+(insert Ori/Lulu speed up here)+Flash combo into the enemies backline to pull out a juicy caitlyn for your team to devour, also good to avoid ganks.)
- Great if playing toplane and you have a passive farm matchup like against shen for example so you can countergank with TP since you won't have much kill potential against him anyways with ignite.
- Great if you're playing Toplane skarner gives more kill potential so your jungler can camp your lane and will guarantee kills against most lanes once 6
- Nice vs burst or to bait at toplane, also synergizes well with your W
- I wouldn't recommend this item if you conserve your mana properly you shouldn't need this however if you really are having problems you can get on toplane
- I wouldn't recommend this on skarner, he is already very mobile and tanky if you're needing cleanse to survive you're doing something wrong.
- Okay against a low kill potential toplane and the enemy team has a lot of high burst and not much global pressure, you can peel for your carries better with exhaust
- If supporting and they have a burst comp bot, you can pull off some nice baits with this, however it's very situational and exhaust is usually better, make sure they don't have any grievous wounds applying abilities.
- If supporting and you want to keep an eye on their jungler/good roam from mid like an
- You shouldn't get this over flash on Skarner, you already have your W and Shurelyas for increased movement speed this would be over-kill and has diminishing returns. Flash will allow you to make a lot more plays in most situations.
Your passive synergizes with attack speed, so items like wits end actually end up converting into CDR, assuming you are autoattacking in the fight. You will end up getting kited if you do not utilize this passive, you need to get auto attacks off in fights to stick to your targets, to help with this you should combine attackspeed with tenacity and movepseed.
Q: Crystal Slash
An ability that absolutely destroys melee champions, and works great in chases. Remember, however, that you must first charge it up and you can do so by casting your Q near creeps or enemy champions, then cast it again as you are harassing/chasing the enemy champion. The second cast will slow. Also remember that as you autoattack your cooldown will decrease, so you should be spamming this whenever the person you are trying to attack is in range, if you miss a single Q the person will probably escape.
In the jungle you should be spamming this to clear camps.
W: Crystalline Exoskeleton
Your W is a steroid and a shield. Don't use it too much in lane because the 60 mana costs will add up. Only use it when necessary: for exchanges and chasing. Watch your mana and make sure you have enough for Q.
You should only use this to clear camps if you have bluebuff or if it's mid-lategame (around lvl 13 with manareg/mana items)
Your ranged harass, and sustain. You can use this to clear waves or just use it on minions or champions in exchanges. This will allow you some sustain without items like wriggles. Also, if you max this ability early it can help you clear waves. Just make sure you have enough mana regen through masteries and runes, however.
One of the best abilities in the game. Allows you to initiate very well, especially when your flash is up. At good times, you can flash ult somebody caught out of position, and this will allow your team to focus that person down while they are dragged helplessly to their death. Also can be used in a 1v1 as it will allow for your abilites to cool down, and you can still use Q in it. Note that while you are dragging somebody you cannot autoattack, neither can you flash.
Always go this order, taking E in the jungle is a waste as you do not need the sustain and it is just draining your mana only skill E early if you have a level up available and someone infront of you is getting away and you can E them over the wall (which almost never happens) use your better judgement.
A Typical Jungle Build
Situational when to upgrade boot enhancement but usually after Spirit fo the ancient golem is good. Upgrade to either
Distortion unless your team is losing hard and you are turtling in base.
vs Balanced Comp
vs Heavy ADOROR
vs Heavy AP
Won lane Fed as Fk
General Items and uses
- A must for Skarner jungle increases your clear speeds and allows you to clear while remaining on higher hp meaning you can possibly do a pre 6 gank and also means it will be harder for the enemy jungler to invade you around lvls 1-2 where you are at your most vulnerable.
- Good if you are relying on your Flash Ult to gank makes your ganks very strong just make sure that you are not hit by anything before you get in range or you will lose the passive from the boots.
- Very good for jungling, Allows you to move faster between camps and on ganks will let you catch up to anyone assuming you already have tenacity reductions from items / slow reduction mastery which you should have this will let you stick to targets while using abilities I usually buy these.
- Good if you are vs a heavy AD team that do not have a lot of slows or fed Ad champions and you need armor asap.
