About Me and the Guide
Hello, my name is Anthony and I'm going to start by telling you this is a guide that is intended for people that are new to Jax or people that are looking for a pretty standard build if they are unsure about the season 3 changes.
I am NOT a high elo player by any means but that doesn't mean that whatever i say is irrelevant. This is a great resource if you are unsure about lane matchups or whatever it may be i will keep this info up to date every patch.
WHO IS JAX?
Jax is a melee range champion who has hybrid damage that has great scaling throughout the game. He is a top pick in tournys and solo queue alike. His skill set is potent at carry slaying and mitigation to AoE champs and Auto Attack champions. Because of all these attributes he fits the top lane meta extremely well.ALTHOUGH he can Jungle this guide is going to focus on the top lane flavor where i think he is the strongest due to his mobility and higher salary obtained in a solo lane through minions.
Masteries21-9 is my preference always whenever i play Jax. Since he is hybrid damage dealer it is most beneficial for him to get the dual penetration in this tree to make his hits a lot stronger from mid-late game. The 9 points in defense obtain the extra sustain he needs in lane to trade well.
Other options you can use are 9-21 or 15-15 but i still think executioner is the best option for all stages of the game.
RunesThese marks are ideal for any AD based top laner since they make early last hitting and trading an ease
You use armor seals because the majority of other tops are AD based. These also make you tankier in early game team fights.
Scaling MR makes it so you are not one shot by enemy APC's in mid-late game
For Quints see the marks^
Flash did get nerfed but is still great for what it does in securing kills and escaping
A sample scenario for Kill securing would be when you Q+E someone and they flash you can flash after them resulting in a kill possibly
Note: ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR 200% SURE IT WILL RESULT IN A KILL
Ignite provides the extra OOMPH you need in your burst combo or can provide invaluable heal reduction for high sustain targets such as:Swain,Irelia,Voli
Teleport is the only other option i would consider here if you get countered or on the receiving end of Shen.
Passive: Relentless Assault
This is what makes Jax the potent duelist everybody knows of. Makes you win prolonged trades automatically activating using your AA and W in rapid sucession is a 20% Attack speed gain in about a second.
Q: Leap Strike
I max this second, Decent damage but with a high mana cost. You can jump to allies/wards/enemys just about everything that is targetable. This scales pretty well with AD so its more practical to max W instead because it has a high base damage with a low cost and resets your auto attack
Your Bread and Butter,Nachos and Cheese,Tea and Crumpets or whatever you call it skill. This can outright win you trades, proc your passive,Proc sheen it is just an all around amazing skill to have maxed first. With a mana cost that is lower than q it is quite spammable in lane.
Note:Almost always use right after an auto attack to build your passive up and your ult passive up.
E: Counter Strike
100% dodge for 2 seconds! What is not to like about this skill. It provides CC and durability. This is what makes you the hard counter to AoE damage dealers like Karthus or Anivia and Auto Attackers like Irelia or Rengar. It also has deceptive early game damage that many people unless they play Jax don't understand.
Note: Activate after dealing damage with AA or W then the attacks from minions will boost your damage up and also not to mention will result in your mitigating a lot of minion hostility.
R: Grandmaster's Might
The passive on this ultimate deal a large sum of magic damage on each 3rd attack making Jax have insane burst for knocking enemies off their feet.The activation is no slouch either making Jax into an insta tank. Jax is usually an attractive target in team fights since it relieves Tons of damage and pressure. By activating this you turn this choice into a difficult one since he will be very tanky. Just remember not to pop this until you take damage since it kinda makes it pointless to use it before they even choose to attack you. As with any ultimate max it 6,11 and 16
Note:The passive of this ability can be manipulated by attacking 2 creeps then the opposing champion for some quick burst.
Also i didnt include a skill order chapter since i think i explained in pretty good right here.
Item BuildsCOMING SOON 3-4 DAYS
LANE MATCHUPSCOMING SOON AFTER MORE JAX PLAY
- Focus on Farming Minions(60-80 CS By 10 Minutes is what you want)
- Only trade if you know your going to win it or force summoners/skills(Vlad Pool, Olaf ult etc)
- Keep Track of Enemy Jungle(If you see that jungle is dead/bot/low or something like that you can push)
- Keep your lane warded
- Freeze your lane if you ask for ganks or your jungler is nearby
- Don't get baited(if you yourself wouldn't of initiated a fight against yourself in the scenario expect that it is a bait)
Your most common trading combo is going to be Q-E-AA-W from level 3 and beyond
Auto Attacking the enemy champion and then activating W right after provides good harass
You can make use of your two passives(Innate and Ult ) before trading by attacking minions in advance(2 times) before using your trade combo
Many people wont expect the damage at level 6 netting a free kill
- Remember Lane Responsibly
Mid GameThis is the period of the game when Jax begins to outscale other bruisers TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT!!! By doing these steps:
- Always go to Dragon fights if you have the option, the global gold it gives is beneficial to everyone including you.
- Don't Overextend unless you know everyones whereabouts and have good map vision
- Focus the enemy adc
- Roaming mid can help snowball yourself and your mid
- Don't chase a kill unless your positive you will not run into your demise(If you force somebody to go recall and you go back into lane and push it, you are essential giving yourself more gold and denying enemy gold gains and might take a tower. If you chase get a kill and die you are just trading rather than winning the exchange
- If your team is ahead your team can siege towers
Mid game is usually when games are decided so do everything in your power to give you and your team advantages
Late GameAt this point you should have 3-4 items at your disposal and ready to unleash havoc.
- Gauge whether its important to focus their Adc or protect yours.(If they have a Graves and you have a Vayne that are equally fed who are you protecting?)
- Keep every lane pushed(This greatly increases your teams chance of going for a baron or being in position to contest)
- Stay in mid lane,Top lane or the top jungle 25+minutes in so you can react to a baron(If not done you can throw games)
- Don't get greedy(1 tower and Baron is alot better than 2 towers and an inhib but then getting killed and baroned on)
- Make sure if your team fighting to not be dispersed unless its for a reason(nunu ult or mumu or something)
- If you can split push do it(If you see their team shifting remember to be safe rather than sorry)
No Team Fighting section since i think this explains it well
COMMENT PLEASERemember to comment on anything in this guide. Whether its a spelling error, different setup or something you would like to see... I will consider it when i update this guide every 2-3 days
In the next 2 weeks you can expect:
Don't down vote me because this guide isn't totally complete, Look at the info and tell me what you would like to see different in this guide.
I am opening it to the Solomid.net community so i can create a guide that is tailored to what you guys want.
Thanks and have a happy holiday everyone!