- Good if you are vs a lot of stuns/silences and need MR ASAP because of a fed ap carry and will not be buying Spirit of the ancient golem.
- If they lack CC and you don't plan on buying much items that grant cdr from other sources. You do not want to go over the CDR cap if you're buying this item.
- A must buy for me on skarner, you want to start fights as soon as you're 6 by engaging as much as possible with your ults and you want to win those fights. Bulwark makes your team tankier than theirs increasing your chance of winning those fights. Also allows you to dive much easier and do strong un-avoidable ganks from behind the enemies towers.
- If you are ahead early you can go this item to snowball harder it makes your ganks at 6+ even more deadly and allows you to make plays you couldn't usually do like invading the enemy jungler and killing him thanks to the new increased damage.
- A core item on skarner and must buy gives him the hp he needs for early game and the cdr is very useful.
- Good if you need to intiate and they have silences or ranged cc like anivia stun or ashe arrow.
- Incredible item on skarner makes your Q even more scary and allows you to peel even harder for your carries. However i would only go this if i got sheen early.
- Good if enemy ad carry is getting fed and you will need to shut him down, or if the enemy just has a lot of auto attack. Yi/trynd etc
- Good if its super lategame or you are fed and went a semi-tanky-damage build with not much resistances.
- Need some MR? 1-2 of these will help your mid-lategame significantly if the enemy AP carry is very fed like a leblanc/diana.
- Very situational if the enemy has a malz who keeps ulting you this will be a great investment.
- Makes your initiate even more powerful by initially slowing everyone around you when you run in and will lower the damage of the whole enemy team by lowering their AS, will also make you very hard to kite and you will be able to destroy the enemy backline unless the enemy peels.
- If the only real threat to you is magic damage, and your own team has strong magic damage and you are already pretty tanky or far ahead.
- if you are being focused by lots of AD Autoattack this is a great item also if the enemy has a lot of lifesteal.
- Very good for split pushing if the enemy team has very good waveclear or if your comp is Aoe/ the enemy team has a lot of melee champions/AD.
- If your team is running a heavy split push comp this could be a good investment. Highly situational.
- Laning vs Heavy AP team always a great item unless you're cdr capped increases your health reg and health back from your E.
- Must have item on skarner, gives him everything he needs and makes your flash ult devastating.
- Good if you're supporting or you were set behind early and need to make up for the time lost, you can get this to ensure your mid-late game.
Items not listed are items I do not buy on skarner, if you think an item not listed should be here please say in the comments and why.
This Enchantment Grants you additional CDR for your summoner spell Flash. This helps tremendously. With this you can get your Flash CD to 188seconds which means you can do a lot more ultimates in a games progress which could mean more won teamfights in your favour. This is by far the best enhancement for skarner since works so well with his .
Flash ults are devasting with skarner especially once you have shurelyas combined with your W and any other movement modifying abilities your team may have. It's very hard for enemy carries to avoid and once grabbed their only saving grace is
Your Situational option is:
Only get this enhancment if you're being forced to turtle in your base and the enemies are splitpushing a lot. It means you can quickly base and run back to defend a tower. It's also very good vs poke comps as when they poke you down you can regen fast and comeback to full hp again and initiate.
Because It costs additional gold to enchance your boots, don't rush your enhancement. I never get an enhancement before
When to pick SkarnerWhen skarner is a good pick
- when you have high burst on your team
- You have champions with movement speed modifiers
- You have champions with Hard CC
- The enemy team lacks CC
- The enemy team has a lot of squishys
- The enemy doesnt have a lot of disengage
- The enemy is running a poke comp
- You have a or
When skarner is a bad pick
- They have a lot of tanks or bruisers
- They have AS lowering abilities
- They have a lot of CC
- They have hard disengage
Skarner shines best in premade 5s or in soloq when you have stable lanes with hard cc who aren't going to lose lane before level 6
Synergy With SkarnerSkarner can fit into pretty much every team comp because of how much utility he provides but champions that go especially well with him are as follows.
Ashe ults the enemy carry and that makes it very easy for skarner to ult them and drag them into his team.
Orianna places her ball on skarner and speeds him up, skarner runs into the enemy team, ori ults while skarner Q perma slows whole team very good disruption and makes it very hard for the enemy team to get to the backline without first focusing skarner or flashing out during that time his team should be able to clean up.
Speed up skarner + team to chase down and engage on the enemy.
Black shield + Skarner = means skarner's engage cannot be stopped, not to forget morgana Q which can allow skarner to easily ult someone. I think morgana has one of the the best synergies with skarner.
Lulu ults skarner = anyone being chased by skarner or near skarner is going to get slowed and disrupted heavily if they stay near him.
Skarner ults the enemy ad carry and brings him to mordekaiser...
Pretty much anyone with hard cc works well with skarner this includes but is not limited to Lux, Anivia, Fiddlesticks, Leona, Zyra, Taric.
Also anyone with huge single target burst like Syndra, Leblanc, Darius, Olaf etc.
Assuming you are blue side(If purple just do the inverse)
These are the ideal spots to ward, this is where you and your team should be warding.
Make sure you are using and keeping track of your wards !
LEARN THIS TO BE A GOD OF THE JUNGLE
SMITE DAMAGE CHART
Level Total Damage
1 - 490
2 - 520
3 - 550
4 - 580
5 - 610
6 - 640
7 - 670
8 - 700
9 - 730
10 - 760
11 - 790
12 - 820
13 - 850
14 - 880
15 - 910
16 - 940
17 - 970
18 - 1000
A good jungler times as much camps as he can, if you can time all the buffs dragons and nashors and use the times to the advantage (know where the enemy jungler is, know when hes doing a certain buff and tell your team when to be careful for ganks and when it's safe) you will quickly see yourself winning more games.
- 50 Seconds
- 1 minute
- 1 minute
- 5 minutes
- 5 minutes
- 6 minutes
- 7 minutes
! - Means you can fight the enemy jungler here
* - Means use smite
Standard Jungle Route
The most standard route, do this if you just want to get to lvl 6 fast.
If the enemy jungler has a shaco/shyv/shyvana or anyone who will likely try to steal your red ask your support to place a ward inside the red buff brush so that the ward will be able to see the red on spawn.
If someone appears there ping it so your lanes will collapse on him and your team may end up getting an easy first blood.
Smiteless Earlygank Route
Do this route if the enemy has someone who will push a lot early like mordekaiser or someone weak like nasus who should be shutdown or if the enemy jungler is slow and started blue you take his red and then gank top if thats the case.
Smiteless Countergank/Counterjungle Route
Do this route if you want to countergank the enemy jungler top if it's a lee sin for example or if the enemy jungler is weak early like amumu you can start red and then try to kill him at his red and then take his red or just take his red if its someone really slow.
Stole their blue lvl 1 Secure own blue Route
Self explanatory: Take your blue fast or your lvl 1 invade was pointless.
Trick enemy jungler route
I love doing this in soloqueue basically you need to know the enemy is starting their blue, make sure your red is warded and start their red after wraiths then do golems and make sure to show yourself top by walk a bit above double golems so the minion wave sees you, the enemy jungler will see you have his red and so willl be mad and go to your red to try and steal it, you will see him doing it by the ward and then can tell your bot/mid lane to sandwhich him and kill him.
These guys are easy for you to push over either by simply farming jungle and getting lvls faster than them and snowballing the game out of control by being more useful or by counterjungling them until they afk
These can be problems if they get ahead early through a lucky gank or simply a bad lvl 1 fight otherwise you should be fine you can beat them early 1v1 if you catch them in your jungle or atleast stall long enough for your teammates to react and kill them.
These guys can destroy you and snowball the game out of control if you make a single mistake earlygame you must secure both your buffs on first clear. Make sure you ward your red if you start blue or ward your blue if you start red and if you see them there instantly get your team to react.
They will gank early most likely right after their first buff it's usually obvious where theyre going to go look at your lanes and where they started, if your top is overextending and the enemy jungler started red theres a 90%chance hes going to gank top, try and countergank. If you cant go with your mid or support and steal his blue for example.
Early GameSpam Q constantly while clearing camps, any bit of your passive wasted means free damage on you and slower clear times which could be the difference between you getting a kill and you dying. Don't smite wraiths if you plan to do double golems use it there instead.
If a nearby lane is fighting or getting ganked instantly stop whatever you're doing and move to help them this is one of the hardest things for junglers to do and it's what separates good junglers from bad junglers, most times you think you wouldn't be able to save someone you actually can. If you think the enemy jungler is at one of your camps or you plan on invading the enemy jungler make sure you tell your laners first so they know to react if things get messy.
ALWAYS PING when you are going to gank while moving towards the lane so the person knows to get ready. If you ping too early or too late they may engage and scare the enemy away or have a 1v1 and die and then cry to you for ''baiting'' him. Don't do dumb dives like diving a sona 1 for 1 you should pride yourself more than that, you should aim every game to die 0 Times.
It is very easy as skarner to have 0 deaths per game, try it. Don't fuck up ganks if you die to an enemy lane and give them double buff you will be hearing about it all game long and will look like a noob. If the enemy has an early ganker like ali they will most likely try and gank mid at lvl 2-3 try and countergank.
You are insanely strong at lvl 3 with red try and use it, invade enemy jungle if you know you can beat them for example an amumu. If you managed to secure enemy blue and your red on lvl 1 give your own blue to your mid it will help him win lane.
If your mid laner sucks take all the blues, blue on skarner is VERY strong in soloq i pretty much always take 1st and 2nd blue unless i have an anivia, swain, cass, kass or some other very blue dependent mids as i like to carry the game myself than give a blue to a mid who might suck and just hand it to the enemy mid moments later.
TIME YOUR BUFFS AND THE ENEMIES BUFFS, hell if you are planning to hardcore counterjungle you can even time the enemies small camps.
WARD FOR YOUR TEAM!!! if your teammates are too dumb to ward their own lanes ward it for them, if they already have their lanes warded ward inside the enemies jungle if a lane can see the enemy jungler it means they can start going agressive or passive depending on where the jungler is. By warding the enemy jungle it also makes it easier for you to counter jungle.
Mid GameYou start trying to take towers, start with top tower if you can get top tower that means it's harder for the enemy to contest dragons as the lane will have more space to be pushed back (unless however the enemy top has tp - however this means he will lose minions to tower if its pushed).
After the first drake fight you should have top tower now if you have done everything correctly if not tell your toplaner to push it and try and dive top with him and mid to take it. Next gank bot through a lane gank and kill them and get the tower if that isn't possible simply dive them with your mid and get it. Or just push lane with 3-4 if mid needs to come and get it.
Next if you haven't already got mid tower gank mid and once you kill them push the tower with your lane partner to get the tower. If this isnt possible tell your lanes to collapse on mid and push it as 5 and get it down.
Mid tower is the most valuable as it opens up their entire jungle meaning you can easily steal buffs, second is top tower for the 4v5 drake fights and lastly is bot tower.
Late GameAll Tier 1 towers should be down now and you and your team should have nashor warded from 20mins onward. If you are ahead get a pink and clear nash try and bait them if you can by waiting in a brush near nash and when someone gets close just ult them they should insta die and this will mean you can force nash fight. If their ad carry is botlane while you and your team are at nash and you know they have no wards just start it.
Make sure to time all inhibitors, inhibs respawn after 5 minutes if you time inhibs you are a better player. Make sure you have wards around the map especially in soloq where people love to get caught and then blame the fact there is only 2 wards on the map. If your team is getting caught in late game it will probably mean a loss for you.
Try and catch the enemy in their jungle by using oracles to clear wards and roaming around until someone comes to do wraiths or take their red for example. Keep your lanes pushed, If your team is derping around and farming jungle while bot tower is being seiged by minions tell them to go farm it. If you have no map pressure you will eventually lose. The ideal situation for you is to have all your lanes pushing all the time.
When your team has nashor make sure you use it try and push down towers, if the enemy has good waveclear let your team poke them down and when theyre low enough flash engage on one of their carries and you should win the game there and then. Remember in most cases towers are more imporant than dragons and nashors as nashors/drakes can always be used later to bait more fights if you are ahead where as towers are invaluable.
TELL YOUR SUPPORT TO KEEP WARDING! - as by now you have probably sold your ward item for a 6th item.
Pre 6 Ganking
There are very specific circumstances that allow you to pull off successful ganks pre 6 as skarner.
- Early redbuff gank top
- If enemy is heavily over extended
- 3man gank with your toplane/midlane/support to another another lane.
With every gank pre 6 you should try and q a minion when in lane before qing the enemy so your next Q will slow them.
If you plan to do an early redbuff gank top and you are blueside you should tell your toplane to take wolves and you go Wraiths>SmitelessRed>SmiteBlue. You should be lvl 3 if one of your derp teammates didn't leach XP should be able to do a very strong gank on top and have a high chance of killing them if not you should make them use flash.
If you are Purple you should tell your toplane to take wraiths and you go Wolves>SmitelessBlue>Smite Red.
If the enemy is pushing their lane hardcore ask your teammate where the enemy wards are and gank avoiding the wards and just W To them and begin W>Q>W>Q until they burn flash or die.
If you have a taric/blitz you can setup a 3man gank, you can do this by invading the topside jungle lvl 1 either their red or blue (depending on which side) and they will help you do the buff smiteless then you both go top and gank you should 100% get a kill if you don't someone failed and you will atleast get flash blown.
If you are an experienced jungler you should know other junglers routes based on where they start. If you ward enemy jungle on lvl 1 for example their wraiths or their blue and you see the jungler starting at red(purpleside) for example and it's a lee sin he is 100% going to gank top in the next 30 seconds. So knowing that you can start red smiteless and do blue fast and run top if your toplane can bait well you should be able to catch lee sin in the river brush and kill him.
LVL 6 Ganking
At 6 ganking becomes childs play, simply avoid wards and you can initiate with your ult shurelias and w or add in flash if you think it's needed due to their high cc or disengage abilities.
If you are playing top and have TP tell your lanes to ward brushes pref with a pink so theres no chance a ward will spot you tping and just tp and W>SHURELIAS>FLASH>R and drag them to the rest of your team and put them behind you to get dunked.
Team FightsIn teamfights you have two priorities
- Ult their AD carry/AP carry
- Protect your AD carry
AD carries are a teams main source of damage if an AD carry dies it usually means that team loses the fight.
You should always try and flash Ult their AD carry if possible into your team to engage.
However never ever chase their ad carry on your own, once they are low and out of the fight go back to your team and defend your own AD.
If the enemy team has a toplaner like darius, just ult him in fights and he will drop quickly same for mordekaiser.
Basically you either want to use your ult to negate damage eg ulting someone who would otherwise dish out tons of damage or ult someone who you and your team can instantly kill aka squishy ad carry.
You don't want to ult a cassiopeia in your team who has rylais when your team isn't right next to you and then by the time your team get their your ult finishes and she just ults your entire team.
You need to judge yourself when to ult and what to ult this comes with experience.
A guide to ULT Priority
Jungler/Top Lane(Biggest threat)
Jungler/Top Lane(Least threat)
It is not always easy to chose a target as situations can arise that can put you in a bad position to ult the most favourable targets for example
- if the enemy has strong kite and you do not have flash.
- If the enemy has QSS
- If the enemy has CC negating abilities
- If the enemy has Guardians Angel or GA type abilities
- The enemy has a fed assassin who is ripping through your backline
When using your ult make sure to turn around in the last second so they end up behind you, this cuts off their escape route and also places them further away from their original location.
I was going to jungle kayle this game but i noticed we had Morg/Lulu = epic synergy with skarn, we then also got panth which works well.
Final CommentsI hope through this guide you have learnt a lot about skarner and see how lethal he is in soloqueue and premade games.
If you have any questions please do send me them.
If you liked this guide please like my Facebook page http://www.Facebook.com/LOLNinjafuya
Thanks for reading!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSWhy does trinity force suck? - because it doesn't give you a lot of utility at all. you're paying 4200g for an item that doesnt give you much health meaning you won't be surviving in fights to get the most out of this item anyways. Trinity is for champions that have high burst like irelia and jax who get in kill someone and get out or kill someone else after. Skarner is the complete opposite, he slowly kills people with sustained damage and to do this he needs to tank through the punishment. This item does not make you tanky at all, you just spent 4200g on an item that doesnt make you tanky, so you're going to explode in fights before you get to deal any damage when you could have brought frozen fist, frozen heart, randuins, warmogs, thornmail instead.